Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get annulment in ireland? as it was sham marraige?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

i m form india..... and currently living in india but i use to live in ireland and in january 2010 i got married in dublin in civil rigistarar office .... to a lativian girl whom i paid money ............ i have done all this to get residency in ireland .......... we never knew each other we just met couple of times ...never had sex never lived together she even cant speak english .....at the time off marraige the rigistarar a lady she told me at the end off ceremony that she belives this is sham marraige ( marraige of convinence) and she is going to report to immigration (GNIB) so i got afraid and never applied for residency and after 3 months i left ireland for ever .... as my visa was expired . i was on student visa in ireland ............ as now i m in india can i apply for annulment ....... i donot know whereabouts of my so called wife ..........

any idea how can i get annulment?

how much it cost ?

whats the procedure?

how much time it take ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Legal Advice. Solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

haib29 wrote: »
    i m form india..... and currently living in india but i use to live in ireland and in january 2010 i got married in dublin in civil rigistarar office .... to a lativian girl whom i paid money ............ i have done all this to get residency in ireland .......... we never knew each other we just met couple of times ...never had sex never lived together she even cant speak english .....at the time off marraige the rigistarar a lady she told me at the end off ceremony that she belives this is sham marraige ( marraige of convinence) and she is going to report to immigration (GNIB) so i got afraid and never applied for residency and after 3 months i left ireland for ever .... as my visa was expired . i was on student visa in ireland ............ as now i m in india can i apply for annulment ....... i donot know whereabouts of my so called wife ..........

any idea how can i get annulment?

how much it cost ?

whats the procedure?

how much time it take ?

Is there any particular reason you wish to get the annullment? Do you wish to return to Ireland?

I can't recommend that you do so as in seeking the annullment, you are essentially pleading guilty to engaging in a sham marriage and you'll be deported anyway. I think you should accept that you will not be able to return to Ireland in any legal capacity without the assistance of a very good solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If he did not apply for residency I don't see any offence committed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well clearly the OP by his own admission was attempting to purchase a VISA by fraudulent means. So if this is is an offence that has an option of being an offence if attempted well yes he has.

Example if you produce a stolen credit card and the staff member cops it and refuses to accept it. You are still guilty of attempted fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No offence is committed until an application is made to GNIB.

All he has done so far is marry some unknown woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Suppose your right there unless paying someone to Marry you is an offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

No offence is committed until an application is made to GNIB.

All he has done so far is marry some unknown woman.

OP married in January 2010 and was on a student visa at the time. I presume this was because he could not renew his student visa again due to the new rules introduced in January 2010. He then left without making an application for residency. Registrar said she would report the matter to the GNIB which I'd have to presume she did.

He's going to have a problem obtaining any permission to remain in the state as he has no grounds to stay anyway (presuming he has exhausted his student visa options) and a report to the GNIB about the sham marriage will be an issue for any subsequent application for permission. He could try and get in on the new visit scheme for the Olympics but this is only a visit visa and he will not be able to stay any longer.

I can't seem to find an offence of entering into a sham marriage, I think the offence was in the never implemented residence and protection bill so I don;t think he's open to prosecution.

Is the OP going to have to get a divorce in the circumstances? I'd have thought he'd have a hard time getting an annullment in the circumstances.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

I am going to start infracting those above who reply with what might be understood to be advices.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement