Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Heron (was- Bird id)

Options
  • 30-05-2011 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I was salmon fishing on the slaney river valley yesterday evening. Along the bank I disturbed a heron like bird, that flew 100 metres downstream and landed again. This carried on for over a mile and I got some very good views of the bird and some good sillouhetes when it was perched on riverside branches. It light down on muddy banks and on branches.
    Descriptions: Light brown across all the top side of the bird, lighter underneath, had a grey/whiteish patch on top towards rump, and definate yellow legs. flew like a heron slow wingbeats. Size about half size of heron, although wingspan probably two thirds. Legs not visible behind the birds when flying athough obvious when taking off, outline when on a branch, like a heron with really small legs, i.e base of bird blended with what it was sitting on.
    Now I'm 95% sure it is bittern of some type, although it could be some really rare type of heron.
    Any ideas?
    Rgds
    Bibio
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

You probably saw a young grey heron. Bittern (Great or little) are rare as hen's teeth in Ireland and will be only found in extensive reed.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

Hi Traonach,

Defo not a grey heron, for one thing, herons arent fully fledged yet, but I can say 100% not a grey heron, I spend a lot of time out int he field and have seen many heronarys and heron at all stges of development. In fact I rented a flat once that overlooked a heronry and you could see into the nests.
    In temrs of what I saw, i saw it a close quarters for over an hour, since my post I have been looking on birds ireland and researching image of bitterns. I see bitterns were seen in Tacumshin in March this year, this would not be a million miles from where I saw it. Also on the images I have reviewed, I can now say for 100% it was a bittern. They only thing throwing me was, it could have been a night or purple heron, but after googling images of all, I'm fully satisifed it was a bittern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Certainly not a Bittern
    I was drawn to a Juvenile Grey Heron but they have dull Grey/Brown legs and not the " definite yellow" as described. The timing is right for young Herons however.

Forgot to mention, bird also kept his head pointed up into the air on at least two of the occasions, I saw it on the ground or low branch. I saw the bird on the ground or branch on at least ten occasions, at a distance of about 15 to 20 metres (width of river).
    Thinking back on it, the two occasions it had beak pointed skywards, it had alighted down where there was a decent bit of bankside cover. I knew where it was each time as I could always see where it landed, at no stage did it fly further than about 100 metres downstream. After about a mile it flew in an arc around me and back upstream, at which point I left it be and went fishing
    I have these links beloe from an Irish bird watching site, and my bird is definately, 100% a bittern. I have looked at all the images listed of irish sightings, and defo a bittern. According to this site a couple are seen every year, there was a bird sited in tacumshin in March this year.

http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/29155/Bittern.html

http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/29092/Bittern.html

I guess I've just been lucky. I'm heading to the same location and it is well of beaten track so hopefully he is still there next weekend and I'll bring my SLR and silence any doubters :)

bibio wrote: »
    Hi Traonach,

Defo not a grey heron, for one thing, herons arent fully fledged yet, but I can say 100% not a grey heron, I spend a lot of time out int he field and have seen many heronarys and heron at all stges of development. In fact I rented a flat once that overlooked a heronry and you could see into the nests.
    In temrs of what I saw, i saw it a close quarters for over an hour, since my post I have been looking on birds ireland and researching image of bitterns. I see bitterns were seen in Tacumshin in March this year, this would not be a million miles from where I saw it. Also on the images I have reviewed, I can now say for 100% it was a bittern. They only thing throwing me was, it could have been a night or purple heron, but after googling images of all, I'm fully satisifed it was a bittern.
    A couple of things regarding Bittern. They are found alymost exclusively in extensive reedbeds. They are rarely found away from that habitat. They are an extremely rare migrant to this country.

They are super secretive. The chances of observing it at close quarters for an hour are remote (unless your in a hide). If the bittern knew you were close they would either try to camouflage itself by adopting the "bitterning posture" or they would fly well off They are the most difficult species of heron to observe (I've seen 26 species of heron).

However theoritically it is possible you saw a (Great) Bittern, so if in that case Well done:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Actually, I see there was a Night Heron in Tacumshin a few days ago...pics here: http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/34265/Night_Heron.html

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Actually, I see there was a Night Heron in Tacumshin a few days ago...pics here: http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/34265/Night_Heron.html
    Yep, I reckon thats your bird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well done! A lovely bird to have seen!:)

Yep, Night Heron it is. Guess the doubters were right :) It does look very like a bittern though for non expert. Those pictures are it to a tee.
    Thanks guys.
    bibio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Could it have been a bittern afterall?

I saw this on the irishbirding website.
    http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/34395/Bittern.html

Maybe the person who reported the sighting mixed it up with a night heron too?

• Advertisement

Could it have been a bittern afterall?

I saw this on the irishbirding website.
    http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/34395/Bittern.html

Maybe the person who reported the sighting mixed it up with a night heron too?

I'd say that's Bilbo perhaps, who reported the "Bittern".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Traonach wrote: »
    I'd say that's Bilbo perhaps, who reported the "Bittern".

You're probably right. It does say slaney river. The night heron does look so much like a bittern.

Yep, it was me, and I have advised bird site that I was mistaken and it is a night heron.
    Sounds like it was good sighting. I have been fishing and also deer stalking for the last twenty five years, and have seen some amazing sites in the field during that time, but I think this is the rarest bird I have seen.
    Thanks Again for all the replies.

bibio wrote: »
    Yep, it was me, and I have advised bird site that I was mistaken and it is a night heron.
    Sounds like it was good sighting. I have been fishing and also deer stalking for the last twenty five years, and have seen some amazing sites in the field during that time, but I think this is the rarest bird I have seen.
    Thanks Again for all the replies.
    I would still be cautious about thinking the bird was a juv Night heron. Although a night heron would be a more likely bird to see on the bank of the slaney it still would be a major rarity. Considering you were 100% satisfied it was a "Bittern" two days ago, I fear you still might be jumping the gun.

Thankfully the sighting has been removed from Joe Doolan's excellent site.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Here are 3 photos of a juv Night Heron (?) that I took while on holiday in Sanibel last year. May be they might help...:)

img6711c.jpg

img6714r.jpg

img6692l.jpg

Was out fishing again in the same stretch of the Slaney last evening, and saw the Night Heron again. Exact same area, only difference is he flew much further before lighting down. He afforded me a great view.

Advertisement