Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The right glass

Options
  • 30-05-2011 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I got myself a few Schneider original's (tap 7 i think)

I'm using an eidinger glass and I can't seem to get a decent head on the drink at all.

Tried a tilted slow pour, and a fast pour but the head died in a few seconds.

Is it the glass or?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I heard traces of detergents can ruin the head, so can fats, like if it has residues of milk in it, or peoples finger prints.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a bottle of the Tap 7 in an Erdinger last week and it was like someone had set a depth charge in the glass there was so much froth.

rubadub is right, a dirty glass (especially a glass from a dishwasher, i.e. residual detergents) has a huge affect on the head retention. I always get strange looks from friends/family when I wash a glass in their house that I know has been in a dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To pour a heffeweitzen you should pour gently down the side of the glass, not worrying too much about creating a head but leave a couple of cms in the end of the bottle. Swirl the bottle vigorously to dislodge the wheat from the bottom of the bottle and to foam up the remaining beer. Pour this thick foam into the glass. That head should stay longer.

An Erdinger glass is the correct style for any heffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

rubadub wrote: »
    I heard traces of detergents can ruin the head, so can fats, like if it has residues of milk in it, or peoples finger prints.

Bang on rubadub, kills beer and in fact any carbonated drink. I always hand wash my glasses and they never see detergent let alone the inside of a dishwasher.

In relation to the glass an Erdinger glass will do the job. If you've got one of these and a Westmalle glass it covers most types of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Thanks guys.

I think it was case of a not properly rinsed glass.

Pouring fine last night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Bang on rubadub, kills beer and in fact any carbonated drink. I always hand wash my glasses and they never see detergent let alone the inside of a dishwasher.

In relation to the glass an Erdinger glass will do the job. If you've got one of these and a Westmalle glass it covers most types of beer.

Hello

Aside from pubs, where can I get a set of weiss beer glasses?

Regards
    Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

A normal pint glass is best. I'm fed up getting these vase-like glasses for beers.

I like to know when I'm on the "home-stretch" :)

As long as it's clean and shiny, one of these is perfick

4803.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

redalan wrote: »
    Hello

Aside from pubs, where can I get a set of weiss beer glasses?

Regards
    Alan

Some of the good beer off licences have glasses from time to time and when your buying a couple of beers they'll normally throw one in if they have them for free. Just ask them if they have any beer glasses.

Off licences like Drinkstore in Stoneybatter, Redmonds in Ranelagh, Deveney's in Dundrum or any off licence that carries a good stock of beer may have glasses also.

In fact, Drinkstore also sell beer glasses online.

I was in eurospar the other day and there was some offer of a free glass with X amount of erdingers, maybe 6-12 bottles. I didn't see the glass but expect it is in other offies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

A normal pint glass is best. I'm fed up getting these vase-like glasses for beers.

I like to know when I'm on the "home-stretch" :)

As long as it's clean and shiny, one of these is perfick

4803.jpg

I wouldnt drink a trappist in that :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

rubadub wrote: »
    I was in eurospar the other day and there was some offer of a free glass with X amount of erdingers, maybe 6-12 bottles. I didn't see the glass but expect it is in other offies too.

Its 5 bottles of wheat beer. RRP is €12.99 and 5 bottles of Non Alcoholic RRP is €9.99

You get a free glass with each. The Non Alcoholic Glass is different to the usual affair here in Ireland.

I actually have numerous Erdinger Football shaped Glasses in the warehouse as well. Could get €5 each on Ebay I understand. :p

Getting the right head on wheat beer for me is:

Tilt the glass, hold the bottle right up to the glass when pouring. Stop when 1/3 is left. Roll the bottle or swirl it to create a head within the bottle and pour again. You get a nice "Continental" head on the beer. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Slightly OT but I was in the States a few weeks ago and was dismayed that Sam Adams have gone down the route of promoting their proprietary glass, it smacks to me of something you do when you can't think of anything to say about your beer anymore - I can perfectly understand it with regard to the glasses for wheat beer and trappists but this was for their Boston Lager and Ale, normal pint glasses are fine but this had all the typical macro beer rubbish about dimpled bottom of the glass to retain bubbles etc it was very reminiscent of a Bud/Carlsberg/Heinekin ad.

http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-beer/tasting-eval/function-over-form.aspx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sammalone

Clean glass is very important alright. The Germans always rinse out their glass with cold water before they pour their beer too.
    I'm in Cork and have a few Schneider glasses spare if anyone dying for a proper glass. Work in a small pub and we only need a handful but we have too many

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sammalone wrote: »
    Clean glass is very important alright. The Germans always rinse out their glass with cold water before they pour their beer too.
    I'm in Cork and have a few Schneider glasses spare if anyone dying for a proper glass. Work in a small pub and we only need a handful but we have too many

What pup is it?
    I'm always interested to know what pubs in Cork stock Schneiderweiss

The Germans always rinse out their glass with cold water before they pour their beer too.
    In holland they often have what looks like a toilet brush pointing upwards in a sink of water and they put the glass down and rinse it, I know some of these units squirt water out when you press down on the brush. Always looks nasty to me as it is often diluted with beer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_head
    Importance of the glass

Properties of the glass can also influence a beer head,[2] with a roughened surface at the base of glass known as a widget, providing for nucleation of carbon dioxide deep in the beverage rather than at the surface, resulting in a slower release of gas to the atmosphere. While glass is completely nonporous, its surface can retain oil from the skin, aerosolized oil from nearby cooking, and traces of fat from food. When these oils come in contact with beer there is a significant reduction in the amount of head (foam) that is found on the beer, and the bubbles will tend to stick to the side of the glass rather than rising to the surface as normal.

For proper foam formation, it is also important to dry the glass thoroughly after washing. Any water in the glass can prevent excitement of the gas by covering designs set in the bottom of the glass, thus making the beer flat.

Conversely, some styles such as Belgian witbier benefit from being poured into a wet glass to control the often profusive head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Yep see this in Belgium also in some places.

But 1 bar I goto there just shoots water up into the glass and no "toilet brush" device is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'd love to take some off your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Yep see this in Belgium also in some places.

But 1 bar I goto there just shoots water up into the glass and no "toilet brush" device is involved.

The toilet brush thing is only when cleaning the glass as far as I remember. Before serving its just a water nozzle with no brush as far as I've ever seen.

The idea (I've been told) is to be able to pour quickly the beer without having an enormous head coming up caused by dust etc. This is rarely needed in Ireland cause the glasses are so regularly used, whereas in Belgium the glasses are much less often used cause of the larger selection and longer tun around per customer. (There's also probably some effect of the tendency to produce a head: I'm looking at you Orval!)

Advertisement