Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Ladies [VH1 - US]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

For those interested, ep. 1 which happens to be a VH1 movie turned tv series is out....did well in the ratings but has been critically panned, be interesting to see how it performs from here on in.

I watched both episodes today, ep. 2 was much better, the tone was lighter...more humour. Stacy Dash is by far the best thing about it, character and acting wise....but i'm not suggesting for one moment she fantastic, just better then the rest. This is basically aimed at women, not teens....we're talking 18-34.

It's also a show aimed at the BET market, Black Entertainment Television, it's the VH1 version of The Game with a hint of Sex & The City, alot of the characters are actually unlikeable as they are shallow, vain, consumed by playing games (relationship games), cheating, gossip, fakery, money, bling, clothes.....basically these three women are your Kardashian types.

Dash is much more likeable a earthy the then other two who steal and have affairs and slut around, least Dash's character is looking for love and monagomy. There isin't alot of depth or insight here, you're not gonna come away wiser.

The language and "lingo" is very "black", if you've ever seen some of those movies that feature an all black cast and has finger wavin', dissin' cheatin' BF's and husbands etc.
    It's just like that, it's aimed at a very specific demographic.

Ep. 2 numbers were identical to the premiere....by VH1 standards this is a hit!

Ep. 3 was identical to the first two episodes, 1.8m with a 1.0 Adult demo....very consistent and again by VH1 standrads it's a hit, if it continues it's a sure thing for renewal.

Dunno if anyone is watching this, but i am....the bloody thing has me hooked!

:o

I feel shame, but hey..... :p
    It's drivel but kinda enjoyable, ratings still going strong...guaranteed renewal.

• Advertisement

ABOUT TIME! http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=153473

"Here's another reason the press ought to be paying more attention to "Single": It features more black actors in leading roles than any other hour-long drama on basic cable television -- or broadcast, for that matter. For all the pomp and circumstance and hiring of special executives to oversee such matters that has been a part of network life since the mid-'90s (when every show suddenly looked as white-washed as "Dawson's Creek" and "Friends"), the absence of African Americans in leading roles on television series remains profound. (Just look at the first round of new series coming in the 2011-12 season.) The cast of "Single Ladies" -- including Stacey Dash as love-challenged boutique owner Val, LisaRaye McCoy as the supremely self-confident Keisha, D.B. Woodside as wealthy businessman Malcolm and Travis Winfrey as Val's assistant Omar -- is so appealing that I can't help but wonder why this is so? (Rounding out the cast are two white actresses, Charity Shea as April, an aspiring music industry executive caught in a messy divorce after her affair with the mayor - played by rapper Common -- and Kassandra Clementi as party girl Christina, an intern at Val's store.)"

^ hell to the yes!, someone needs to champion this bas*ard child of cable tv which gets no love, no buzz and no critic reviews....personally, i've really grown to like the three main girls over the course of six episodes, in fact last weeks ep. was the best thus far + funniest.

Look, it's cheesy...it's for women, aimed at the BET sector, but i actually LIKE watching this show now, no shame just pure guilty pleasure.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/VH1-Single-Ladies-Video-Exclusive-1035053.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3 exuma

I love SINGLE LADIES! My friend character is Keisha.

exuma wrote: »
    I love SINGLE LADIES! My friend character is Keisha.

Cool! :) - Lisa-Ray is hot, she's a good character on the show....last night ep. sealed the deal on Keisha and Malcolm, pretty good episode again last night and Queen Latiffa was a good guest star, i'm pretty confident it'll get a second season :)

SCORE!!!!!...WOO HOO!! :D
    As i expected/predicted VH1 has ordered a second series....get in!!!!!! :D

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/07/18/vh1-renews-single-ladies-for-a-second-season/98214/

Series finale tonight :( ...i'll miss it, really grown to like it over the series, it's cheesy as hell aimed at women but i can't help myself watching! :o

http://www.vh1.com/shows/single_ladies/series.jhtml

• Advertisement

The season finale tonight was really good!

Damn, Val!

exuma wrote: »
    The season finale tonight was really good!

Damn, Val!

What an end!! :p - poor Val, the worst example of bad timing ever! ;)
    The thing with Keisha and the FBI....do you suspect Malcolm is playing another headgame with her?....like it's a setup, a test to see if she could be trusted/would rat him out?

I think it's just a staged scene and that Malcom will pull out a huge engagament ring, the one he was hiding the design from earlier in the episode. April's story kinda got resolved rather too easily imo, i hope Val and Jerry can work it out....but it IS Single Ladies, so one assumes next seasons they all have to be well, um....single for further drama and hookups ;)

I've really enjoyed the show alot, i look forward to it each week + after the first 5 eps. i upgraded my viewing to 720p HD...a clear sign i'm into a show :)

Ratings...season high for SL, 1.1 demo with 2.182m viewers: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/08/09/monday-cable-ratings-pawn-stars-american-pickers-wwe-raw-top-night-closer-rizzoli-switched-at-birth-eureka-much-more/100024/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭alcomoholic

is this along the lines of jersey shore/towie/geordie shore etc etc rich?

is this along the lines of jersey shore/towie/geordie shore etc etc rich?

No...lol!, it's cheesy but not quite that trashy. This is a relationship soapy drama, it's aimed at women, mostly an almost all black cast save for a few tokens here and there, one of the three mains girls is April who is white but married to a black guy.

It's a mash of The Game with hints of Sex & The City, tbf they've toned down the "black" elements since the third episode which i think gives it a more broad appeal.

It's a show you must judge for yourself, it's definately not for everyone.

:eek::eek::eek:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/31/stacey-dash/

Stacey Dash was the big reason i tuned in, wtf am i/VH1 gonna do now?????

:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

:eek::eek::eek:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/31/stacey-dash/

Stacey Dash was the big reason i tuned in, wtf am i/VH1 gonna do now?????

:(:(:(:(

Was she the main lead?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was she the main lead?

Yeah, she was the best of the three girls...she brought her Clueless A game.

It sucks that Stacy Dash is gone from the show. I wonder if the show will recast the Val role or create a new character.

• Advertisement

TOTALLY forgot about this!!....but season 2 kicked off on Monday, have it now :-)

Season 2 finale tonight, guaranteed renewal as ratings are hugely up on the first season, the loss of Stacy Dash had zero effect....the opposite happened.

Renewed for season 3!...this is a ZERO shock decision. Last year it was pulling a 1.0 demo and 1.8m viewers per ep., this year it pulled a 1.3-1.4 demo and 2.3-2.6m viewers....hugely up.

Fan of the show, seen every ep. - tis pure crap but enjoyable crap :-)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/08/22/single-ladies-renewed-by-vh1-for-third-season/145806/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement