Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert for Mature Students?

Options
  • 30-05-2011 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

A Canadian friend is considering immigrating to Ireland and becoming an Irish citizen. She missed the final year of her High School and is interested in the possibility of pursuing the Irish Leaving Cert as a mature student.

I know this makes for a complicated mixture, so if anyone can provide information on any of the following topics individually, I would be very grateful:

1) General information on studying for and taking the Leaving Cert as a mature student in Ireland. I really wouldn't know what advice to offer her regarding where to start, where to apply, how long it would take or how much it would cost.

2) Information on education rights for newly naturalised citizens (for example, through marriage). Would such a person need to wait a certain length of time after acquiring their citizenship before becoming eligible for any programs?

3) Any information on relevant financial issues would be appreciated. What are the likely costs for such programs, and are there typically government or council programs in place to offer financial assistance to mature students? If so, what are the conditions?

Like I said, I know it is a complicated issue, so if anyone is able to offer information on any aspect of it, I will be very grateful for the opportunity to try and piece all the parts of the puzzle together.

With Thanks,

Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Contact the DES and get concrete information. School are not obliged to take over 16s but some do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She should contact her local VEC. They have adult education officers employed to address just those sort of questions.

Advertisement