Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay - seller looking for more money!

Options
  • 30-05-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I bid and won on an item on ebay last week. Goods £44 and postage from UK to Ireland £15. All done and confirmed by ebay and paypal. Then i get an email from the seller on Saturday morning saying that when he went to the post office postage was £19.46. He wants me to send on the balance! On the sellers add it said postage would be between £10 and £15 so I was kind of suprised by the email! i have emailed ebay to ask them whats what but no response. A bit tight I thought asking for £4!! Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Ta

Greg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 azvor

Hello, The Seller is within his rights to demand more money for Postage costs...Yes, it's his fault that he mis-calculated the associated costs...but you cannot expect him(her??) to swallow the extra costs... Either Cancel the transaction via eBay & Paypal on the grounds that the Seller "mis-represented" the Postage costs or Accept the costs and pay the extra....

It's your choice in this matter...but now you do have grounds to cancel the transaction... Postal costs are a complete nightmare for both Sellers or Buyers on any auction site....especially when cross-border or international ...... IF you REALLY want this item and the Price was good value, Then...............you know what to do......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

You entered a contract when your bid was accepted including the stated postage.

Do not pay extra. (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭carwash106

It's highly likely that the ebay terms and conditions list exactly this issue, i.e. who is in the right or wrong.

Why don't you have a read through FAQs page or user agreement etc until you find what you are looking for.

Also avail of the ebay customer service who should reply back to an email or phone call.

Be sure to let us know what the final outcome of this issue is !!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

I will let you all know of the outcome. I do want the item and it was a reasonable deal although the higher the postage goes the less better the deal is! I just felt it was a little like false advertising giving a postal cost and then coming back looking for more. I know if it was me I would put it down as my mistake and just send it!

• Advertisement

I am speaking from both sides of the aisle here as an ebay Buyer & Seller...

I have had to endure the same type of experience that you are having with this Seller...and I have also had to inform buyers that the Postage costs would be slightly increased... I always forward them the Postal receipt as proof of cost as I do not believe in profiting from Postage as a very very few Sellers do...

However, you have to try and understand that most Sellers do not go through the bother of weighing their merchandise before going to the post office but rather "guesstimate" the costs when composing their Ad.

Postal costs both from and to Ireland are infamously higher than most locations...

I can receive items from China for a fraction of the cost of items to the UK or even Ireland itself...(Irish & UK Postal cartel ???????)

Anyway....Good Luck with the transaction...

By the way....What is the Sellers FeedBack like ?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

If the mistake was mine I would take the hit, if it was £5 or something.

Otherwise I would explain nicely and see if what they wanted to do. I understand though I cant demand extra delivery costs because I did not research and calculate them properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

azvor wrote: »
    Hello, The Seller is within his rights to demand more money for Postage costs...Yes, it's his fault that he mis-calculated the associated costs...but you cannot expect him(her??) to swallow the extra costs...

Once the auction ends, the seller cannot ask for more money from the buyer. If a complaint is made to eBay, they will tell the seller to send at the price that was paid. The seller can however refuse, and there's not a lot the buyer can do about it.

The buyer can decide what to do next, either pay or don't. It was the seller's responsibility to give the correct postage price, and if they didn't do that, then they should take the hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Yes, it's his fault that he mis-calculated the associated costs...but you cannot expect him(her??) to swallow the extra costs

That's madness tbh. Yes you can and you should expect the seller to take the hit and you'd be well within your rights to express dissatisfaction through feedback.

First couple of times I shipped some tech items, I underquoted postage. I'd view it as being very poor form to ask a buyer to compensate for an oversight on the sellers part.

That's madness tbh. Yes you can and you should expect the seller to take the hit and you'd be well within your rights to express dissatisfaction through feedback.

First couple of times I shipped some tech items, I underquoted postage. I'd view it as being very poor form to ask a buyer to compensate for an oversight on the sellers part.

I wonder if you would mind elucidating me on the meaning of your acronym "tbh" ????:confused:

• Advertisement

to be honest ;)

to be honest ;)

Thanks for that update.....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

Well I reluctantly sent on the extra for the postage. Fool and his money easily parted!! I got the following reply from ebay which may be of use to some of you in the future! Once the deal is done the deal is done and coming back for more money is between buyer and seller but there is no expectation for buyer to pay again! I am still waiting for my goods to arrive and I only paid so that I would have them for the weekend!!:o

Hello Greg,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear that your seller
    "jrjr999" is asking you to pay for an additional postage fee before
    posting the item you've won and you'd like to know what to do.

Please know that the seller is responsible for determining the postage
    and packaging charges on their listings, and eBay encourages sellers to
    clearly describe the item and terms of postage / delivery in their
    listings to avoid possible confusion. Before bidding on a listing,
    bidders should contact the seller about any questions they might still
    have that are not directly answered in the listing's description.

When a bid is placed, the bidder is entering into an agreement with the
    seller to purchase the item, which most often means incurring postage
    charges that may also include packaging fees.

I would encourage you to try and work this out with the seller. Usually
    these situations can be amicably resolved. To ask for the seller’s
    contact information, copy this link into a new browser window:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/ebayadvsearch/__W0QQ_advZ1QQ_sofindtypeZ25?_rdc=1

We also urge you to leave appropriate Feedback for this user via our
    Feedback Forum:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/services/forum/feedback.html

You can reach the Feedback Forum by clicking 'Services' and then
    'Feedback Forum' in the Navigation Bar.

Greg, I trust that this information is useful. If you have any further
    questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Catherine Sugar
    eBay Trust & Safety

The only thing I would add to this discussion at this point is to ask the Seller for a Postage receipt...then you can determine as to whether he is profiting from the deal and reflect this in his Feedback...which I hope you have not left, as yet !?!?!? ....

As I said before, you just cannot expect the Seller to swallow the costs of postage expenses....
    Finally, and now obviously, it's a good idea, if time permits, to ask for a personal quote upfront...then you have a stronger case afterwards and the Seller will be less likely to increase costs.....

I'm sure this is a lesson & experience that you wouldn't repeat...
    :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

I presume the seller want's to send it International Signed For, contact the seller and get it sent at the small packet rate

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

I bid and won on an item on ebay last week. Goods £44 and postage from UK to Ireland £15. All done and confirmed by ebay and paypal. Then i get an email from the seller on Saturday morning saying that when he went to the post office postage was £19.46. He wants me to send on the balance! On the sellers add it said postage would be between £10 and £15 so I was kind of suprised by the email! i have emailed ebay to ask them whats what but no response. A bit tight I thought asking for £4!! Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Ta

Greg
    go into your paypal account, open the resolution centre,type your complaint into the box.send it to paypal.
    i am 99% sure ,you will get your package without further delay.
    paypal take a very dim view, of this type of behaviour from any seller

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sammy_Jankis

This has happened to me before too. The seller was new to ebay so I just told him I'd leave excellent feedback. He then paid the extra few quid for postage.

As I said before, you just cannot expect the Seller to swallow the costs of postage expenses....

Fault lay solely with the seller, that's simply incontrovertible.
    Please know that the seller is responsible for determining the postage
    and packaging charges on their listings

"...Yes, it's his fault that he mis-calculated the associated costs...but you cannot expect him(her??) to swallow the extra costs..."...

As you can see from the original point made above....We ALL know it was the Sellers "fault"...however... our Buyer, in this instance, did exactly as I predicted and HAD to pay up the extra postage to receive the goods...and without penalty from eBay....

It's all well & good piping on about "rights"....etc...but the bottom line was that our Buyer here paid to get the goods as a matter of his own choice...He had a rightful opportunity to cancel the transaction...but didn't....
    What more needs to be said... :rolleyes:

"but you cannot expect him(her??) to swallow the extra costs..."

Yes, third time you've said so, yet to offer any valid justification however.

Whether the buyer is happy to complete the transaction or not is irrelevant.

Principle remains the same, buyer bought in good faith and met all terms specified at close of auction.

Perhaps 'mea culpa' is a concept some struggle with.

Should the desire to squabble further grip you, prefer if you took it off thread and PM'd me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Hello, The Seller is within his rights to demand more money for Postage costs...Yes, it's his fault that he mis-calculated the associated costs...but you cannot expect him(her??) to swallow the extra costs... Either Cancel the transaction via eBay & Paypal on the grounds that the Seller "mis-represented" the Postage costs or Accept the costs and pay the extra....

It's your choice in this matter...but now you do have grounds to cancel the transaction... Postal costs are a complete nightmare for both Sellers or Buyers on any auction site....especially when cross-border or international ...... IF you REALLY want this item and the Price was good value, Then...............you know what to do......:)

NO WAY! Do not pay. It's sellers like this that give eBay a bad name. Call it quits - and buy from someone else. It's daft. I've bought loads of stuff on eBay and never once experienced this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

It's all well & good piping on about "rights"

Yes indeed. That's why things like the Sale of Goods Act were brought in - to protect people's rights. FFS.:mad:

Advertisement