Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springwatch Returns Tonight 30/05/11

Options
  • 30-05-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭

Springwatch returns tonight 30/05/11 at 8pm on BBC2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

any good?

missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Quite good , they have Cameras on a family of Redstarts aswell as Buzzards , Barn Owls and Oystercatchers , also a interesting piece on the Beaver re-introduction programme in Scotland , well worth watching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the presenter covering the beavers is too intense; he looks angry. he's much more relaxed on the pre-recorded pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

the presenter covering the beavers is too intense; he looks angry. he's much more relaxed on the pre-recorded pieces.

I know he does too much hand gesturing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

don't mind him too much, its that martin hughes-games who wrecks my head, can't stand him:o > takes his glasses off then puts them on again over & over and his silly giggling like a teenage girl.

come to think of it, Kate gets on my wick as well

come back Bill Oddie all is forgiven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

What about Chwith Packam? He'th weally annoying too.

^^^^^^^^

yes, he's got an unfortunate speech impediment but he knows his stuff and overall he's a top class presenter

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^

yes, he's got an unfortunate speech impediment but he knows his stuff and overall he's a top class presenter

I met him in Strangford last year while cannon netting Brent Geese. To be fair to him he was genuinely interested and had done his homework on the subject, unlike a lot of these TV personalities. I just can't ever forget him on Rockabill Island a few years ago doing a report on the Roseate Terns. His opening line was 'Hi, thith ith Chwith Packam with the Weally Wild Show here on Wockabill Island with the Woseate Terns'.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the manic street preachers are this season's hidden song titles band. he managed to slip in 'from despair to where' at one point, in a farily subtle manner.
    he always slips song titles from his favourite bands in - the cure and the smiths have been used in previous series.

yep, definitely the manics - 'die in summertime' was slipped into today's show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

well said Fryup! Looks like hughs-games is wearing contacts. No specs this year

It must be difficult to speak live to camera without making mistakes. When I do bits for pre-recorded programmes I fluff lines all the time.

Mark
    N Ireland

^^^^^^^^^

ooh we have a celebrity in our midsts and who might you be??

Not famous yet

I've been on wildlife programmes on BBC1, BBC1 N Ireland, BBC2 N Ireland, UTV, Channel 4 - most recently 'Wild About Ulster' on UTV back in March. I'm always talking about bats or swifts.

My garden has featured many times on 'Gardener's Corner' on BBC Radio Ulster. It also been on the BBC1 programmes 'Secret Gardens' - my snowdrop collection - and 'The Greenmount Garden' - my garden in spring. I have my pieces on YouTube but there is no sound. The BBC must have an anti-piracy programme in the DVDs

Mark

Not famous yet

I've been on wildlife programmes on BBC1, BBC1 N Ireland, BBC2 N Ireland, UTV, Channel 4 - most recently 'Wild About Ulster' on UTV back in March. I'm always talking about bats or swifts.

My garden has featured many times on 'Gardener's Corner' on BBC Radio Ulster. It also been on the BBC1 programmes 'Secret Gardens' - my snowdrop collection - and 'The Greenmount Garden' - my garden in spring. I have my pieces on YouTube but there is no sound. The BBC must have an anti-piracy programme in the DVDs

Mark

I'm just recently back from Mallorca. I can't get over the amount of Swifts zooming around there. I assume the numbers are down to 2 things: lots of flying insects and suitable nesting sites under all those traditionaly tiled roofs? Lot's of bats around too:)

correct, HC. I was in Majorca last April for a week birding and plant hunting.

Swifts in Europe are under threat also because new planning regs say the open ended tiles must be sealed. They are also threatened because they nest in scaffolding holes in walls. These are being sealed also.

In Ireland we are at the extreme edge of their western range where our not so excellent weather goes against them.

Swifts in Europe are under threat also because new planning regs say the open ended tiles must be sealed.

And is there a reason for these regs, or have they been dreamt up by some bureaocrat in an office with nothing better to do?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I think A is a jay cross-section. Great idea, but.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

A= jay
    B= blue tit
    C= heron
    D= pied flycatcher

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

It's easy when you know them! I only got one.

Great film tonight of the banded demoiselle emerging. Must go down the Lagan and see if ours are flying yet. Amazingly beautiful things.

I've already seen one. I was at the River Bann a few weeks ago and saw one. It wouldnt sit still for a photo.

A fantastic place to see them is the river that runs past the Derrygonnelly Field Study Centre in Fermanagh

• Advertisement

Saw him last night, he sounds like Mr.Bean.

Advertisement