Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requesting CCTV footage

Options
  • 30-05-2011 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I would like footage of me from a train station but they say they dont give it out.
    What is the law regarding this?
    This is from dataprotection.ie but is it law?
    thanks for any help

Any person whose image has been recorded has a right to be given a copy of the information recorded. To exercise that right, a person must make an application in writing. A data controller may charge up to €6.35 for responding to such a request and must respond within 40 days.
    Practically, a person should provide necessary information to a data controller, such as the date, time and location of the recording. If the image is of such poor quality as not to clearly identify an individual, that image may not be considered to be personal data.
    In giving a person a copy of his/her data, the data controller may provide a still/series of still pictures, a tape or a disk with relevant images. However, other people's images should be obscured before the data are released.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Same website tells you what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

You do realise, that companies are not obliged to hold onto CCTV recordings for any length of time. Chances are that the train station only keeps footage for a week to a fortnight. and deletes it at this stage if it isn't requested by Gardai.

Also why are you looking for the footage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Dataprotection.ie also states that controllers should only hold onto data for as long as really required and that 28 days is more than enough.

You'd have to make a formal request and I suspect you would have to indicate a reason for it as they'll have to obscure faces of others etc.

Advertisement