Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the point of books,literature?

Options
  • 29-05-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Earlier this week i was hit with a healthy dose of existentialism and realism.:)
    On this little ball of rock were we unfortunately die and rot and were we are animals with a more cerebral flair....
    what do you think is the point/relevance of art and to be more specific literature or creative writing in our lives?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

ah shur, its something to pass the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

What's the point of anything?

I love books more than I could love any other material object (well, it's hard to pick between books and music but still). When I'm in a bad mood and things feel horrible, they transport me to a different world. I experience situations I never would have otherwise, and some I find myself able to relate to in ways I could never imagine (The Bell Jar is the most quotable book ever). I love the smell of different books, the feel of them, being cosy in bed when it's raining inside with one. And I have a stack of books beside my bed right now and this summer is going to be incredible, if it would ever hurry up and come.

Sure if we're going to spend time on 'this little ball of rock' we might as well spend it being happy. :)

And for the sake of it, I'm going to quote Sylvia Plath:

"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited."

Only a little bit of that is relevant but I use it at any chance I get. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Teaches people to form opinions, learn about other parts of the world (reading world literature), it's good for the imagination, learning history (so we don't make the same mistakes).

I think the main thing is that it opens people's minds to other ways of life, other cultures, and opinions. It makes people more informed. There's a reason books are the first things the fascists burn. The power of the written word is very potent. It gives people ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

To me the answer is the same as to the question "What's the point of everything?", that's been mentioned as well...

I believe that life isn't all we have, it's just one part of our existence. We might be reborn to another human life, we might transform into something else, who knows, but I'm sure that we're not just going to vanish into nothingness once we die and that every part of existence should be used to learn things. Not only facts, but also how to handle and even feel emotions, what they mean, what they give us, to learn things about ourselves, our reactions...
    Books and literature are just some of the means used for doing exactly that. I for my part read books I feel "give" me something. I might not be sure what it is by the time I read them, but I know they do - and often I realise later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

i think you might need to go and play with some kittens or eat some ice cream and enjoy things.

Its prob the most stupid thing ive seen from somone writing intelligently in a while. Your 'realism' is mere negativity. Is a bowl of fruit,a load of worthless discarded items that are dying and have no meaning and therefore should be worthless or are they something to eat and enjoy,or even draw and play with.
    Can the colours be recreated or the textures reproduced by you?
    If not, has the piece of fruit more meaning than you?

why ground yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Hellsing

I believe literature is important because it allows us to view the world through a different lens than we normally would. A well written story has the ability to perfectly encapsulate a certain theme, a place or an emotion and communicate it to us in away we can understand and by doing this it helps to broaden our minds. If we can look at the world from different perspectives then we can see it more clearly. I think literature helps us to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

paglynn wrote: »
    Earlier this week i was hit with a healthy dose of existentialism and realism.:)

Nothing healthy about it. If you feel that way why bother visiting the creative writing board in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

i think you might need to go and play with some kittens or eat some ice cream and enjoy things.

Its prob the most stupid thing ive seen from somone writing intelligently in a while. Your 'realism' is mere negativity. Is a bowl of fruit,a load of worthless discarded items that are dying and have no meaning and therefore should be worthless or are they something to eat and enjoy,or even draw and play with.
    Can the colours be recreated or the textures reproduced by you?
    If not, has the piece of fruit more meaning than you?

why ground yourself?

Was that in reply to what I said or the original post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Marguerite Tonery

It brings hope to despair, light to darkness. it adds joy to moments of grief. It brings people to places where they are in touch with their emotions, where their imagination runs free. A good story can touch you on all levels of your being and bring some richness to your life in a way that other mediums cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Real life is dull as hell and a book is cheaper, more entertaining and lasts longer than a comparable film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Def the original post kickarykee.

You seem to like fluffy kittens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Dont you just love the way the OP just throws this out there and then disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭niceview

Bit of an odd one! In simple terms, it makes us (readers) happy and it is enjoyable.

My friend put it perfectly. While watching a game of rugby and drinking a beer in a Communist built stadium in Latvia, one of my other friends noticed he had two crowns on his head and asked him why.

My short friend just turned to him and said, "Why the f**k does anyone have anything?" and went on supping his beer in the sunshine. Fair point!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

To remind us what it is like to be human, because too often we forget and suffer from hubris.

Denerick wrote: »
    To remind us what it is like to be human, because too often we forget and suffer from hubris.

Or to remind us how great human beings can be, because living in the modern world, it can be easy to forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

"The point of literature is to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comforted." (I think that's it. I may have paraphrased a little, but I got the basics.)

I guess I read a lot because I find it comforting. I mean, is there really a point to anything we do? Unless you're religious, you probably don't think so. We're here for awhile, and we pass the time the best way we can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Science teaches us our insignificance and basic irrelevance (hence, hubris) in the broader cosmic ordering; art distracts us from that. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

Broadening the mind and enlightening it seem the same terms to me in that they are both fluffy nothings, trying to validate literature in one sentence only serves to undermine it in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I don't think the OP is coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 agcainte

PurpleBee wrote: »
    Broadening the mind and enlightening it seem the same terms to me in that they are both fluffy nothings, trying to validate literature in one sentence only serves to undermine it in my opinion

PurpleBee, You are so right so I deleted my rubbish. Thanks for pointing out my failings in the post. I have learnt a lot from your points. Very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

The world needs enterpreneurs and 'change-makers' more than writers right now.

pog it wrote: »
    The world needs enterpreneurs and 'change-makers' more than writers right now.

JK Rowling has an estimated net worth of £620m. Amazon's Kindle generated revenues totaling about $5.5bn in 2011. One estimate valued the global publishing industry at roughly $80bn, larger than the music publishing, video game, and DVD/BluRay industries combined. So what was it you were saying about the world not needing writers?

Kinski wrote: »
    JK Rowling has an estimated net worth of £620m. Amazon's Kindle generated revenues totaling about $5.5bn in 2011. One estimate valued the global publishing industry at roughly $80bn, larger than the music publishing, video game, and DVD/BluRay industries combined. So what was it you were saying about the world not needing writers?

How many JK Rowlings are there?

If writers were to create a business, employing local Irish people, etc. that would be more of a contribution than publishing a book we didn't really need. The business they created would probably make more money than their book anyway (for the vast majority of writers) so it's not like you'd lose the revenue, or that having them means 100m and not having them 0m.

*Be careful of the sentence style 'so what was it you were saying'. Not only because you can quickly be disproved, but it sounds arrogant.

Writers? About $80bn worth globally.
    If writers were to create a business, employing local Irish people, etc. that would be more of a contribution than publishing a book we didn't really need. The business they created would probably make more money than their book anyway (for the vast majority of writers) so it's not like you'd lose the revenue, or that having them means 100m and not having them 0m.

First off, I reject the idea that a question about the "point" of literature, or any other artistic or creative cultural activity, can be answered adequately by asking how many jobs it provides. But taking your point on its own terms, publishing is clearly of immense economic importance, given the massive revenues it generates.
    *Be careful of the sentence style 'so what was it you were saying'. Not only because you can quickly be disproved, but it sounds arrogant.

I sound arrogant? Anyway, I'm not after posting tips, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Christ - some of yis know how to jump down other people's throats round here...

Anyways, to quote Oscar Wilde "All art is quite useless" But sure what did he know?

Kinski wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm not after posting tips, cheers.

I imagine so. Nor are you probably 'after' learning how to speak to people or reading what someone actually wrote before you respond..

The word 'change-maker' passed you by did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

When a society becomes obsessed by economic advancement it ends up in a situation like the one we find ourselves in now. It is our "business leaders" and our broken job making machine, the building industry, that have gotten us where we are now.

Your logic would have us ignore what we have greatest reason to be proud of, if you must think of it economically, our greatest exports (though many exported themselves because of the petty mindset displayed by yourself), the incredible writers we have produced and continue to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

a world without art and full of even more businesses sounds great doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

paglynn wrote: »
    On this little ball of rock were we unfortunately die and rot and were we are animals with a more cerebral flair....
    what do you think is the point/relevance of art and to be more specific literature or creative writing in our lives?
    Surely the one of the best things about being alive is the ability to fill your life with stuff you love. For a lot of people, art and literature is what they love.

Advertisement