Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Get Fossils Valued?

Options
  • 29-05-2011 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I bought a couple of fossils on eBay a few years back now. Just wondering what would be the best way to go about getting them valued?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Look at what is currently being asked for same on ebay or other sites. I would say ebay is about the best bet to get a general idea. Unless they're unusual and with provenance they don't seem to climb much compared to other antiquities. The fairly large recent production of fakes doesn't help of course. For example I'd be well dubious of paying much for a morrocan trilobite without independent appraisal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Thanks Wibbs.

I did already have a look over the weekend and it seems that prices have risen a bit since I bought them back in 2006, which is why I wanted to get them (megalodon and cave bear tooth) checked out.

I'll search again looking for as close a match re: size and condition.

Thanks again :)

Advertisement