Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Help for a Noob

Options
  • 29-05-2011 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just on here looking for some advice on a number of different things and it would be greatly appreciative of your help and advice.

Ok I’m currently in Australia, but soon to return worse for wear both finically and fitness. So I have decided to take back up cycling once I return to Ireland.

I'd like to use the cycling to get fit, but I’d like to work towards doing a regular 100km cycle.

So my first problem is getting a descent starting route to get myself back into the swing of things. Like what kind of distances should I be starting on, should I try starting on 10k cycle or 20, 25...? I'll be living in the Caherdavin area of Limerick, so if anyone who is familiar with Limerick, if you could suggest a good starting route. Just from thinking it through in my head, there aren’t many good long distance routes without a dual carriage way or one’s that aren't very dangerous.

So my second problem is, what kind of bike should I get: A racer or mountain bike? I've used both in the past, but which one would be better for getting started on and for my more long term goals.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

100km on a mtb is pretty hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

If you plan on cycling on roads, get a road bike.
    If you plan on cycling up and down mountains and trails, get a mountain bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

100km on a mtb is pretty hard

it depends on the person tbh,i can and have done more than a 100clicks om my mtb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

What knid of budget would i need for a good road bike?

I know they are generally expensive, but is there are bike stores who do good deals on them or even sell second ones in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

busyliving wrote: »
    Ok I’m currently in Australia, but soon to return worse for wear both finically and fitness. So I have decided to take back up cycling once I return to Ireland.

Sorry, but this is all that caught my eye in this thread!:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Have you not heard about the lie of the land here at the moment????

Back to topic...
    There's lots of cheaper road bikes out there at the moment second hand - people who got them on BTW scheme and either A decided to upgrade or B decided it wasn't for them.

• Advertisement

gman2k wrote: »
    Sorry, but this is all that caught my eye in this thread!:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Have you not heard about the lie of the land here at the moment????

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

If you work in the construction industry don't expect to be busy living over here. :pac:

I'll get me coat :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

What do you mean?

I mean, if you are coming back here to a well paid job - great!
    If you are coming back here to look for a well paid job - not great!

Dubba wrote: »
    If you work in the construction industry don't expect to be busy living over here. :pac:

I'll get me coat :o

I don't and that the reason i'm leaving Australia because the only industry that seems to be hiring Irish people is the construction industry over here:mad:

gman2k wrote: »
    I mean, if you are coming back here to a well paid job - great!
    If you are coming back here to look for a well paid job - not great!

I'm coming back because I’m broke and I can go on the dole while I look for work back home and also live rent free for awhile(well I hope, sure mammy will be understanding)

To be fair I’d take any job within reason of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭QueensGael

There's great routes out towards Sixmilebridge/Cratloe/Killaloe and then others towards Broadford/Tulla. All away from the dual carraigeways. If you venture to the other side of the river, there's lovely routes around Mungret/Patrickswell/Croom on the old roads (N20, N21) that were bypassed. They can be extended to Adare/Rathkeale/Ballingarry - just watch for the stretch into Adare which is narrow and can be busy, esp on weekends.

Some route maps available on Limerick cycling club's site. There's also a Limerick CC leisure group that leaves from Arthur's Quay park (Saturday's I think) if you want company/motivation.
    http://www.limerickcc.com/

Good luck with your move home! Failte ar ais!

QueensGael wrote: »
    There's great routes out towards Sixmilebridge/Cratloe/Killaloe and then others towards Broadford/Tulla. All away from the dual carraigeways. If you venture to the other side of the river, there's lovely routes around Mungret/Patrickswell/Croom on the old roads (N20, N21) that were bypassed. They can be extended to Adare/Rathkeale/Ballingarry - just watch for the stretch into Adare which is narrow and can be busy, esp on weekends.

Some route maps available on Limerick cycling club's site. There's also a Limerick CC leisure group that leaves from Arthur's Quay park (Saturday's I think) if you want company/motivation.
    http://www.limerickcc.com/

Good luck with your move home! Failte ar ais!

Aren't the roads out towards Broadford full of tight corners and blind turns?

Also would the roads be good enough for a racer?

Sorry for all the noob questions, its just i've never cycled these road, only ever been a passenger in a car:D

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Aren't the roads out towards Broadford full of tight corners and blind turns?

Also would the roads be good enough for a racer?

Sorry for all the noob questions, its just i've never cycled these road, only ever been a passenger in a car:D

There's a few blind bends at the railway bridges, but nothing terrible. I've only done those roads on a road bike (racer) and they're fine. If you're unsure about which one to buy, try and get a loaner for a few spins and see how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Don't worry about bad roads on a racer, it won't smooth out the bumps as well as a mountain bike but it won't break and if you keep the tyres pumped up to 100psi or so and use decent tyres you won't have to worry to much about punctures.

Blind corners and the likes don't have to be dangerous on a bike so long as you take up the correct road position (ie take the lane).

If you want to do regular 100km spins a racer is what you want or possibly a touring bike if you want to be carrying a tent and luggage and turn 100km into a few consecutive 100km days.

Mountain biking is great but only off-road. Mountain bikes look more comfortable with their big tyres and suspension but they lack the adjustable positioning offered by drop handle-bars and the extra weight and rolling resistance as well as the power lost through the suspension system make them frustrating to ride long distances on the road.

Decent racing bikes start around 600 euro for the likes of the defy 4 and they go up well into the thousands.
    If you go second hand 400euro should probably get you something decent, maybe less, depends on whether you fit a common frame size and how good you are at finding a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,077 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The back roads out to clonlara is a nice 30k cycle or caherconlish if you feel up for a few hill climbs and decents.Meelick or Cratloe are good 15/20ks out ur side of town or cross the river and head for the well.as for 10ks its hard to avoid traffic around there so id say just find a route around some of the quieter estates in caherdavin moyross and NCR

Don't worry about bad roads on a racer, it won't smooth out the bumps as well as a mountain bike but it won't break and if you keep the tyres pumped up to 100psi or so and use decent tyres you won't have to worry to much about punctures.

Blind corners and the likes don't have to be dangerous on a bike so long as you take up the correct road position (ie take the lane).

If you want to do regular 100km spins a racer is what you want or possibly a touring bike if you want to be carrying a tent and luggage and turn 100km into a few consecutive 100km days.

Mountain biking is great but only off-road. Mountain bikes look more comfortable with their big tyres and suspension but they lack the adjustable positioning offered by drop handle-bars and the extra weight and rolling resistance as well as the power lost through the suspension system make them frustrating to ride long distances on the road.

Decent racing bikes start around 600 euro for the likes of the defy 4 and they go up well into the thousands.
    If you go second hand 400euro should probably get you something decent, maybe less, depends on whether you fit a common frame size and how good you are at finding a bargain.

Cheers mate

Actually, how do i know which frame size is the one for me? I am 5ft 11" if it helps:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Cheers mate

Actually, how do i know which frame size is the one for me? I am 5ft 11" if it helps:pac:

You're probably looking for a 56cm frame so (that's the measurement from the centre of the bottom bracket along the seat tube to the centre of the junction of the top tube). However that depends on your proportions so if you've got really long legs you might feel more comfortable on a 58cm or if you're quite stocky a 54cm might suit better.
    Also be aware that not all 56cm frames are the same size as the top tube lenght can differ and this is just as important a measurement.

There are a few online calculators to help you figure it out or a good bike shop should be able to find the right size for you.

Advertisement