Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver of the race: Round 6 - Monaco Grand Prix

Options
  • 29-05-2011 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Lots of drivers are contenders for the driver of the day today.
    Sebastian Vettel once more didnt make a mistake at the front of the field and had a mammoth stint on the primes from lap 16 until the red flag. Would be have held off Alonso and Button without the red flag, who knows? All that we can judge Vettel on is that he didnt make a mistake under pressure and was a deserving victor.
    Fernando Alonso made another great start and challenged Vettel at the front of the field. He took advantage of the safety car to get into the battle for the win but another great drive from the Ferrari driver.
    The first safety car was untimely for Jenson Button but this was a stunning drive from the former champion who had opened a commanding lead over Vettel. After his final stop he closed the gap to the leaders easily but was left with no chance of getting back to the front due to the red flag.
    Kamui Kobayashi one stopped en-route to fifth and picked his way through the field. Mark Webber found his way past him at the end of the race but another strong showing from the Sauber star.
    Pastor Maldonado was the victim of Lewis Hamilton's late race overtaking move but the Williams driver capped his strong qualifying performance by running consistently in the points scoring positions.

Driver of the race 45 votes

Sebastian Vettel
    0%
    Mark Webber
    20%
    vectraEglintonlord lucanEvilMonkeyGrim.Glico ManVW 1loliepedro6105 9 votes
    Lewis Hamilton
    2%
    proulx 1 vote
    Jenson Button
    0%
    Fernando Alonso
    40%
    Dont be at yourselfrobinphAndrew76Ghost Trainfrostie500mickdwkellermaneireCharlieCrokerTop DogSheeps[Deleted User]mstanSeannew1Pauletasteve9859Shay VaderDannySparksAutosport 18 votes
    Felipe Massa
    15%
    Corben Dallas[Deleted User]pburnsCarroller16Cookie_MonsterNinjaTruncsbrownacid 7 votes
    Michael Schumacher
    0%
    Nico Rosberg
    0%
    Nick Heidfeld
    0%
    Vitaly Petrov
    0%
    Rubens Barrichello
    0%
    Pastor Maldonado
    0%
    Adrian Sutil
    4%
    smellslikeshoesRayM 2 votes
    Paul di Resta
    0%
    Kamui Kobayashi
    0%
    Sergio Perez
    15%
    dor83VegetakeithohSparks43losthorizonfreestylaLionbacker 7 votes
    Sebastian Buemi
    2%
    IM0 1 vote
    Jamie Alguersuari
    0%
    Heikki Kovalainen
    0%
    Jarno Truli
    0%
    Narain Karthikeyan
    0%
    Tonio Liuzzi
    0%
    Timo Glock
    0%
    Jerome D'Ambrosio
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Mark Webber
    tough call between the top three for me went with vettel purely for how he managed the soft tyres to make them last as long as he did button and alonso right behind though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Mark Webber
    Went with Vettel. I thought Kobayashi and Maldonado were going well. Pity Maldonado missed out on the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Mark Webber
    Hamilton :pac:

Vettel for me. To drive that long with those tyres was a great drive. He got lucky with the Safety Car and was able to change his tyres. But that doesn't take away from the earlier driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Mark Webber
    Vettel.
    Drove excellent on Bald tyres :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Sergio Perez
    Went with Kobayashi. Thought he drove an excellent race and the pass he pulled on Suitil was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Fernando Alonso
    Voted for Button, i felt he had a great chance of finally winning a race but that damn safety car had to come out, thanks Hamilton :mad:

Although Hamilton drove today like he was in destruction derby :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Adrian Sutil
    Pastor Maldonado was my pick, even though he didn't finish the race. He kept his head down and stayed out of trouble until 5 laps from the end when a bumbling hamilton took him out while running sixth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Sergio Perez
    Hard to decide between Jason and Kamui.

Vettel was so lucky this weekend by being on right place at right time just before every crash happened this weekend! So its hard to see driving skills except tires nursing.. which is boooring. Its simply written somewhere in higher levels his championship again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Fernando Alonso
    Autosport wrote: »
    Voted for Button, i felt he had a great chance of finally winning a race but that damn safety car had to come out, thanks Hamilton :mad:

Although Hamilton drove today like he was in destruction derby :cool:

What about DiResta for the destruction derby? He was responsible for more debris on the hairpin and did the same move even after it had already failed once against someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Mark Webber
    I went for Vettel. His performance on those tyres was immense and although he caught a lucky break with the red flag i think he may well have still managed to hold off Alonso and Button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sergio Perez
    Vettel is a supremely talented driver but I think people are giving him too much credit for his drive.
    • Button passed him due to better pace and a better pit stop.
    • Vettel retook the lead because McLaren made a stupid call. No skill from him required
    • The only thing he may get praise for is a long stint on the prime tyres but the prime tyres were meant to last 45 laps:
    • Vettel did 56 on them.
    • Massa's crash and safety car would have saved 5-6 laps of racing so in effect he did around 50. Not a huge amount over what they were meant to do.
    • They put the primes on by accident at his pit stop so he fluked that strategy.
    Undoubtedly a fantastic driver but did nothing to really impress me yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FUNKYTOWWWN

I haven't watched f1 in a while but after seeing that preformance by Vettel, my love for it has been reignited! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Fernando Alonso
    Vettel reminded me a bit of Enrique Bernoldi yesterday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Fernando Alonso
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    DeResta got penalized just like Hamilton.

Only once. He did exactly the same move twice in the race, why did he only get one penalty?

Not saying that either of Hamilton or DiResta should not have got penalties, just that there is excessive criticism of Hamilton over things he did when others do the same and are ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Mark Webber
    Went for Vettel myself, I thought he did well in holding off Alonso and Button even though he may have been lucky to be in the position in the first place. Disappointed the race got red flagged when it did, would have been interesting if Vettel's tyres had deteriorated to the level where he would have lost another couple of seconds a lap, would he have been able to hold off the two behind him, who knows.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Fernando Alonso
    robinph wrote: »
    Only once. He did exactly the same move twice in the race, why did he only get one penalty?

Not saying that either of Hamilton or DiResta should not have got penalties, just that there is excessive criticism of Hamilton over things he did when others do the same and are ignored.

DiResta had a dire race too but on the BBC F1 Forum he said it was his fault and apologized to the team. Hamilton on the other hand publicly slated his team after quali, called the stewarding an "absolute fricking joke" and Massa and Maldonando "absolutely fricking ridiculous". He deserves criticism and was lucky to keep his points imo.

Toss up between Vettel and Button for driver of the day I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Fernando Alonso
    I thought Button was excellent,he didn't deserve to finish 3rd,he was unlucky with how the safety car panned out over the race,but then again as eddie jordan says you make your own luck in formula one!

Advertisement