Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compressor/Jump Starter €19.99 [ALDI]

Options
  • 29-05-2011 5:17pm

ALDI in Mallow have a good stock of these discounted from €39.99 to €19.99. They have a 12v battery pack for jump starting. There's a compressor with pressure guage, hazard lights, work lights, two cigarette lighter 12v outputs and a usb charger output. Just picked one up, and it seems well made.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

This it?
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys2_15803.htm

Think the were €59.99 originally. Been keeping an eye on these. They've had them hanging around for a while. At €19.99 it's a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭rafaetha

SBS wrote: »
    ALDI in Mallow have a good stock of these discounted from €39.99 to €19.99. They have a 12v battery pack for jump starting. There's a compressor with pressure guage, hazard lights, work lights, two cigarette lighter 12v outputs and a usb charger output. Just picked one up, and it seems well made.

Do you know if this is across all stores or just a special on that particular store you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

I bought one of these before and the jump starter never worked for my car. I had to revert back to using the jump leads if I ever had a problem.

Just a warning for folk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭podge3

I bought one of these before and the jump starter never worked for my car. I had to revert back to using the jump leads if I ever had a problem.
    Was it fully charged?

There are many varieties of this type of device and they all need to 100% charged to work.

I have a similar unit to the Aldi one (got it in Maplin) and I started a small truck with it once so they do work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Just a warning for folk

you just got a bad one G, you should return it as they've a great warranty.
    I have one of these, and its 100% - good value at €19.99.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

yeah it was fully charged. Looks like I got a bad one allright.
    I have it a while now and can't find the receipt. It might be out of warranty at this stage. Very handy for pumping up the football as the compressor works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I'm the same as gaillimhabu. Mine stopped working after a while. Now it won't charge at all. It's completely dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Thanks Sbs, just picked one up there. Loads still left in fonthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

You have to be pretty religious about charging them once a month. I have one that has stopped working because I didn't charge it for a few months, unfortunately. They are handy things to have, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

yeah it was fully charged. Looks like I got a bad one allright.
    I have it a while now and can't find the receipt. It might be out of warranty at this stage. Very handy for pumping up the football as the compressor works fine

The jump leads are useless on them. I think its the quality of the clamp on the lead itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

-Corkie- wrote: »
    The jump leads are useless on them. I think its the quality of the clamp on the lead itself.

I had a fully charged Maplin one (the Yellow ones) - charged over night - and it wouldnt jump start my small car.

Returned it to maplin - got a replacment - and few week a later tried on another small car - again no joy.

found it really useless for jump starting - compressor is handly for kids water rocket toys though....

here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCUOGpFQjtM

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Tried Navan
    None there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Just got one in Torytop Rd. one still left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

To the people who've had problems:

It contains a lead acid battery, lead acid batteries start to sulfate when the voltage falls below 12.4v this is largely irreversible and if left long enough the battery will be a dud. You need to keep the voltage above 12.4V to prevent sulfation. Also they contain a single lead acid cell, to achieve the high starting current from a tiny cell the plates are made very thin and will have a limited life.

To people considering buying one:

Due to the single lead acid battery and won't be any good for a large diesel engine, high amp battery packs contain two lead acid batteries the best ones probably nimh they used to contain nicd batteries before cadmium went out of fashion. If you have a multimeter I'd check the voltage on it before bothering to bring it home, if its below 12v i'd probably leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

paddyp wrote: »
    To the people who've had problems:

It contains a lead acid battery, lead acid batteries start to sulfate when the voltage falls below 12.4v this is largely irreversible and if left long enough the battery will be a dud. You need to keep the voltage above 12.4V to prevent sulfation. Also they contain a single lead acid cell, to achieve the high starting current from a tiny cell the plates are made very thin and will have a limited life.

To people considering buying one:

Due to the single lead acid battery and won't be any good for a large diesel engine, high amp battery packs contain two lead acid batteries the best ones probably nimh they used to contain nicd batteries before cadmium went out of fashion. If you have a multimeter I'd check the voltage on it before bothering to bring it home, if its below 12v i'd probably leave it.

Would it not be sold with a discharged battery, I mean would there be any voltage to measure?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Would these be any good for a 2L diesel. Thinking ahead to another possible baltic winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

It couldn't jump my 1.9 Berlingo :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

MarkR wrote: »
    Would these be any good for a 2L diesel. Thinking ahead to another possible baltic winter!

If you have starting problems its even less lightly to start your car, your money would be better spent on glowplugs or whatever it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭U2Flyboy

I only noticed this thread now. Are there any of these lying around any Aldis around the country? Anyone seen one lately? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

bmaxi wrote: »
    Would it not be sold with a discharged battery, I mean would there be any voltage to measure?

I would have thought the same - there is no charge at all when they are in the store.

• Advertisement
Advertisement