Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Viewing card

Options
  • 29-05-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,
    Does anyone know for sure if I can use a sky viewing card from my digibox in ireland and use it in a sky digibox when on holidays in Portugal? The apartment has sky uk basic package.
    If I bring my card will I have all channels which I have in Ireland (Rte, setanta etc), or do I need to bring my digibox also? I've heard conflicting answers from friends with some telling me that each viewing card and sky digiboxes are paired and can not be used independently.
    Also, I have multi room in Ireland (2 boxes) so will the other sky box and card continue to operate as normal if I bring one to Portugal?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

The quick answer is yes to all your questions.

1. If I bring my card will I have all channels which I have in Ireland.

Yes except sky sports and movies if you have them. They will only work in the paired box.

2. Will the other sky box and card continue to operate as normal if I bring one to Portugal?

Yes.

The only problem you may have is that the communial dish may not pick up the rte beam. You have no way of knowing that until you try. If it picks up BBC usually you'll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Hi all,
    Does anyone know for sure if I can use a sky viewing card from my digibox in ireland and use it in a sky digibox when on holidays in Portugal? The apartment has sky uk basic package.
    If I bring my card will I have all channels which I have in Ireland (Rte, setanta etc), or do I need to bring my digibox also? I've heard conflicting answers from friends with some telling me that each viewing card and sky digiboxes are paired and can not be used independently.
    Also, I have multi room in Ireland (2 boxes) so will the other sky box and card continue to operate as normal if I bring one to Portugal?

Thanks all

My understanding was the card had to be paired to the box.

So you either bring the box with you or ring get your card paired to the box in portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 teletop

hi i have cancelled my sky account.which other way can i receive rte?also if i buy an english sky-card,will it receive rte

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

teletop wrote: »
    hi i have cancelled my sky account.which other way can i receive rte?also if i buy an english sky-card,will it receive rte

Is your tv analogue or digital?If your tv is analogue then its not capable of receiving digital transmissions and you need to buy a saorview box and external antenna to get rte + a few more ch.If its digital you just need an antenna.I dont think you can get rte on the skybox unless you are subscribed to one of the packages sky offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

teletop wrote: »
    hi i have cancelled my sky account.which other way can i receive rte? also if i buy an english sky-card,will it receive rte

http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/

All Irish channels via Sky are encrypted and so require a subscription to view them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Okay guys its against terms of service to use a Sky card outside of the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, or Guernsey.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement