Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strikeforce confirm Fedor v Hendo. Catch-weight of 220lbs.

Options
  • 29-05-2011 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭

As expected, former PRIDE champions Fedor Emelianenko (31-3 MMA, 1-2 SF) and Dan Henderson (27-8 MMA, 2-1 SF) will meet in July.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that both parties have signed on for the contest, which Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker is expected to announce at a media roundtable prior to today's UFC 130 event.

The bout headlines a yet-to-be-announced fight card planned for July 30 at Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Ill.

The about is expected to take place as a heavyweight affair.

Emelianenko most recently suffered an upset loss to Antonio Silva in the opening round of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix. Coupled with a loss to Fabricio Werdum this past June, which snapped a 27-fight win streak, Emelianenko briefly considered retirement before the Henderson discussions began.

Henderson recently scored a third-round TKO of Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante to win the Strikeforce belt. The 40-year-old Olympian, a former two-division champ in PRIDE, now has won five of his past six fights.

A welterweight matchup pitting Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos (18-14 MMA, 1-2 SF) against Tarec Saffiedine (10-3 MMA, 2-1 SF) is also targeted for the event.
    .... and
    LAS VEGAS – The long-expected and recently reported Fedor Emelianenko (31-3 MMA, 1-2 SF) and Dan Henderson (27-8 MMA, 2-1 SF) super fight will be contested at a catchweight of 220 pounds.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker today confirmed the agreed-upon weight during a media gathering prior to tonight's UFC 130 event.

The event, "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson," takes place July 30 at Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Ill. And though a pay-per-view debut was considered for the show, the main card airs on Showtime.

Although Henderson holds the Strikeforce light-heavyweight title, Coker said the idea of a 205-pound title fight never really was considered.

"Fedor's a heavyweight," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Coker hinted that Emelianenko's camp may have wanted the fight at a heavier weight but that "a compromise" resulted in the 220-pound booking.

Henderson, though, was open to any weight.

"Dan told me, 'I'll fight him at any weight at any place,'" Coker said.

Emelianenko most recently suffered an upset loss to Antonio Silva in the opening round of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix. Coupled with a loss to Fabricio Werdum this past June, which snapped his 27-fight win streak, Emelianenko briefly considered retirement before the Henderson discussions began.

Henderson recently scored a third-round TKO of Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante to win the Strikeforce belt. The 40-year-old Olympian, a former two-division champ in PRIDE and two-time UFC title-challenger, now has won five of his past six fights.
    Strikeforce have found another way to make a fanfare on Fedor's name despite his smashed reputation as "The Baddest Man on the Planet". This fight will interest me when it comes around, but i'm barely excited for it. What think ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I would much rather Hendo fighting a decent ranked LH, Mousasi is not his level, he doesnt have many matches in Strikeforce. A return to the ufc, or a ufc vs strikeforce card would be epic, give me Hendo vs Machida, Rua, Jackson, Evans or dare I say it Jones in their current form and we have some matches.

I'll watch just to see how far Fedor has faded, but expect Hendo to win, pity we're only going to see 3 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Meh. If MMA was boxing this would be the fight of the year, but it's not, thank god, so it's just another fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

There's no catch weight, its gonna happen at HW. Hendo said it on his twitter. http://twitter.com/#!/danhendo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

seadnamac wrote: »
    Meh. If MMA was boxing this would be the fight of the year, but it's not, thank god, so it's just another fight.

No it would'nt!!

After 2 losses on the trot in Boxing your not getting any big fight.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

vangoz wrote: »
    There's no catch weight, its gonna happen at HW. Hendo said it on his twitter. http://twitter.com/#!/danhendo

Dan_Henderson_1000565.jpg

Hendo is a feckin legend in my eyes, on his twitter he is such a sound bloke. Anybody wants anything signed he gives them the details on how to do it and he sends it back to them, RT's everyone. Really hope he wins and puts a crown on his long career, would really be a defining win for him, something he's been short of. I think after this he has more options in fighting Light Heavies who he has a better chance of matching physical dimensions wise, if he fought any of the huge SF heavies in Reem/Big Foot I wouldn't fancy his chances as much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Looking forward to this.

What irks me is Fedor loses 2 fights and considered on the scrap heap. He only has is legend status / fighting at HW for so long to blame. FFS the guy is 34, Hendo is 40 !!! Both well off the MMA pension if Randy is the benchmark lol :D And both with close enough records.

I for one am glad this is not Pro Boxing , were if you sneeze crooked you're done let alone lose a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A bit disappointed this isn't at 205 tbh
    No reason for it to be at 220, or HW

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

calex71 wrote: »
    I for one am glad this is not Pro Boxing , were if you sneeze crooked you're done let alone lose a fight.

The loss in Boxing is definetly more harmful but the UFC is going that route too and with fighters been cut even after good performances that shows,

Ali lost 5 fights and many feel he is the best ever, Sugar ray Robinson also considered the greatest by many lost 19 fights!

Its more up and comers trying to make a name that risk losing there reputation than established fighters, Its all about selling tickets, if your on a winning run and sell tickets your god! if not then off to the small shows to build back up for you..

And as far as sneezing crooked, If you are a draw you can sneeze wherever you want whenever you want as so much money is made from the likes of Mayweather-Pacquiao-Klitschko or Hopkins

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

is this fight at 220 or HW? Croker said 220 in an interview but i've heard the opposite from the fighter camps

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Mellor wrote: »
    A bit disappointed this isn't at 205 tbh
    No reason for it to be at 220, or HW

totally agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

I think the reason its not at 205 is quite clear.

Its because Fedor is on a 2 fight losing streak. There is no way his camp want him cutting to 205 when he isnt used to cutting weight. Has he ever fought below HW, if he has its over 10 years ago. The last thing they want is him showing up dehydrated and weak against Dan Henderson. They just wanna get his head in the right place and not have anything else like a cut to 205 to distract them.

This is a huge fight for Fedor and its really a no win situation, if he loses it could be his last big fight for a while. If he wins, well he was the bigger guy fighting a LHW/MW and he beat a guy he was suposed to beat. If Henderson wins he can basically name his next fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Would anyone knowe how to go about getting tickets for this event?

http://www.strikeforce.com/news/2011/05/fedor-vs-henderson-superfight-in-chicago-on-july-30/

Not having a go but it took me 10 seconds to get that link, I just went to the Strikeforce homepage and clicked a link.

Thanks, sorry very poor phrasing on my behalf. I was more asking did anyone know if they were being sold in the same manor as the UFC tickets; through the fan club. And is it necessary to join the Fan Club to get tickets?

stevemc01 wrote: »
    I think the reason its not at 205 is quite clear.

Its because Fedor is on a 2 fight losing streak. There is no way his camp want him cutting to 205 when he isnt used to cutting weight. Has he ever fought below HW, if he has its over 10 years ago. The last thing they want is him showing up dehydrated and weak against Dan Henderson. They just wanna get his head in the right place and not have anything else like a cut to 205 to distract them.

This is a huge fight for Fedor and its really a no win situation, if he loses it could be his last big fight for a while. If he wins, well he was the bigger guy fighting a LHW/MW and he beat a guy he was suposed to beat. If Henderson wins he can basically name his next fight.
    That's a reason not to fight Henderson now just as much.
    Also consider that Henderson won't have to cut weight befor this fight either. I imagien he normally does.
    Xlami wrote: »
    Thanks, sorry very poor phrasing on my behalf. I was more asking did anyone know if they were being sold in the same manor as the UFC tickets; through the fan club. And is it necessary to join the Fan Club to get tickets?

Now that zuffa bought Strikeforce, the UFC fan Club get presale for Strikeforce Events

UFC Fight Club Presale
    Starts Thursday, June 2 - 10am CT

UFC Newsletter Presale
    Starts Friday, June 3 - 10am CT

Public On-Sale
    Starts Saturday, June 4 - 10am CT

That's a reason not to fight Henderson now just as much.
    Also consider that Henderson won't have to cut weight befor this fight either. I imagien he normally does.

Yeah I agree with you 100%, but who else would he fight? They cant feed him a can, he'd just get slated even more. In the 2 losses he was caught in a submission by Werdum and was completely man handled by Silva who is a monster and was 60 - 70 lbs heavier than him. Dan Henderson has a big chance in this fight but he isnt gonna sub Fedor and doesnt have a huge size advantage. I am sure Fedor will be happy to stand and trade with Dan, but I'm sure Dan will be happy enough to stand and trade too. It has the makings of a great fight.
    Now that zuffa bought Strikeforce, the UFC fan Club get presale for Strikeforce Events

UFC Fight Club Presale
    Starts Thursday, June 2 - 10am CT

UFC Newsletter Presale
    Starts Friday, June 3 - 10am CT

Public On-Sale
    Starts Saturday, June 4 - 10am CT

The newsletter password for Friday is CHICAGO, cant help anyone with fightclub codes as I am no longer a member.

stevemc01 wrote: »

The newsletter password for Friday is CHICAGO, cant help anyone with fightclub codes as I am no longer a member.

Thanks very much.

Whoops, I thought i left that in there
    em, i confirm thats the password :D

Semtex just got added to the card. Really, really hope I can get the tickets tomorrow. Or else I'll be turning to the touts.

Advertisement