Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading glasses!

Options
  • 28-05-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Recently i have hit 40 and they say after 40 our near vision goes. Luckily mine is still perfect but since hitting 40 i have become paranoid about it :o. Does it come on suddenly? So what ages were ye when ye first noticed it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

dont think so im 41 but have reading glasses 4 years now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I think that noticing the change is the difficult bit. I've been using reading glasses for the past year or two but I think I probably should have got them long ago. It was a very gradual change for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

1. Go into LIDL
    2. Pick up any packet of Thai noodles with the instructions in various languages (the ones in the paper packet that you heat up in the microwave). Any flavour will suffice
    3. Hold 3 inches from your nose

I noticed this just yesterday :D

If you can read it at this distance you have no problem. A few years ago I could read this stuff no problem. Now I'm 40 I have to hold it about 8 inches away and at that distance it's hard to read as the writing becomes too small.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

:D:D:D

Or you could pick up a pair of +1.25 magnification glasses - I think that's the lowest power? You can get them for as little as a fiver. Try them on and see if you see anything new. If you start to feel dizzy and bump into things, then you probably don't need them :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If you are starting to think you need glasses then thats usually the point where you need them. :)
    Go get a proper eyetest. The cheap magnigying lenses in supremarkets are only a stopgap. Check with your employer as lots of them offer free or discounted eyetests IF you use a computer for work.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For me it took another 5 years after hitting 40.

Busy days at the computer ending in headaches is what made me go to the optician ...I now wear reading glasses at work. I don't really need them to read ...but they made the headaches go away :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Namle

Not being able to read the score board in the RDS did it for me. For about 2 years I put it down to drinking at the matches but unfortunately it's just age. And when I look back it would have started at 40/41

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I lasted without them till I was 44 :o. My slightly younger hubby got a great laugh out of it...till he ended up with a stronger prescription within months of me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

It was about 3 months after I'd turned 40 when I was reading one morning and wondered "what the hell is wrong with this text?" Realised then that either my arms were getting shorter or I needed reading glasses. The thing I find is that reading glasses are like a dangerous drug; the more you use them, the more you need them. Your eyes start to get tired, headaches set in due to straining. Three years later, I can't go anywhere without the specs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Was 43 before I succumbed. Should have got them years earlier. Can't hack lenses, bifocals, trifocals or progressives .......... so I keep two pairs round my neck. Sometimes strange looks but that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'll be 47 at the end of this month and it's only in the last 6 - 12 months that I've noticed it more difficult to read small print so got a credit card size magnifying strip for the really small stuff. I had my eyesight tested about 3 years ago and only had a tiny perscription that I was told it wasn't necessary to get glasses at the time.

My husband who's a year younger has the same difficulty now and got some reading glasses, not perscription ones. I plan on getting my eyesight tested in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

There is more to having your eyes tested after age 40 than kitting you out with glasses. You will get a professional look at the condition of your eyes etc. Some eye conditions are insidious and best caught early.

I found night time driving a challenge but glasses make all well and now really need them to see the wretched notice boards at airport and nice to have with TV to see script. Ugh is it so many years ago that I turned 40 :eek:

Special offer in Specsavers for eye test at the moment til end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Get my eyes done every other year, last two tests have asked for reading glasses

Optican is delaying saying it will only speed things up if I do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

My eyesight has deteriorated since I had opthalmic shingles two years ago and I've been using glasses since. I hate wearing them and am always forgetting them but an incident in Dunnesstores during the week really opened my eyes (pardon the pun). I had to put back a jar of pasta sauce because I couldn't read the ingredients list to see if there was meat in it. I think the time has come to admit defeat on this one:(

Advertisement