Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a fan of rules in wrestling?

Options
  • 28-05-2011 7:22pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭

rulewrestling1.jpg

Going back and watching older wrestling, something that's apparent is that wrestling rules are re-inforced. Remember when closed firsts were illegal, when someone grabbed the rope they had to break the hold, hell even "intentional over the top rope is a DQ" was still used in WCW in the early 90s!

Even when Miz beat Cena for the belt on RAW recently, and was stripped of it because the ref ASSUMED he used the WWE title; WITHOUT seeing a replay (not that replays should be allowed - unless they're used for EVERY match!) that was a massive slap in the face.

For me, wrestling rules make the show look much more legitimate, an actual sporting contest; rather than just lazy writing; i.e. "whatever suits the storyline".

What do ya reckon? Agree, or am I just being pedantic?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't mind rules. I just hate inconsistency. With the Miz example, why did the ref switch back on an assumption? If thats what happens, why does it not happen more often :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think clear defined rules are important in every sport. Pro wrestling is huge with big money on the line so in the interest of fairness the rules should be as clear cut as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I'd love for the rules to be brought back to the old days! I'm a dying breed; someone who likes the top rope rule. If we brought all these back and made them solid I think it opens up new ways for a heel to get over or tell a story.Best example I can give is the Samoa Joe vs CM Punk trio of mathces. When Joe used the ropes to help a pin the fans went bat **** crazy to think Joe would stoop so low! But it really helped tell the story that Joe felt he had to resort to desperate messures to beat Punk. It's a simple idea that can really help a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

I don't mind rules. I just hate inconsistency.

In a nutshell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Watching the triple threat on Smackdown I never knew they were no DQ's in Triple threats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anyone here remember when Jim Herd banned top rope moves from WCW.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anyone here remember when Jim Herd banned top rope moves from WCW.:confused:

I support that decision, it was in the interest of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I think it's generally assumed the referee has to go along with the rules that are made up on the spot and passed to him the lads at ringside.

No DQ in Triple Threat? Only because they don't have a good excuse to use a DQ finish.

Referee reversing The Miz win? Fan appeasement. Hurts more than it helps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GTR63 wrote: »
    Watching the triple threat on Smackdown I never knew they were no DQ's in Triple threats.

It's one of those things they tend to ignore. There can't be DQs cause if you do disqualify a guy, which of the other two get the win? But at the same time, why is it people in triple threats never just grab weapons and go nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's one of those things they tend to ignore. There can't be DQs cause if you do disqualify a guy, which of the other two get the win? But at the same time, why is it people in triple threats never just grab weapons and go nuts?

I never understood that either, no DQ's mean you can just grab a chair and wail the crap out of the other guys, it should be DQ's then you could change up the triple threat midway and make it a 1v1, most triple threats end the same anyway, guy A hits guy B with finisher and before has chance to make pin guy C who had previously been double teamed and left outside the ring runs in and hits guy A with finisher and pins guys B, seen it a million times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement