Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Enda Kenny eat these words?

Options
  • 28-05-2011 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2011-05-25.2.0
    Wednesday, May 25 2011
    Dail Eireann: Leaders' Questions.
    "On the Government’s view on debt restructuring for Ireland, let me make the position clear for the umpteenth time. This country will repay its debts and the money it owes".

He went on...
    "If the Deputy’s use of the word “restructuring” means we are looking for a longer term to pay back the money we owe, or that we are not going to pay back the money we borrowed, that is not the intention of the Government."

This seems an extraordinarily confident assurance to give to the Irish people, when many of us would suggest that such reprofiling of the Irish debt, official or unofficial, seems so likely.

We all know that it is necessary for the Government to reassure investors, but I wonder if it was necessary to give such an explicit and clearly un-knowable statement to the Oireachtas which this man must know is not yet established, when Ireland at this moment is in no great pressing need to impress capital markets investing in sovereign debt.

I have tried to track down the video footage of this statement, because it comes across as a particularly confident stance that I have a feeling will come back to haunt Mr Kenny. It might not be unlike comparisons with denials about the impending bailout that the last government engaged with at a time when the IMF were already at the door.

One of the biggest failures of the last government was an unacceptable refusal to be upfront with the people and communicate an honest portrayal of Ireland's situation - I hope the present government is not now going down this same road so early in its term.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Our bond yield, an indicator of market confidence, continues to hit new highs in recent days and weeks.

I don't think empty words satisfy money men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

"..This country will repay its debts and the money it owes".

..and the debts of everyone else it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I'm betting Obama owes him one after the golden election PR Enda gave Obama during his trip here so Obama will ahve had quiet word with Sarkozy in Paris and the French 'tude will relax in months to come and we'll get better deal. Thats my hunch anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

I'm betting Obama owes him one after the golden election PR Enda gave Obama during his trip here so Obama will ahve had quiet word with Sarkozy in Paris and the French 'tude will relax in months to come and we'll get better deal. Thats my hunch anyway
    america have nothing to gain from our corporation tax rates

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Well OP if Enda is confident of bleeding us dry for his European masters, I've no reason to doubt him.

• Advertisement

america have nothing to gain from our corporation tax rates

Never said they did. What they got out of the bargain was election PR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Michael Noonan has now ruled out a second bailout for Ireland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0530/breaking6.html

This is going to come back to haunt this Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

I thought we got rid of Fianna Fail ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

By this stage we are all so used to the blatant lies and farcical statements by politicians I doubt anyone believes him enough to make him eat his words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I believe him. We wont be far off the mark anyway. I have to say, in the beginning I couldnt stand Kenny, to me he was like something off gift grub. But he's growing on me. He's such a breath of fresh air compared to Cowan. Did anyone hear the speech he gave to the Irish ambassadors? Fair play to him, I havent heard such passionate talking in Irish politics, eh, ever, come to think of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Never said they did. What they got out of the bargain was election PR

Did it get much attention in the States?

Bodhisopha wrote: »

I wouldn't know.
    But that was the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I wouldn't know.
    But that was the plan.

I doubt it would matter to most Americans and Irish America isn't really a voting bloc anymore so I doubt the trip is of much PR benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Obama picked up a lot of criticism for being seen drinking in Ireland while tornadoes hit large parts of the mid-west. Of course this criticism was from people who constantly criticize Obama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Obama picked up a lot of criticism for being seen drinking in Ireland while tornadoes hit large parts of the mid-west. Of course this criticism was from people who constantly criticize Obama.

I think that was mainly from the home of fair and balanced news :D... the totally unbiased fox news

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

sollar wrote: »
    I think that was mainly from the home of fair and balanced news :D... the totally unbiased fox news

Of course. He could have been rescuing babies from a burning orphanage here, and they'd still complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Of course. He could have been rescuing babies from a burning orphanage here, and they'd still complain.

They'd say he was the one who set it on fire tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

i'd be more concerned with Enda crying every time he watches riverdance:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

What do people expect him to say? He's being optimistic and this optimism inspires confidence and confidence brings growth. Imagine if he'd come out with statements like "we're all doomed!" I'm completely confident FG can start Ireland on the road to recovery but will also become unpopular because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

deman wrote: »
    What do people expect him to say? He's being optimistic and this optimism inspires confidence and confidence brings growth. Imagine if he'd come out with statements like "we're all doomed!" I'm completely confident FG can start Ireland on the road to recovery but will also become unpopular because of it.

If they do things fairly they won't become unpopular, however their new taxes while they continue to waste money and disappear on 3 months overpaid holidays certainly doesn't give me any confidence.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If they do things fairly they won't become unpopular, however their new taxes while they continue to waste money and disappear on 3 months overpaid holidays certainly doesn't give me any confidence.

I mean no disrespect but I cringe everytime I hear people complaining about their 3 month holidays, mainly as TD's aren't jetting off for 3 months on the Caribbean.
    A downside to the Irish political system is the obsession we have with constituency work. A TD who doesn't do constituency work won't be reelected.

Irish people as a whole seem to simultaneously rage against TDs 'holidays' while doggedly clinging to the parish pump system which is why the Dáil's recess is so long. While we definetly need more Oireachtas time and less recess, I don't blame the TDs for it as they are merely supplying the electorate's demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭Sand

deman wrote: »

Confidence is only inspired if the optimism is not mistaken for foolishness. The reality of our situation doesnt change merely because we hype the potential gains and dimiss any risks.

What Enda Kenny could have said is that we dont have control over all the factors which will govern Irelands ability to re-enter the markets and repay its debts, but that we did have control over the most important factor - our deficit. And that we would do everything in our power to eliminate the deficit so that we are best placed to handle whatever happens outside of our control.

Which reassures people on Irelands plan to close its deficit, without making stupidly unrealistic promises, and hinting that a successful outcome will require more than Ireland taking all the hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Lockstep wrote: »
    I mean no disrespect but I cringe everytime I hear people complaining about their 3 month holidays, mainly as TD's aren't jetting off for 3 months on the Caribbean.
    A downside to the Irish political system is the obsession we have with constituency work. A TD who doesn't do constituency work won't be reelected.

Irish people as a whole seem to simultaneously rage against TDs 'holidays' while doggedly clinging to the parish pump system which is why the Dáil's recess is so long. While we definetly need more Oireachtas time and less recess, I don't blame the TDs for it as they are merely supplying the electorate's demands.

Since I don't cling to the parish pump bull****, what does any of this have to do with my post ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Since I don't cling to the parish pump bull****, what does any of this have to do with my post ?

As they don't disappear on 3 month holidays. They're performing the constituency work that their constituents demand.

Yes it sucks but blame the constituents, not the politicians.

Advertisement