Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the leaving cert. - Questions for people who have

Options
  • 28-05-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi guys!
    Just wondering about repeating the leaving cert and I have a few questions.

1. Do you have to tell your school on the day you get your results, or do you have time to make up your mind?

2. Is it possible to take on new subjects if you put the hard work in?

3. You can give up English, Irish and Maths right??

4. And somebody said to me something about choosing points or requirements? how does that work?? i mean, do you have to choose between the 2 and risk not getting enough points or not having the right requirements, or can you take your points from when you repeat, and merge both sets of exam subjects to meet the requirements???:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Paul.M92 wrote: »
    It depends really, Unless the course is changing you probably still have to do it. With the repeatees who are about to do their exams again, they don't do English as the books and poems you have to study for the exam have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Hi guys!

1. Do you have to tell your school on the day you get your results, or do you have time to make up your mind?

Depends on the school.. A guy I know didn't tell the school until the later rounds of CAO offers a few weeks later.

It's your leaving cert, you can do whatever you want! Just study them yourself and show up for the exam..Nobody can stop you! there might be problems when it comes to practicals/projects, especially if your school doesn't teach the subject

As long as you passed them the first time around then yes, but you'll have to do other subjects to make up your 6 subjects

4. And somebody said to me something about choosing points or requirements? how does that work?? i mean, do you have to choose between the 2 and risk not getting enough points or not having the right requirements, or can you take your points from when you repeat, and merge both sets of exam subjects to meet the requirements???:confused::confused::confused:

You can use your subjects from any exam sitting for entry purposes but you cannot combine the points from 2 sittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paul.M92

ok so i just have to pass english irish and maths and then just take up some extra subjects to make up the slack... Cool! thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Hi guys!

1. Repeating in your own school? Go and think about it for a few days. Wait to see what CAO offers. Call and make an appointment with your principal. If your talking about a PLC or institude, put an application in now, and you will have time to think. Interviews for College of commerce cork happened on the day universities had register days etc. So your mind would want to be made up by then.

2. You can take on a new subject if you want. I took on Agricultural Science. Not a bad subject. 25% for projects. Also theres a cross over from Biology. Ironically got 70% in both Ag science and bio. Did bio for 3years so...... But be prepared if your taking on Ag science that projects DO take up alot of time! (Ag science is the most recommended cause of the crossover with Biology - it does help!) My friend took on geography new and shes getting on fine in it! Work from day one is my tip :)

3. Yep which I was delighted with! UNLESS - youre going for Medicine/Vet - You must do the core subjects in OL. Other then that, its free reign. Make sure you keep subjects youre likely to maximise points in. Languages are hard to repeat tbh, unless youre good at them. I failed my french pre! SO im hoping i pass that!

4. I havent gotten to that part yet myself :confused: Between old points and the new points? I think you can still keep the first LC points, if u do worse repeating!

Any questions, feel free to PM. I know how stressful it is deciding about repeating!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    1. Repeating in your own school? Go and think about it for a few days.

Go and study your ass off until your last exam,put down the course you want the most number one, enjoy you're summer and think about repeating when the offers roll in, seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    2. You can take on a new subject if you want. I took on Agricultural Science. Not a bad subject. 25% for projects. Also theres a cross over from Biology.

Also, if your not already doing it, take on Economics as a extra subject. It's an old course so the papers are fairly predictable. The course is one of the shortest leaving cert courses and theres a nice amount of choice on the paper!

It's also píss easy if you put any amount of work in! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ciano1 wrote: »
    Also, if your not already doing it, take on Economics as a extra subject. It's an old course so the papers are fairly predictable. The course is one of the shortest leaving cert courses and theres a nice amount of choice on the paper!

It's also píss easy if you put any amount of work in! :D

Do you think the SEC are not aware this is what some people think?
    Do you think that might suggest a strong possibility of change?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Hi guys!

1. That depends on the school really. I know some schools don't allow repeats. Well i had no real intention of repeating but the day of the 2nd round offers i had no real choice. its sorta funny i went in to the school on friday the 10th of september (just to discuss my options) and by the following monday i had started the lc course again. Had you said that to me the week before I would have laughed.

2. I took up biology as I will need it in college. I wish I took up more subjects, mainly because i hate the ones i'm doing (aka geography!!:mad:) Taking up a new subject isn't too bad and ag science is a popular choice. I'd advise it!

3. You can indeed! :D This was such a help to me. I dropped english and irish. I'm not what so ever creative or anyway good with languages so dropping these 2 were a great help to me i'd highly advise it! It takes a big workload off your back. It took me hours to learn them bloody english essays. This year i can use that time more efficiently. I do 6 subjects and six is a nice round figure. It equates to 3 hours study in the morning and 3 in the afternoon which works well for me.

4. You can combine your minimum requirements from both years but you cannot combine your points. So if you need a C3 in maths for your course and get it this year, you can drop maths and that C3 will still stand to you as a minimum requirement the following year. You cannot, however, use that C3 in your points the following year. I hope thats clear. Sometimes its explained in a very complex manner when its fairly straight forward.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Hi guys!

It's entirely down to the school, you don't have to tell them right away but you're better off informing them before the results are issued in case you do want to repeat, they'll need to add you into classes / timetables / etc.

Again depends on the school, there's many subjects which can be done in a year as long as you put the work in. Science subjects can certainly be covered in a year as long as you're willing to work hard at them.

Yes you can, but it's not advisable, I'll explain this in the next question.

If you pass Irish, Maths and English and drop them when you repeat, you'll meet the matriculation requirements but you wont be able to carry the points. So hypothetically if you got 3 B3's in the above, that's 225 points. You'll be able to drop all 3 and still get into college as you've met the matriculation requirements, but you wont be able to carry the points. Points can only be counted from 1 set of examination results, Ie the subjects you do at 1 sitting of the leaving cert. Say if you were to repeat and do 6 subjects while having dropped English, Irish, Maths and you get 3 B2s and 3 C1s. You can't take the B3's from the previous sitting and disregard the 3 C1s, you can only use your best 6 results of 1 sitting for points purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

There's no rush at all, you can wait til halfway through September if you want (though I wouldn't advise it) preferably though you should look as soon as poss before everywhere fills up and you're left in a kip of a school (like I was).

You can take on certain new subjects, geography and business are the best one-year subjects in my opinion. I wouldn't take on too many extra though, better off sticking with your old ones as it'd then be mostly revision.

You can give them up, though in the school I'm repeating in every single person is repeating maths and English. There's only a few of us doing Irish though.

I wouldn't be talking like this just yet though, wait until mid august when the results come out, and just stay relaxed and focused in June. You never know, you might surprise yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

By few days, I meant AFTER RESULTS - should of been clearer

Study away of course! See how you feel AFTER and think about how well you did!

Dont be thinking about repeating when weve only a week left. Just get stuck in for the moment.

I kept questioning repeating a week before my exams when that energy could of gone to something else ...

Put it out of your mind for now. Youve other fish to fry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Katelyn92

No you don't have to tell them the day you get your results you can go back in october if you want! Yes it is possible to take up a new subject and put in the hard work you have plenty of time i took up construction this year and i love it! And yes if you pass english irish maths and your european language the first year you don't have to do them the second year i didn't bother repeating english absolutely hated it and i didn't repeat maths either! And if you get the requirement for a certain subject the first year lets say you needed a c3 in irish or somethin then yes you can count that from your first year if you already have it, you just can't mix and match your points thats all!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

Hi guys!

No you don't have to tell them straight away but I would recommend telling them as soon as you have made up your mind.

Yes it is possible... I know a lot of people who have.

You can ... this year I'm repeating but am doing all three again to have six subjects. But my friend isn't doing maths or irish again and my other friend isn't doing english
    Okay this one is different... You cannot merge the two results for points...You can use both results to suit subject entry requirement for a course(for instance you need a C3 or higher for primary school teaching in higher level Irish,,,) but points wise you will only be allowed use one or the other...

I hope I helped :):D

Advertisement