Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London next month

Options
  • 28-05-2011 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I have just landed a job in London - happy days!

Myself, hubby and 2 kids (both under 4 years) leaving leitrim....

Has anyone else done this with kids? I need advice on claiming UK tax credits...do I need to bring documents with us etc

I know from friends over there that you get a tax credit for kids in childcare...but they have been in the UK, not coming from here...

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Congratulations on the new job!

I don't have kids, so I can't answer your questions specifically... However, there is a section on Tax Credits on the HM Revenue & Customs website which will probably explain most things for you - the section for children is here

You'll also need to get yourself a National Insurance number as soon as possible, so that you'll be paying the correct level of tax. This involves going to an interview at a Jobcentre Plus, and then they will send it out to you in the post.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Your employer may be able to speed up your NI number application. There is a priority form that they can give you with your contract and you don't have to go to the Jobcentre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Congratulations.

You will find a lot of useful information here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm

For me the worst hassle when moving to the UK was getting a bank account. If you have an address already, and a credit card, request a statement from your credit card or an Irish bank account to your new address to help with opening a UK bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ceribabe

Thanks to everyone, I used to live in London many moons ago and still have my NI number and bank account active, thankfully!

I just wondered if anyone else had had to claim tax credits of any kind in addition to their wages and what the turnaround is for people coming from the ROI? Do you need to bring any docs from Ireland to show your income at all - as I know the HMRC base it on your last tax years income...

Advertisement