Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please! Old computer to new

Options
  • 28-05-2011 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi folks
    I've just pruchased a new computer (Toshiba Satellite L750) and want to copy as much as possible from my old hp.

I have two external drives that I use for back ups

Do I have to install the programmes on the new computer first and then copy the files (using the external drive to copy) or is there an easier way?

Looks like I'll have to buy Microsoft Office 2010 (using trial version at the moment) as it's Microsoft Office 2003 on my old machine?

Thanks in advance

Winnie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭burrentech

Winnieacre wrote: »
    Hi folks
    I've just pruchased a new computer (Toshiba Satellite L750) and want to copy as much as possible from my old hp.

I have two external drives that I use for back ups

Do I have to install the programmes on the new computer first and then copy the files (using the external drive to copy) or is there an easier way?

Looks like I'll have to buy Microsoft Office 2010 (using trial version at the moment) as it's Microsoft Office 2003 on my old machine?

Thanks in advance

Winnie

Assuming your old PC is XP then download Microsoft's transfer tool for XP 32 bit. This will take care of all User accounts you have on your old PC (install it on your old PC). Use the external hard disk optio as it will be the quickest. You can customise it to include additional folders if required. It can preserve your account setting too. It won't transfer certain application files though so be prepared to move them yourself.

If you bought Office 2003 and have a COA(license key) for it, you can install it on Win 7 without issues, you will have to apply the updates to work with .docx files.

hth

Advertisement