Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Cold Call" to potential birth mother

Options
  • 28-05-2011 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I now know my birth mothers full name (including middle name) and have a birth cert that I think is hers but am struggling to take it any further.
    Ive been to Joyce house and dont believe that she got married.

I have put her name into the eircom phone book and have come across a few "maybes".

Would appreciate any advice on how to go about "cold calling".

Cheers
    AJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I wouldn't cold call anybody... you could potentially cause some women a lot of heartbreak...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

please don,t call anybody til your 100% sure u have the right person, and even if u ar please send a registered letter.
    u have no idea how u could ruin any chance of a good outcome to ur search by contacting this way....kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Hi AJ,

I would tend to agree with the others above. I know how tempting it is and how frustrating it is when you seem to come to a dead end.

If her name can be translated into irish, have you checked the marriage records for that? Have you checked findmypast.co.uk for possible marriage in the UK?

Theres a good chance she may not even be in the phonebook too so you could be setting yourself up for some awkward questions from strangers for nothing. Have you checked the electoral register for the address you have on the BC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I now know my birth mothers full name (including middle name) and have a birth cert that I think is hers but am struggling to take it any further.
    Ive been to Joyce house and dont believe that she got married.

I have put her name into the eircom phone book and have come across a few "maybes".

Would appreciate any advice on how to go about "cold calling".

Cheers
    AJ
    i would not cold call, but i would go to the area that she resides for a day or two, book into a bed and breakfast nearby, get to know some people from the area, and ask about her, but not telling that you are her child, find out about her present situation, thread carefully

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

What did you decide to do ajbarrington?? any luck??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ajbarrington

goat2 wrote: »
    i would not cold call, but i would go to the area that she resides for a day or two, book into a bed and breakfast nearby, get to know some people from the area, and ask about her, but not telling that you are her child, find out about her present situation, thread carefully

Sounds like something from Miami Vice ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ajbarrington

flipall wrote: »
    What did you decide to do ajbarrington?? any luck??

Hi, thanks for your interest.

I have not done anything yet - its too easy not to do anything.
    Im just not sure what I would say. I certainly would not introduce myself as her adopted son - because that would be crazy.

Maybe just ask for her middle name (to verify) and then hang up lol.

Its so bloody difficult!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

Maybe you could ask her what her middle name is for verification and then ask her has she got a computer in the house :D how is she to know you arent a scammer!!

Advertisement