Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hats off to Treasure

Options
  • 27-05-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Just thought i'd put it out there that Treasure software are with out doubt phenominal.
    Classics such as Gunstar heroes,Dynamite heady and Radiant will always hold a place in my heart.They all had a certain design and class stamped all over them

Then there is the beauty of Guardian heroes.What a game.I only found out now it was by treasure and it prompted me to stick up this thread.

Not forgetting Alien soldier..a little Gem
    I've still yet to play Ikaruga (i know) but i know it will be class

Quick google shows these games in their back catalogue

Are they all up to the same grade as the above or did they have any stinkers as i haven't played any others

Arcade

Ikaruga
    Radiant Silvergun

Sega Genesis

Gunstar Heroes (1993)
    McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure (1993)
    Dynamite Headdy (1994)
    Yu Yu Hakusho (1994) *
    Alien Soldier (1995)
    Light Crusader (1995)

Sega Saturn

Guardian Heroes (1996)
    Silhouette Mirage (1997)
    Radiant Silvergun (1998) *

Sega Dreamcast

Bangai-O (1999)
    Ikaruga (2002)

Sega Game Gear

Dynamite Headdy
    Gunstar Heroes

Super Nintendo

Dynamite Headdy

Nintendo 64

Mischief Makers (1997)
    Bangai-O (1999) *
    Sin and Punishment (2000) *

Nintendo Gamecube

Ikaruga (2003)
    Wario World

Nintendo Gameboy Advance

Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting
    Tiny Toon Adventures: Scary Dreams (AKA Tiny Toons: Buster's Bad Dream)

Sony Playstation

Rakugaki Showtime
    Silhouette Mirage

Sony Playstation 2

Silpheed: The Lost Planet
    Stretch Panic (AKA Freak Out)
    Tiny Toons Adventures: Defenders of the Looniverse

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Other than Stretch Panic which was more tech demo than game their output has been fantastic. I've been a fan since the start and Gunstar Heroes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think David Perry (of Shiny Entertainment) once said that Treasure was the only developer whose coding expertise truly scared him.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,482 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They are stupidly good at what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I still can't get my head round Bangai-O. I want to like it but... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Quality,
    I didn't even know it was coming to XBLA.
    Now we need Alien soldier.
    What a great game,but impossibly hard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Alien Soldier is managable especially with the lenient checkpointing. You cna grind your way though it. Now a no death run is much tougher considering you have to ration your ammo.

Master of the Universe

You don't need to ration ammo - you just need to know when to use each one. They repower themselves while not in use.

I've found the best solution is powering through the levels with the standard gun with straffing turned on. The moment you start the game, press down and A. ONLY use that way of shooting. Never the other. I think it's the biggest mistake most people make and think the game is a lot harder then it is.

Also, figure out the Phoenix attack and use it - a lot.

You also seriously need to figure out the way of getting health from enemies. I didn't realize this for absolutely ages. It makes the game a lot easier.

Then when you get to the boss use the blue rail gun type thing (I can't remember what it's called, it's been a while since I've played it)

The blue rail gun thing uses one block of power per shot. So while selecting weapons, have three of these and then one normal gun.

The only other one I use then is the homing gun (I put it in the standard gun slot) for levels with lots of flying enemies. But once that's over I try to replace it with the standard gun again.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I still can't get my head round Bangai-O. I want to like it but... :confused:

Ya... I wish the game was structered better and there's simply no excuse for that kind of slow-down in a game. Intentional or not.

Am I gotta admit, I think they are a tad bit overated. They're very good no doubt but I think Something like Gunstar heroes pales compared to Contra III on the SNES( forget it's PAL name super probotector or something)

The games they make look great though.

I think Gunstar Heroes is superior in every way to Contra 3, there's no comparison. Also think Contra 3 is a tad overrated, take out the crap overhead levels and there's not much game left. Hard Corp and Shattered Soldier are way better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Contra 3 and Gunstar Heroes were actually made by some of same team!

Well Treasure was formed by ex Konami coders. There's elements of the team that made Axelay and Rocket Knight Adventures as well.

Yeah and Super Castlevania IV as well. They're quite the talented bunch and one of my favourite developers! I think it's a close call between Gunstar Heroes and Contra 3 though, I think Contra 3 has better music!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sin & Punishment 2 is awesome.

That is all.

Yeah and Super Castlevania IV as well. They're quite the talented bunch and one of my favourite developers! I think it's a close call between Gunstar Heroes and Contra 3 though, I think Contra 3 has better music!

Think there's no comparison. contra 3 is a very good game but Gunstar Heroes is way better.

Master of the Universe

I like Contra 3, but it really wreaks of being an early Snes game. 'look at me! I can do Mode 7!!!1111one!!!' Contra Hard Corps features a lot of effects too but they're nowhere near as blatant and unsubtle as Contra 3.

I find in general, Gunstar Heroes is a lot more professional in it's design and presentation. Plus it's just more fun to play.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think there's no comparison. contra 3 is a very good game but Gunstar Heroes is way better.

Well I think they're both classics and the fact that they were on the virtual console pretty early means I can just stick them on blast away! Also Sin and Punishment on the virtual console is excellent as well, it was the first time I ever got to play it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Very happy to have the complete PAL treasure library for the MD, really want to get the Jap exclusive one aswell though

Master of the Universe

Yu Yu Hakusho? Technically there was an official PAL release in Brazil by Tectoy. It's super rare, but if you want that PAL collection to be complete.... :pac:

3942907260_5da5482c80_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Is that the only 2 Brazil exclusive games there? Becuase thats all im going to get, it'll be hard finding it though.

Still cant believe you nicked the Duck Nukem, you are the jam!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Is that the only 2 Brazil exclusive games there? Becuase thats all im going to get, it'll be hard finding it though.

Still cant believe you nicked the Duck Nukem, you are the jam!

There's the two of them and also Nightmare Circus.

Yeah, couldn't believe I got that Duke 3d for so cheap! It was hard to even find it at all. Unfortunately mine is missing the booket :(

Here's one here but it's crazy money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Duke-Nukem-3D-Mega-Drive-1997-Ultra-Rare-/150581464555?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item230f5acdeb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Was once offered DN md cib for €70,turned it down,its frustrating at times anyway.

Article about the legal status of game- http://www.segaretro.org/Duke_Nukem_3D_%28Mega_Drive%29

Master of the Universe

It's frustrating alright (way too hard for it's own good) but as far as gaming oddities go, it's certainly up there. For that reason alone I had to pick it up.

That's an interesting bit of info regarding 3D Relms/GT Interactive, I didn't know that.

I'd imagine it was just George Broussard doing what he does best, being a dick, and Tectoy did get the license from GT Interactive which at the time did hold the publishing rights to Duke Nukem and gave them out to other 3rd parties. Tectoy from what I know were very good about obtaining and honouring licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Love both Gunstar Heroes and Super Probotector (aka Contra 3) and I can't reallydecide which I prefer but I definitely think you can't say that gh pales in comparison... And the music in both is brilliant!

I don't think there's any debate. For gameplay GH wins out especially with how many options are available to the player and in 2 player even more so since you can throw the other player. The amount of imagination and how well it's pulled off in GH dwarfs Contra 3. It's consistently brilliant through all 7 of it's stages which are huge while Contra 3 only really has 4 good short stages and 2 poor mode 7 ones. There's a lot more replayability in GH as well since from going from easy to normal to hard all the bosses and normal enemies gain new attacks making the game play very differently. Treasure basically took their experience with making Contra 3 and without the restraints Konami placed on them made a much better game. I'm not saying Contra 3 is bad either.

Now if you want to discuss whether Metal Slug of Gunstar is the greatest in the run and gun genre then you have a debate but Contra 3 vs Gunstar, there's really no contest. AnywayI don't think Contra 3 is even the best contra game and would pick hard corp and shattered soldier over it.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Now if you want to discuss whether Metal Slug of Gunstar is the greatest in the run and gun genre then you have a debate

Woahhhhhh there! Metal Slug is greater than Gunstar Heroes. Metal Slug 2 & X are greater than Gunstar Heroes. Metal Slug 3 is greater than Gunstar Heroes. Everything after that is open to debate :p

Metal Slug 3? You know I never got the love for that game. The Metal Slug fans love it but I think it's so-so.

Does Metal Slug allow you to throw your friend at a boss for extra damage?

I thought not. Debate closed :P

Master of the Universe

You only dislike Metal Slug 3 because of that Retrogamer article :p

It has **** loads of multiple paths, yetis, a rideable elephant..even the submarine from In The Hunt.

If you don't like it, play it again. If you don't like it then, you just haven't played it enough!

• Advertisement

It doesn't feel as polished as the first two games. Some of the multiple paths are just bland compared to how tightly focused the first two games are.

It insists upon itself.

And nope it's not because of the retrogamer article, although I can see where stuart campbell is coming from. I actually haven't read that article, only the ridiculous aftermath on the neo geo forums!

Advertisement