Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help.

Options
  • 27-05-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

We have been considering making an app' for a while for our website and wondered what is involved in putting together an iPhone and /or Android app'.

Naturally I would be employing someone, but we don't know the first thing about it so we would be looking for info' on cost, time it takes, resources needed, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

Whats the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jpmiddleton

There isn't an app' right now, we are looking for people to help develop one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I think he/she meant what kind of app? You can create a basic app in a week with very little spend.

Is it just an app that uses a webview to display something for example with some extra integration into your current website?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Check out Flex for Mobile, you'll need the Flex 4.5 SDK or download Flash Builder 4.5 (trial for 60 days or get a free serial if unemployed/in college)
    You can check out the stuff it can do on the TourDeFlex showcase (just find the Mobile section) - http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/flex/tourdeflex/web/#
    It's also on Android Market, requires Adobe AIR & Flash to run (also on market).

The very latest prerelease version builds for Android, iPhone and Blackberry I think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Can you not just make a mobile version of the website so it looks good on small screen? I bet you do not need to make an app at all.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Can you not just make a mobile version of the website so it looks good on small screen? I bet you do not need to make an app at all.

That's been considered and is a viable alternative. However it may not ne cheap, it is a vBulletin forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

No app needed - just use Tapatalk plugin in your forum:

http://www.tapatalk.com/

cros13 wrote: »
    No app needed - just use Tapatalk plugin in your forum:

http://www.tapatalk.com/

I have looked into that but it would our members to use it, I would prefer to pay the costs myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

An app for a specific vBulletin forum would be pretty extensive I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yep. JP you are gonna pay a fortune for re-inventing the wheel here. It would be a LOT cheaper for you to give all your users e2 bonus credit, that would compensate them for buying tapatalk (which is actually free on some platforms, not on iphone or android tho).

edit: Here's an idea: Contact the developer of Tapatalk, and offer to buy a special version that only works on your forum. You could pay him a lumpsum and then offer the app to all your users. And NO it's not me :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement