Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub owner decides max. withdrawal in atm?

Options
  • 27-05-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hi all, first time posting in this forum (hopefully the right place for this question)...

There's a pub near me (I won't mention the name just in case...)that has an atm in the entrance. It's a standard AIB one, max withdrawal is €200 at a time. The thing is, the owner of the pub polices the atm and stops people withdrawing more than €200 at a time. Surely it's the bank that decides how much you can withdraw at once, and not this chap. It's not as if it was a one-off either, he is constantly at it. I'm guessing it is the responsibilty of the bank that issues the atm to keep it full, so I cannot see what his problem is.

Is this illegal? Is there any way to complain about this? I'm not a complainer by any stretch, but I have never seen this happening anywhere else in all my days, and it bugged the hell out of me to be told by this guy that I could not access my own money.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

He may not be insured to have much cash on the premises and has to take steps to ensure that all his customers can get access to money.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    He may not be insured to have much cash on the premises and has to take steps to ensure that all his customers can get access to money.

Cheers. I just find it strange that it is the only place I have ever seen this happening, and this guy has a rep of being difficult. If his insurance can't hack it then it shouldn't be there imo. He should let customers requiring cash use laser cards to get cashback in that case, and just cut the atm loose altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Glebee

How does he actually stop you taking out more than €200. Is that the max the ATM will give out?

Glebee wrote: »
    How does he actually stop you taking out more than €200. Is that the max the ATM will give out?

The max is €200 at a time, but the machine will keep giving out cash until your daily limit (set by the bank) is reached. He hangs around near the atm (it is in a corridoor linking the pub to the off-licence) and if he sees someone going to withdraw a second time he will walk over and say you cannot. He has also threatened to bar people from the pub if they do so....

Sounds like a bit of a gob ****e. Aib would be actually paying him so they can provide the service. He probally wants to try and keep cash in the machine so it's not running out of cash.Is it a small stand alone ATM or a big through the wall ATM?

• Advertisement

Sounds like a bit of a gob ****e. Aib would be actually paying him so they can provide the service. He probally wants to try and keep cash in the machine so it's not running out of cash.

Yep, he's a lot of a gob****e, and I cannot see why he's concerned about the machine getting emptied which seems to be the case. Surely it's AIB's concern, not his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

RVD420 wrote: »
    Yep, he's a lot of a gob****e, and I cannot see why he's concerned about the machine getting emptied which seems to be the case. Surely it's AIB's concern, not his.

Because other customers will be pissed off. He'd rather have 4 people taking out fifty and spending it than 1 person taking out 200 and spending 50.

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    Because other customers will be pissed off. He'd rather have 4 people taking out fifty and spending it than 1 person taking out 200 and spending 50.

Spot on. That's his view point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Of course there is an easy solution OP.
    Drink in another pub! Come into this guys pub - lift 200EUR and make a big point of saying thanks before heading to the nearest other pub

Of course there is an easy solution OP.
    Drink in another pub! Come into this guys pub - lift 200EUR and make a big point of saying thanks before heading to the nearest other pub

Good point, and I certainly don't drink in this place btw, it was the nearest atm to me at the time. It just grinds my gears that he's saying I cannot access my own cash when it has nothing to do with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The owner would have to stock the machine himself i believe, so he wants to avoid 20 people coming in and withdrawing €12000 and then only spending €200 in the pub leaving him with the problem of finding another €12k to fund the atm.

not defending his manner just trying to explain why he wouldnt want a few people cleaning out the atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

The max is €200 at a time, but the machine will keep giving out cash until your daily limit (set by the bank) is reached. He hangs around near the atm (it is in a corridoor linking the pub to the off-licence) and if he sees someone going to withdraw a second time he will walk over and say you cannot. He has also threatened to bar people from the pub if they do so....

How does he know how much you take out?

If he sees you visiting the machine a second time tell him you took out 50 euro and now you are taking out a second 50 euro.

Shelflife wrote: »
    The owner would have to stock the machine himself i believe, so he wants to avoid 20 people coming in and withdrawing €12000 and then only spending €200 in the pub leaving him with the problem of finding another €12k to fund the atm.

not defending his manner just trying to explain why he wouldnt want a few people cleaning out the atm.

Interesting.... I never copped it was up to the owner to restock the atm. But I wonder why doesn't he just do like the newsagents etc., who also host atms, when the atm is empty, it's empty!? Why is he makin it his concern when at the end of the day it's nothing to do with him.. He could easily pass the buck and blame AIB like I've seen many newsagents do...
    How does he know how much you take out?

If he sees you visiting the machine a second time tell him you took out 50 euro and now you are taking out a second 50 euro.

The guy watches the atm like a hawk, there's a camera just above it, which may very well be for security purposes, but there are two screens (in the off-o, and the bar) where he (and his barstaff minions) can keep an eye on things.

Ok, thanks to all who replied to this thread, I guess what he's doing is not strictly "illegal"....just annoying as fcuk. This person in question has pi$$ed off a lot of people over various things throughout the course of time, including myself, and I was hoping he could be legally caught out with this atm nonsense, which doesn't seem to be the case. Not to worry....

I'm gonna take the advice of a previous poster and go in, withdraw my €200, and ask him the directions to (nearest pub). I will then ask 10 friends to do exactly the same, within 5 minutes after one another.

Ok, before I say anything controversial I will politely exit stage left, and thank you all for your replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

leave him keep it dont go there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Or write to the bank/company that supplied the ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

whiney whiney responses.

The guys trying to run a business. He prob only allowed the atm to be installed in the hope that more of his customers would have disposable cash to spend in his pub. Most of the pub trade has been annihilated in recent times.

It's likely having the atm on his premises causes him quite a bit of additional bother. I imagine seeing people coming in to simply get out money and walk out again is very annoying.

Chances are if you complain too much to the bank, and he isn't getting a sufficient benefit from the machine, you might find yourself walking up town in the rain in the future to get some cash, as he'll probably remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Sounds like a bit of a gob ****e. Aib would be actually paying him so they can provide the service. He probally wants to try and keep cash in the machine so it's not running out of cash.Is it a small stand alone ATM or a big through the wall ATM?

Why is he a gob***te ?

We had one and builders kept coming in and taking out their weeks wages.

After a few of them, there was no money left for the customers of the store, and this created problems as "its out of order again"?

The ATM we had was loaded by the shop, so there was only so much money we had to put into it.

I put a sign on ours to say withdrawls over 200 euro would incur charges of €5. Then some busybody came in and took a photo of my sign to show Joe Duffy.

We just had the ATM taken out, it wasnt worth the hassle, oh and one other thing, the bank does not pay (to my knowledge) to have an ATM in a store or pub - it actually COSTS money to have one.

Cheers. I just find it strange that it is the only place I have ever seen this happening, and this guy has a rep of being difficult. If his insurance can't hack it then it shouldn't be there imo. He should let customers requiring cash use laser cards to get cashback in that case, and just cut the atm loose altogether...

This is what I do. We got rid of the ATM, but I let customers have whatever cashback they want.

NOTE: A customer is someone who comes in and spends a tenner, not a freeloader who walks in off the street and buys a 10c jelly and asks to use laser and then demands €50 cashback:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Demands €50 cash back? you either provide the service or you don't. If there is a problem do ehat everywhere else does and have a minimum spend for non-cash transactions.

• Advertisement

jdooley28 wrote: »
    Demands €50 cash back? you either provide the service or you don't. If there is a problem do ehat everywhere else does and have a minimum spend for non-cash transactions.

We do, a tenner !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

OP, report the publican to AIB, let them sort it out.
    no point in trying to be a hero or anything like that.

Advertisement