Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizzle/Bully Sticks

Options
  • 27-05-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Anyboady know any pet shops in Dublin that sell them,I remeber they used to have some in Lidle but lhey dont seem to do them anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Pet Stop in Airside have them and I think Maxi zoo have them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

My girl loves them as well. I'm currently getting them in Maxi Zoo (best price on them that I've found). I've been to quite a few of them around the Dublin area and one in Longford - they have all carried them so you'd have no problem getting them in any of their branches.

Also - someone else mentioned the petshop (can't remember the name sorry!) in Airside in Swords - was just there the other day, never knew it was there and just happened across it - its fantastic - and they also carry the bully sticks as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Maxi Zoo in Dublin and Maynooth carry them, and www.zooplus.ie do too (they have quite a variety!). My guys LOVE them!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

Thanks ill check out Maxi Zoo in Maynooth,didnt know thier was a pet shop thier.Id rather not get them off zooplus as thier based in Geramny(enough money of ours is going overseas to them ;))

Thanks ill check out Maxi Zoo in Maynooth,didnt know thier was a pet shop thier.Id rather not get them off zooplus as thier based in Geramny(enough money of ours is going overseas to them ;))

As far as I know Maxi Zoo is a German company as well?

http://www.maxizoo.ie/press0.html

It says on their website anyways that they are.

(appologies if I got your post wrong aswell :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭slashygoodness

As far as I know Maxi Zoo is a German company as well?

http://www.maxizoo.ie/press0.html

It says on their website anyways that they are.

(appologies if I got your post wrong aswell :D)

Well technically yes, but the franchise in Ireland is owned by a couple from cork - they just won the TV3 Every Job counts award..

Even so, 9/10 times I can't find the food/supplements that I am looking for from an irish based retailer or e-tailor and have to get the items from zooplus or ebay.. We feed a mix of Luath (from DTI) and Orijen large puppy along with supplements for hip dysplasia which we also get from zooplus... we are trying to get our cats onto the defu organic as soon as he is finished his Hills c/d special diet..
    Our criteria was the best we could afford for our budget and that we used food that is certified 'cruelty free'where we can.... unfortunately zooplus really helps us get the best for our budget...we would love to buy more locally, but just can't seem to find the right products at the right price...

OP: Best of luck with the change in diet, hopefully they will settle soon..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

Ahh they maybe but atleast they have set up a store in the country and providing jobs and paying taxes.

Ahh they maybe but atleast they have set up a store in the country and providing jobs and paying taxes.

I agree with this to an extent but there's a limit to how much I'm willing to "donate". I don't buy anything in maxizoo without checking the price on zooplus eg a pack of Greenies was 3.99 on zooplus and 6.99 in maxizoo last week. A toy or something I can handle a small markup or his food is just easier to pick up at DTI than get delivered but not for treats that'll last all of 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

:D I must admit we don't stock these as I can't get over what they are before they become Pizzle Sticks!! I can handle the ears but these freak me out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

:D I must admit we don't stock these as I can't get over what they are before they become Pizzle Sticks!! I can handle the ears but these freak me out!!

:eek: I googled. :eek:

• Advertisement

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Aren't they just dehydrated bull penis?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭slashygoodness

Aren't they just dehydrated bull penis?

Tasty...yummy...eh no thanks! :p

Zapperzy wrote: »
    :eek: I googled. :eek:

I've known about them for awhile so didn't need to google it myself :P:D But when a friends dog visited one day I gave the dogs one each to entertain them for awhile - my friend asked what they were and I explained - (side note: I'm a utter messer, and am quite known for it!) so she was completely skeptical about it - so she got online and googled it herself and the following what what informed her - for some reason I've always gotten a bit of a laugh out of it for some reason :D:D

"Bully sticks are increasingly popular among dog owners who prefer natural safe and healthy chews for their pets. As pet lovers realize how enjoyable bully sticks are for their dogs, word of mouth spreads, and more and more dog owners incline to these tasty dog treats rich in protein and taurine, in spite of psychological barrier that some people occasionally have feeding bull privates to their beloved pets.

So let's dot the i's and cross the t's - what are bully sticks made from? A bully stick, or what it is also called, a beef pizzle, beef stick, pizzle stick, steer stick, is 100% bull penis. Bull penis is the only ingredient of bully sticks.

While processing, the bull's penis that is usually measures around 23-25 inches in length, is removed and cleaned. Manufactures of bully sticks hang the pizzles vertically to allow containing fluids to fully run out. Without these fluids the bully stick is odorless. At the next stage of processing bully sticks are stretched, twisted and then dried or/and smoked. The outcome is a 30-40 inches long hard brown stick which is then cut into pieces appropriate for dogs of all sizes. You can choose small bully sticks of 4'', large beef pizzles of 36'' and any length between."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I've known about them for awhile so didn't need to google it myself :P:D But when a friends dog visited one day I gave the dogs one each to entertain them for awhile - my friend asked what they were and I explained - (side note: I'm a utter messer, and am quite known for it!) so she was completely skeptical about it - so she got online and googled it herself and the following what what informed her - for some reason I've always gotten a bit of a laugh out of it for some reason :D:D

"Bully sticks are increasingly popular among dog owners who prefer natural safe and healthy chews for their pets. As pet lovers realize how enjoyable bully sticks are for their dogs, word of mouth spreads, and more and more dog owners incline to these tasty dog treats rich in protein and taurine, in spite of psychological barrier that some people occasionally have feeding bull privates to their beloved pets.

So let's dot the i's and cross the t's - what are bully sticks made from? A bully stick, or what it is also called, a beef pizzle, beef stick, pizzle stick, steer stick, is 100% bull penis. Bull penis is the only ingredient of bully sticks.

While processing, the bull's penis that is usually measures around 23-25 inches in length, is removed and cleaned. Manufactures of bully sticks hang the pizzles vertically to allow containing fluids to fully run out. Without these fluids the bully stick is odorless. At the next stage of processing bully sticks are stretched, twisted and then dried or/and smoked. The outcome is a 30-40 inches long hard brown stick which is then cut into pieces appropriate for dogs of all sizes. You can choose small bully sticks of 4'', large beef pizzles of 36'' and any length between."

Hey, if its good enough for those celebrities in the jungle, its good enough for my dogs:D

I used to get them when we lived in England, freaked out a bit when I realised what they actually were, but the dogs go mad for them, so if its keeps them happy, why not? Its one of the reasons humans and dogs live together, historically they have eaten the parts of the animal that we didn't. If an animals going to be killed for food, I'd rather every part of them was used for something.

I just have a mental block about them - what if he pukes and there's chunks of bull penis in it :pac::p He had some plaque/tartar on his teeth there which is gone now - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056275604 and I've been giving him Logic dental strips but they're a bit expensive compared to the ones in the petshop. I'm thinking of maybe trying these ones as you get double for half the price or even pizzle/bullly sticks but not sure if they'll have the same affect.:confused:

tk123 wrote: »
    I just have a mental block about them - what if he pukes and there's chunks of bull penis in it :pac::p He had some plaque/tartar on his teeth there which is gone now - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056275604 and I've been giving him Logic dental strips but they're a bit expensive compared to the ones in the petshop. I'm thinking of maybe trying these ones as you get double for half the price or even pizzle/bullly sticks but not sure if they'll have the same affect.:confused:

I give my dog butchers bones about twice a month (more often if she's going along on the long car journeys I make!) and her teeth are Hollywood white! I've had people ask me where I take her to get them cleaned or how I do it. So those are completely free, and I'm often in an organic butchers and he now saves me some organic bones, so they're good quality for her and totally free. I'd say get your pups some of those and see how they work on their teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 daisychains1

PetStop in Blanchardstown sell these for 1.20 tha's the cheapest I've seen them, compared with Maxizoos 4.99

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Tony_Yeboah

Hi

Slightly off topic, but could someone tell me if these are these sticks suitable for pups?

Hi

Slightly off topic, but could someone tell me if these are these sticks suitable for pups?

I did a bit of research on it and this is the answer most often given:

"Bully sticks are a safer and healthful alternative to puppy chew treats such as rawhide and cooked bones. Most puppies can safely chew bully sticks, but they do carry certain risks. These include intestinal blockage if large chunks are swallowed. Pet owners should supervise puppies with bully sticks"

My girl is 7 months now and loves to chew chew chew - I gave her pizzle sticks when she was around 3 months old (happened to spot them & remembered how much my other dog loved them so picked them up for her, so that's the age she had them, it wasn't a decision to wait until that age or anything like that).

Like any other chew (and the articles I read agree) that they are safe but should be supervised, if you notice the pup has broken a piece off take that piece off the pup just to be sure it doesn't swallow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Tony_Yeboah

I did a bit of research on it and this is the answer most often given:

"Bully sticks are a safer and healthful alternative to puppy chew treats such as rawhide and cooked bones. Most puppies can safely chew bully sticks, but they do carry certain risks. These include intestinal blockage if large chunks are swallowed. Pet owners should supervise puppies with bully sticks"

My girl is 7 months now and loves to chew chew chew - I gave her pizzle sticks when she was around 3 months old (happened to spot them & remembered how much my other dog loved them so picked them up for her, so that's the age she had them, it wasn't a decision to wait until that age or anything like that).

Like any other chew (and the articles I read agree) that they are safe but should be supervised, if you notice the pup has broken a piece off take that piece off the pup just to be sure it doesn't swallow it.

Thanks Kali

Might leave it for a few weeks as he's only 11 weeks old now. Vet advised me to stay away from pigs ears and rawhide bones and the like while he's a pup so just looking for something enjoyable/tasty for him to chew (other than my shoes!)

Thanks Kali

Might leave it for a few weeks as he's only 11 weeks old now. Vet advised me to stay away from pigs ears and rawhide bones and the like while he's a pup so just looking for something enjoyable/tasty for him to chew (other than my shoes!)

Nylabone puppy stix ;)

Thanks Kali

If you visit a Maxizoo in their section of rawhide type things (conveniently located (usually) near the pizzle, etc section - you'll find these "braided" rawhide chew things - those are really digestible and they don't break or shard like ears and other things can - it just goes all gummy and soft as they chew it (disgusting, yes, safe yes!) so I'd highly recommend those for a young pup as they seem really safe and the bacon flavoured ones (light tan colour) come highly recommended by my girl. They seem pricey but last forever and my girl is a furious chewer!

This isn't the exact one I know of in Maxizoo - the tag is different - but the bone looks exactly the same (depending on what colour/flavour you choose)
    So it should help you to spot it.

http://www.google.ie/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.petptt.com/dog/html/images/1286033045.jpg&sa=X&ei=i9QNTrCrMMqUswaj89D-Dg&ved=0CAQQ8wc4Cg&usg=AFQjCNGkWh2NdxF_gwdxlrHbv_4GhuxXvw

tk123 wrote: »
    Nylabone puppy stix ;)

I read this recently about Nylabone

http://www.benderplace.com/allcreaturesgreatandsmall/product_alerts.htm#Nylabone

I've never really felt comfortable with them personally, I just dont like the idea of her chewing on plastic or rubber. You can smell the chemical from them, so in my world, if you can smell nasty stuff on it, you can probably taste it as well. There's billions of things out there that to me seem safer and I've read quite a few complications and issues with nylabone. Again - this is just me - and to each their own but I did read the article recently so thought that I'd pass it on. Info is power and its up to you what you do with it!

Advertisement