Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many issues at work - Don't know my rights

Options
  • 27-05-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

I have a lot of issues with the way I am being treated in work. I've tried looking up my rights online but it's just confusing me. Due to the fact that I have a personal relationship with my employer I don't feel comfortable posting about these issues on an open forum. Is there anyplace I can email to get anonymous advice about work issues? I've gotten terrible advice from citizens information before so not too keen on trying them again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

NERA, though I don't know if they'd do anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Thanks. I've had a look at their website and they seem kind of official looking. I suspect that a lot of my problems are in fact against the labour laws so I want to avoid any official organisations. I don't want to get my employer in trouble. Just want to try and understand my rights so that I can discuss my issues with her without seeming unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

In my opinion. Work in these demanding modern times is of necessity and adversarial relationship, not only between emplyer and worker but also across organisational lines between colleagues and departments etc. The trend is to downsize and eliminate headcount.

Many large organisations will not allow close family members to work with or for each other in the same departments for that reason.

I started work in a job with my father and I found it very challenging. I have also found personal relationships in the workplace caused a lot of problems at work and at home. You need to be able to put your good side out at work and sometimes need to report the shortfallings in others. Personal friendships can hamper this and jeapourdise your fragile job.......

Modern workers need to become very mercenary and impersonal in their approach to work. Avoid personal relationships, negativity, office politics etc at work. Under no circumstances go to "office parties" if you intend drinking or "letting your hair down". These "team building" exercises are only a way for companies to test you out and get more control over you. Treat them as you would an interview or meeting.......sober attendance vital. Use them to find out as much as you can about the agendas and goals of the company and what you should be aiming to do to keep your job safe.

Although I completely agree with you in theory, things don't always work out perfectly in real life. It is a small family business that I work for. In fact I am the only member of staff who is not family. And I would never have gotten my job if I had not been friends with my employer beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

whiplashy if you ring NERA they wont ask you your name or your employers name. They will just give you information and advice.im afraid if your employer is breaking labour laws, you can either make an anonymous complaint to the labour inspectorate
    http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/media/complaintform%202008.doc
    or you will have to confront him, but you cant do either until you are armed with facts. Ring NERA 1890808090 stay on the line until you speak to someone, dont press any buttons.

Thank you mrsbyrne. As I am the only non family worker an anonymous complaint isn't really an option... It wouldn't exactly be difficult to work out who made the complaint! Looks like nera is my only option. I wanted someplace I could email as I work office hours and that's not a phone call I'd feel comfortable making from work. I guess I'll just have to put up with things the way they are until I'm on leave:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Thank you mrsbyrne. As I am the only non family worker an anonymous complaint isn't really an option... It wouldn't exactly be difficult to work out who made the complaint! Looks like nera is my only option. I wanted someplace I could email as I work office hours and that's not a phone call I'd feel comfortable making from work. I guess I'll just have to put up with things the way they are until I'm on leave:(
    e-mail facilty here
    http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/aboutnera/contacts/

Thank you so much mrsbyrne! Unfortunately as a result of a meeting in work today I feel I have no other option than to hand in my resignation. I will however still email about the situation so that hopefully I will be more informed about my rights in the future.

In regards to my resignation, could anyone tell me how much notice I need to give? I don't have a written contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Soul Stretcher

Speak to a Solicitor before you hand in your resignation - if even a phonecall to a Free Legal Aid Centre.

You most definitely have rights here and your employer has a whole raft of legislation he is supposed to be complying with.

You most probably have a lot more legal bits and pieces on your side than your boss.

You are just in the dark right now. A solicitor with experience in employment matters could tell you want to do in 10-15 mins.

Just an example.. your feeling that you have no option but to resign seems to me be an obvious case of Constructive Dismissal - for which there are remedies.

Disclaimer - I'm not a Solicitor and I'm not qualified to advise you on legal matters.. but I really think you need to chat with a legal professional.. I really think you will be glad you did. Ideally have that chat before you resign so they can advise you on the consequences of that - legally speaking.

Best of luck :).

• Advertisement

Thank you Soul Stretcher for the information. As my employer has been my friend for longer than she has been my employer I am not willing to go down the legal route, even though with my limited knowledge of the labour laws even I can work out that I would probably have a case. As far as constructive dismissal goes, I actually have no idea what that means, but it doesn't sound very nice! So I'm certainly not going to accuse her of that.

I've emailed Nera and am waiting for there reply before I hand in my resignation, just to be sure that she is actually in the wrong. I'd hate to give up my job and then find out that all employers treat their staff the same way! I've said in my resignation letter that I am willing to stay until the end of August if she needs me too, so I reckon as long as I give it to her soon I'm surely giving her enough notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Soul Stretcher

Good Luck.

Constructive Dismissal is where you resign but you felt as if you had no other choice. The employer effectively pushes you to the point of handing in your resignation.

I think you need to think of your boss as your boss and not as a friend when your rights are being ignored. Why would you even be a friend with someone if they are not treating you as they should ?

Good Luck whatever you decide to do.

Oh.. and just for info.. 4 weeks notice is plenty seeing as you don't have a written contract that stipulates a longer period.

Advertisement