Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protected Structure Refurb Planning

Options
  • 27-05-2011 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello all,

I am looking at purchasing a protected structure (c1900 redbrick). I would like to get views on replacing the roof, electrics, plumbing and heating.

Due to the fact that this is a protected structure does anyone know if this is likely to require planning permission?

Any opinions, indications, experience relating to cost would also be appreciated. The property is a 2 story end of terrace with original attic conversion of c2000 sq ft.

I am aware of the section 57, and have asked the vendors request one; this can take upto 3 months. In the meantime it would be good to figure out if the renovations are likely to require planning permission.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rayjdav

The fact that it is Protected, Yes it requires planning. You dont mention what specific aspect of the building is "listed", as this may curtail any plans you have from the outset...
    If facade, you could be buggered re windows, even to roof, as it affects front elevation. I've come across some protected buildings with the wallpaper the aspect of importance.:eek:
    Re cost to do, like opening a can of worms imho. If you get permission, and only after the sturcture is stripped back, can you get a real understanding of what cost "may" be involved.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

you need an architect/ Arch Tech (with conservation experience) at the very least to deal with planning and to receive professional advice on necessary work to be carried out. depending on condition i'd also recommend a structural and wet/dry rot survey
    IMHO I'd also be looking at how energy saving & occupant comfort measures can be incorporated, cognisant of the sensitivities required in a conservation project.
    where is the house? different councils different conservation officers..
    cost: how long is a piece of string?

Advertisement