Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a physical router on a direct connection?

Options
  • 27-05-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

I use Xubuntu 11.04, and although I have the Gufw package installed with incoming connections blocked by default apart from torrents, I have no physical router and instead my LAN NIC is connected into what I think is a repeater, which takes the cable up to the roof that is receiving a signal from my ISP, am i secure firewall wise?

What is on the roof is Irish Broadband Breeze-VL (as far as I know VL not MAX) and looks very similar to http://cgi.ebay.com/ALVARION-3-5Ghz-ANTENNA-AN1704-SU-RA-OF-3-5b-OFDM-/230509999385

It should be noted, sometimes I boot into Windows 7/Windows XP which I have installed Bitdefender on.

Oh and I've heard many home firewalls from the likes of Linksys. who I know are Cisco's home subsidiary, are not usually adequate for security, so if you maintain I buy one please recommend some models. I have some Cisco 2600s here that are just missing WAN NICs, perhaps I could adapt one with a LAN NIC somehow?

Advertisement