Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unending 3-day week

Options
  • 27-05-2011 11:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, a few questions.

I was out of work between September '10 and April '11 Due to a sizeable surgery and recovery time.

returned to work in April and was immediately put on a 3 day week.. didn't question it really as things are hugely quiet and the majority of the other staff here are also on 3 day.

I asked yesterday when I would be going back on 5 days and was told " to be honest you'll probably always be on a 3 day week'. Is this right? can they do this without my agreement? I was also then asked what my plans were to have kids! When I replied with 'I have no plans' The reply I got was " well we thought with you being married now, that you'd probably want to start a family and that the 3-day week would suit you" WTF???!!!!

I know ye can't give legal advice and I'm not looking for it (not the suing type of person) what I do want to know is if I don't agree to this what are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

They can put you on short hours as an alternative to laying you off if the work isn't there.

They cannot put you on short hours because of small minded gombeen prejudice, in fact a complaint to the labour court could land such an idiot of a manager in hot water. The assumption that because a) you are a woman and b) you are married that you will simply comply with deferent gratitude to being put on short hours discriminates against you as a woman and because you are married. I'd make it clear to them that you regard it as discriminatory. Have you been treated differently to other staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

A lot of times its the employers way of "constructive dismissal" putting the squeeze on employees till they fcuk off..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

shoegirl wrote: »
    They can put you on short hours as an alternative to laying you off if the work isn't there.

They cannot put you on short hours because of small minded gombeen prejudice, in fact a complaint to the labour court could land such an idiot of a manager in hot water. The assumption that because a) you are a woman and b) you are married that you will simply comply with deferent gratitude to being put on short hours discriminates against you as a woman and because you are married. I'd make it clear to them that you regard it as discriminatory. Have you been treated differently to other staff?

I can't really say I've been treated any differently to other staff, we all get treated with the same type of attitude.... unfortunately. Although I am the only female here.

I do get the feeling though that they're trying to push me out, again yesterday I asked: So am I now definitely now ALWAYS on a 3 day week, is this permanent. I was told yes, you are always going to be on a 3 day week. I asked what if things pick up again, if you get busy will you put me back on a full week. And I was told NO.

So what am I to do with this info. The Company is going downhill I can see that, however I'm afraid this 3 day week enforcement is to keep the redundancies down when they finally do let us go, thats if we haven't left before then!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

bryaner wrote: »
    A lot of times its the employers way of "constructive dismissal" putting the squeeze on employees till they fcuk off..

Exactly what I was thinking Bryaner!

Advertisement