Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firefox question

Options
  • 27-05-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

i have built a website its fine in IE but jumping about in firefox - why would this happen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

Firefox has a plugin called Firebug which helps you see whats happening with your html and css.

Its usually the other way around, great in Firefox and crap in IE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Unless you show us the site we can't help. It's like saying, "My car is broken, how can I fix it?".

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Keewee6

Unless you show us the site we can't help. It's like saying, "My car is broken, how can I fix it?".

sorry i forgot

http://www.bailieborough.com/anon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What "jumping around" is it doing ? And is it doing it on different screen resolutions, or always ?

Also, which version of Firefox ? Both 3.x & 4.x are "in the wild" at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Just noticed that it's using tables for layout! :P

If you're going to keep this method of layout (not advised) then try putting valign='top' on each cell in the table, and also ensure that the page's margins and padding are both set to "0"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Your code is archaic, you're using tables to lay out your pages and you have inline styles everywhere. Switching to a CSS-based layout will more than likely sort out your problems.

If you don't feel up to doing that however, it's worth mentioning that all browsers render html elements differently, so you need to attach a CSS reset style sheet.

A CSS reset will reset all your html elements to the same settings across all browsers. That may help; but as long as you're using html to layout/style your pages you're going to have poor results.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/reset/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Snap!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The first big problem is that the site uses tables; this is 10-year old coding practice. You should be using <div> tags and styling the whole thing with css.

Just a quick look at the code and there are a few problems that may or may not address the overall issue.

1) Some of your table height values are off.
    2) In the home page you have <p> tags (line 18, I think) that don't need to be there and a   contained in more <p> (line 21). None of these should appear.

There is probably a lot more going on. Those are just a few obvious ones.

Frankly speaking - and I don't mean to be harsh - your site needs a redesign. Think about it like a shop front. The potential customer is drawn in by the window display and the general upkeep of the shop exterior. You have to get things looking professional before people feel confident to crossing the threshold! BTW, have you thought about social media integration?

I'm sure a would be web designer like myself could give you some help for a very reasonable fee ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Keewee6

thanks for the advice - im aware tables are out date however its wat i atm working on learning div and css - have two more jobs hopefully and they will be ccs div related

Advertisement