Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Pay

Options
  • 27-05-2011 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm due to start maternity benefit in three weeks and was wondering am I entitled to holiday pay from my employer when I'm leaving? It's been a hassle to get it off them in recent years so I doubt if I'm entitled to it they'll tell me.

Have been working there a number of years and haven't taken any paid time off this year.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Are you resigning or just going on leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You continue to accrue annual leave while on maternity leave, if that's what you mean?

A company is not allowed pay you instead of your statutory annual leave, so I imagine that all that will happen is that you will still have your full allocation to use by the end of the 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have just heard before that when people leave a job they get 8% of their wage that year or something like that and I thought because I would be off until near the end of the year I wouldn't get to use my days off so would be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

When you leave a job, you can get paid for your outstanding leave alright, but you're not leaving your job. You just won't get a chance to take your leave, so I'm not sure what happens in that circumstance.

It might be worth contacting NERA: http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

are you going on maternity leave, and intending not to come back? of course, theres nothing wrong with that, im just trying to get at what it is you want to know. The normal thing is, you will go on maternity leave, possibly you will be in receipt of Maternity benefit (you dont say), your wages as normal, whatever...
    you can take up to 16 weeks of unpaid extra maternity leave at the end of your 26 weeks Maternity Benefit, if you want. All this time you will be "accruing" annual leave at the rate of 1 2/3 days per month, or 8% depending on whether your part-time or full-time. .when your maternity leave (including any unpaid maternity leave) is coming to an end, you can write to him asking him to let you take the holidays you are owed starting when your maternity leave ends.. Beware, he does not have to give you these holidays when you ask for them, but most do as he has to give them to you soon, and most employers are expecting this to happen anyway, and will have factored it into the roster. Eoin, NERA will not deal with Maternity Leave it is the Eqaulity Authority, 1890 245545

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    are you going on maternity leave, and intending not to come back? of course, theres nothing wrong with that, im just trying to get at what it is you want to know. The normal thing is, you will go on maternity leave, possibly you will be in receipt of Maternity benefit (you dont say), your wages as normal, whatever...
    you can take up to 16 weeks of unpaid extra maternity leave at the end of your 26 weeks Maternity Benefit, if you want. All this time you will be "accruing" annual leave at the rate of 1 2/3 days per month, or 8% depending on whether your part-time or full-time. .when your maternity leave (including any unpaid maternity leave) is coming to an end, you can write to him asking him to let you take the holidays you are owed starting when your maternity leave ends.. Beware, he does not have to give you these holidays when you ask for them, but most do as he has to give them to you soon, and most employers are expecting this to happen anyway, and will have factored it into the roster. Eoin, NERA will not deal with Maternity Leave it is the Eqaulity Authority, 1890 245545

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure yet if I'll be going back to that job.

I will be getting maternity benefit from the state with no top up from my employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure yet if I'll be going back to that job.

I will be getting maternity benefit from the state with no top up from my employer.
    if you are not returning to work you need to give 4 weeks written notice. your final cheque from your employer should include all holidays and public holidays accrued during your maternity leave.. you will probably be disqualified from JSB for 9 weeks if you give in your notice.

Advertisement