Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATH Knockout Round1: JP Liz vs thebostoncrab

Options
  • 27-05-2011 7:34am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Alright so we had a great opener with Teamshadowclan inching past Voltwad to join Cactus Colm in the 1st quater final, now for our second match up. JP Liz vs thebostoncrab and the rules & question are below

Simplified version of the rules:
    I will post a topic and you have to post your response including why you made that choice within a given time limit (before the next match is scheduled to begin), take care while making your responses however as the other contestant can counter your arguement i.e pointing out possible flaws in what youve said.

*you can only counter an arguement two times so make sure your point is worth making. If someone's defense of their arguement isnt good it will count against them.

*You can use the same answer as your opponent if you wish i.e you agree with their choice however its hard to win a debate when your making the same points someone has already made

see the OP of the main thread for further details, the 1st match's thread or if any are needed or check out last years competition.

Q1: There has been a lot of talk recently about the WWE bringing back managers. If you could pick one wrestler and one potential manager who are already on WWE's payroll to team together who would you choose? why would you choose those two and why would your choice be better than your opponents?

good luck.

Who should progress to the quater finals? 2 votes

JP Liz
    0%
    thebostoncrab
    100%
    The VoltLord TSC 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Question

There has been a lot of talk recently about the WWE bringing back managers. If you could pick one wrestler and one potential manager who are already on WWE's payroll to team together who would you choose? Why would you choose those two and why would your choice be better than your opponents?

Ladies, Gentlemen, Distinguished Guests and Distinguished PW Board Members welcome.
    As I present my choice (wearing a very short skirt and low cut top) I must say that this excellent but tricky question bought up quite a few options but the superstars I have finally chosen I feel could bring out the best in each other.
    My choice is William Regal and Daniel Bryan.
    Regal and Bryan have history as Regal trained him. I think we can all agree Regal won’t ever be getting any push to the main event level despite the man being a former tag team champion, IC champion, hardcore champion and king of the ring winner and Regal is good on the mic and this is an area that we have not seen Daniel perform well with. He is great in the ring, but he still isn't over with the fans. Daniel Bryan(Bryan Danielson is the quintessentialinternet darling) is a former US champion and now that both Daniel and Regal have been drafted to Smackdown it could start with some interaction between both backstage. Daniel could have won the IC title from Barrett but then lost it back to him and gone on to have a few more losses which frustrate him. Regal tells Daniel he can help him which Daniel refuses but then accepts and Regal announces he is now the Manager of the most talented wrestler on the Smackdown roster and will accept a match against anyone. Regal still can hold in his own the ring so he could also team occasionally with Daniel maybe they could also have a tag title reigm. This could also signal a heel turn for Daniel. I think it is easier to push a heel and to get a crowd response when you just want them to hate you. Daniel could start using Regal’s brass knuckles during matches and after beating nearly the entire Smackdown roster eventually earns a WHC title match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Managers are indeed something that is missing from the WWE today that are a very easy way to get someone over with the crowd. A good manager needs the charisma to cover their clients weakness on the mic over. We also need to look back at why a manager is there; to make money. A manager doesn't care about their client as long as the paychecks come in, so the best way to use one is to have a heel manager and client which leads to a face turn by the client and the manager finding someone now to silence their new enemy. With that in mind we need someone with natural charisma and someone who could work as both a heel and a face. Looking at the current roster, one combo sticks out more than any, but it will involve getting someone from FCW: Booker T to manage Seth "Tyler Black" Rollins.

The story starts off when Tough Enough wraps up. Whoever the winner is comes out on the following episode of Raw to a huge pop and the congratulations from Austin, Stratus, Demott and Booker. He gives a great speech talking about how happy he is and how he is going to become a main player in the WWE and not become another Maven. Each couch speaks about what they like about the winner,but when Booker talks he mentions FCW. He says that there are some great guys down there who are gunning for the TE winners spot that feel cheated. He doesn't act fully heel,but is simply warning the TE winner that he has a huge target on his chest, and to make sure he remembers that. At that point everyone walks back to the entrance to leave the TE winner in the ring to thank the crowd, when Rollins jumps the ramp and takes him out. Booker runs down, almost as if he is making the save, but instead he shakes Rollins hand and they stand together.

The following week Booker speaks about how Rollins trained with Booker in his gym (A lie I know but it doesnt matter) and he saw the future of the WWE.But when Tough Enough came calling, Rollins didn't meet what a WWE Superstar should be,and this angered him. Booker then decided to take Rollins under his wing, by scouting out the weaknesses of everyone in TE, so Rollins could take them all out and become the star he deserves to be. It leads to a feud between Booker/Rollins and another TE couch and the winner.

The pairing works because Rollins has the skill in the ring to get over, but needs alot of work on the mic. Booker how ever is a natural heel and knows how to get the crowd heat, and can show Rollins what to do. When Rollins eventually turns face (By realising Booker doesn't care about him,only money) it will lead to a huge pop from the fans and Booker would have teached Rollins enough to let him go on his own, and we also have an instant feud.

So why do I feel this works better than Bryan/Regal? There is no denying that Regal would make a great manager, but he would be wasted on Bryan,for the simple reason that Bryan doesn't need him. Bryan has a natural charisma and nows how to work a crowd,especially as a heel.It would be pointless to give him a manager because he simply doesn't need one. Regal and him would be better suited as a tag team, especially since Regal is still active in the ring, unlike Booker. Plus Bryan is already established with the crowd, a manager should be used to get a new person with no history to the fans over. I know you will all agree that pairing Booker T with Seth Rollins would be much better for the business than Bryan being managed by William Regal.

Managers are indeed something that is missing from the WWE today that are a very easy way to get someone over with the crowd. A good manager needs the charisma to cover their clients weakness on the mic over. We also need to look back at why a manager is there; to make money. A manager doesn't care about their client as long as the paychecks come in, so the best way to use one is to have a heel manager and client which leads to a face turn by the client and the manager finding someone now to silence their new enemy. With that in mind we need someone with natural charisma and someone who could work as both a heel and a face. Looking at the current roster, one combo sticks out more than any, but it will involve getting someone from FCW: Booker T to manage Seth "Tyler Black" Rollins.

The story starts off when Tough Enough wraps up. Whoever the winner is comes out on the following episode of Raw to a huge pop and the congratulations from Austin, Stratus, Demott and Booker. He gives a great speech talking about how happy he is and how he is going to become a main player in the WWE and not become another Maven. Each couch speaks about what they like about the winner,but when Booker talks he mentions FCW. He says that there are some great guys down there who are gunning for the TE winners spot that feel cheated. He doesn't act fully heel,but is simply warning the TE winner that he has a huge target on his chest, and to make sure he remembers that. At that point everyone walks back to the entrance to leave the TE winner in the ring to thank the crowd, when Rollins jumps the ramp and takes him out. Booker runs down, almost as if he is making the save, but instead he shakes Rollins hand and they stand together.

The following week Booker speaks about how Rollins trained with Booker in his gym (A lie I know but it doesnt matter) and he saw the future of the WWE.But when Tough Enough came calling, Rollins didn't meet what a WWE Superstar should be,and this angered him. Booker then decided to take Rollins under his wing, by scouting out the weaknesses of everyone in TE, so Rollins could take them all out and become the star he deserves to be. It leads to a feud between Booker/Rollins and another TE couch and the winner.

The pairing works because Rollins has the skill in the ring to get over, but needs alot of work on the mic. Booker how ever is a natural heel and knows how to get the crowd heat, and can show Rollins what to do. When Rollins eventually turns face (By realising Booker doesn't care about him,only money) it will lead to a huge pop from the fans and Booker would have teached Rollins enough to let him go on his own, and we also have an instant feud.

So why do I feel this works better than Bryan/Regal? There is no denying that Regal would make a great manager, but he would be wasted on Bryan,for the simple reason that Bryan doesn't need him. Bryan has a natural charisma and nows how to work a crowd,especially as a heel.It would be pointless to give him a manager because he simply doesn't need one. Regal and him would be better suited as a tag team, especially since Regal is still active in the ring, unlike Booker. Plus Bryan is already established with the crowd, a manager should be used to get a new person with no history to the fans over. I know you will all agree that pairing Booker T with Seth Rollins would be much better for the business than Bryan being managed by William Regal.

While anything to get Booker T away from the Smackdown announce team is a good thing, I think he is overrated. Booker's best days were in WCW. I think he would fail with promos trying to push Black. I was never a fan of heel Booker T and his mic skills but I did enjoy his segments with Golddust but this was more so down to Golddust than Booker T. Daniel needs to get the crowd to care about him either love him or hate him and currently he isnt getting any reaction. He wont win over the crowd with his pure ability.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    While anything to get Booker T away from the Smackdown announce team is a good thing, I think he is overrated. Booker's best days were in WCW. I think he would fail with promos trying to push Black. I was never a fan of heel Booker T and his mic skills but I did enjoy his segments with Golddust but this was more so down to Golddust than Booker T. Daniel needs to get the crowd to care about him either love him or hate him and currently he isnt getting any reaction. He wont win over the crowd with his pure ability.

Of course Bryan won't make it based on skill alone, but he has the mic skills and has proven this in the past. He doesn't need a manager, he needs to be given the mic:

If Booker plays as himself, in a role like in TE,it would be perfect to get Black over. Booker isn't on the same level mic wise as say The Rock or Cena, but he is a big name. That is enough for the everyday WWE fan to take notice, and by being paired with him it'll do great things for Black.

In summation I think with Regal as his manager this could help push Daniel within the WWE. I could only see good things coming from this pairing and if they go the heel route, Daniel could become SD's top heel.

• Advertisement

Booker T & Seth Rollins (Tyler Black) would not only allow a new heel to debut, rise the ranks and then turn face, it also sets up for a number of story lines that would help elevate a number of different talents (Seth vs. TE winner, Seth vs. Upper midcarder, Seth face turn,Seth vs.Bookers new talent) and create more faces and heel that are badly needed on the Smackdown roster. Unlike Bryan and Regal, Seth needs the voice, Bryan already has one and could benefit from a tag team role with Regal more so than a manger role.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

with a 75% majority thebostoncrab progresses to the quater final. Commiserations Liz and well played but its time for the next match up and Danger Dave vs Slickric

Advertisement