Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help re html editor????

Options
  • 27-05-2011 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there,
    I have had my website managed by someone for the past year and have asked that I start editing it myself. He has advised that I need a html editor. Can anyone advise on best one to download (preferably free) but if there are ones that are really worth a bit of money I could buy. Totally at a loss..... and slightly outta my depth, but excited at thought of editing own stuff. Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Try Notepad++. It's fairly basic, has a couple of extensions available (such as FTP manager).

Kompozer is another one you could use. It has a WYSIWYG editor built-in, in case you are not too comfortable with HTML code.

Both of the above are free. If you want to spend money on a HTML editor, you may as well go the full whack and buy Dreamweaver. Students and teachers/lecturers get a substantial discount on Adobe products ;)

Microsoft Expression Studio is another candidate, which students can get for free through Dreamspark.com but I can't say anything about it as I never actually used it.

Verdict
    If you're even vaguely familiar with HTML and need a free solution, Notepad++ is the way to go. You can set it up to connect to your server and automatically update the file on the website when you change it. Saves a lot of time manually downloading and uploading files.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Have a look at Cushycms (http://www.cushycms.com/en). Once you set it up on all of the pages you get a very easy interface to edit for beginners and its free.

You wont learn too much from it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sounsd like you need a Content Management System more than a html editor.

As hearny says, CushyCMS one good solution, but PageLime is also worth a look. It appears to have a lot more than CushyCMS such as adding new pages. (Haven't checked it properly yet though) They've also made an appearance around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Concrete5 is also worth a look. It also allows you to add pages on the fly.

Advertisement