Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Nurses! wanted !

Options
  • 26-05-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hey lads anyone out there thinking **** i dont know what to do?
    worried about a future ?
    well i can give you a good piece of advice!
    male nurses are needed in irish hospitals.

you can travel the world with this career and its really exciting when your on certain placements.. if your into medical stuff but not into the really nitty gritty then nursing right for you.. its a fun job and very rewarding!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

This is actually what I have down on my CAO. Nice to know its needed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

It's what you'd be hoping to hear when you finish your degree. Things can change alot in 4/5 years. But still good to hear for males planning on doing nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ptrlaurent

listen dude there is a world shortage of male nurses.. em you just have to see it for your self this is an issue.. health care is not engineering its not going to change in 4-5 years so thats a stupid response, people will always be sick and old people may often need care so therefore healthcare is a never ending cycle..

the good thing about men going into nursing is that we are more likely to earn promotion faster than female counterparts.. thus it explains the reason why because of the shortage world wide the quicker you get promoted and better payed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

How long does it take to qualify as a male nurse ?

its takes 4 years currently in your 4th year you get a wage on your placement..

however the course may go down to 3 to copy the french and dutch systems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

whats the money like?

the moneys good, depending on where you place yourself.. the more intense and advanced the nursing (ie. operating theater nurse, advanced nurse practitioner)

however money shifts so if there is a need for nurses in certain fields lets say .. for talks sake a day clinic the pay may be better as an attraction to go there..

there are private hospitals opening all over Ireland, they can offer really nice pay packages..

at the end of the day its a steady job with good pay, and a great feel good factor that money cant buy

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

ptrlaurent wrote: »
    not engineering its not going to change in 4-5 years so thats a stupid response, people will always be sick and old people may often need care so therefore healthcare is a never ending cycle..

How is it a stupid response. Are you saying there will always be a high demand for male nurses & that this demand won't be met?

the good thing about men going into nursing is that we are more likely to earn promotion faster than female counterparts..

That's a sexist statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I was told by the school counselor that thats wage is been done away with....

well there will always be a demand because so few go for the job..

on the sexist remark.. its not sexist its just a fact of life .. men get promotions in work more than women... (how many females do you see in our dail)

• Advertisement

AG2R wrote: »

I was told by the school counselor that thats wage is been done away with....

the 4th year wage is being reviewed its not done away with.. however if it is they will reduce the qualification to 3 years.. in my opinion i dont think that they will scrap the 4th year wage as there will be allot of backlash for such a move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Paauull

Nursing is my first choice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

the 4th year wage is being reviewed its not done away with.. however if it is they will reduce the qualification to 3 years.. in my opinion i dont think that they will scrap the 4th year wage as there will be allot of backlash for such a move
    I think you're wrong there. I remember reading it was decreasing every year for like 5 years, until it gets to zero.

theowen wrote: »
    I think you're wrong there. I remember reading it was decreasing every year for like 5 years, until it gets to zero.

no its being reviewed nothing has being deducted so far so the minister of health is not looking like he is going to touch it now

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

It has been currently done away with but are reviewing it as far as I know. But the current pay scale that is in is that the current 4th years who are on their internship are getting either 80% (if they signed their contract before Christmas when the changes were made) or 76% if they signed after. Then This years 3rd years will get 60% for their internship, this years 2nd years will get 50%, this years 1st years will get 40% and those starting nursing in sept will get nothing. My 2 friends are on their 4th year internship for general nursing and they're getting paid the 76% so it is in effect.

Wait... they will reduce the course to 3 years?! That's an awful idea! I'm just finished my second year of psychiatric nursing and if I thought that next year was my final year?! Well.. I know myself that I would be an incompetent nurse. You really do need the 4 years to be competent IMO, I mean.. you spend a year in the wards in 4th year?!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

hey lads anyone out there thinking **** i dont know what to do?
    worried about a future ?
    well i can give you a good piece of advice!
    male nurses are needed in irish hospitals.

Would you mind telling me where you are getting this information from, I am a male Psych nurse graduated 2 years ago. There is a recruitment embargo in place so no HSE jobs for the past 3 years apart from the odd one here or there. Most graduates have had to go to the UK the remaining one either scrap it out for Agency Work (Which is the pits) or have left Nursing completely. Things are a complete disaster in Nursing at the moment for recent graduates males and females alike!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Seems like the trend is reversed, I'm seeing a lot of ads looking for nurses these days. I've a friend who works in one of the Maters as a male nurse and he's trying to get me to follow him in.

Advertisement