Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Jailed over cork assault

Options
  • 26-05-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0526/breaking47.html

A garda who got into a row in Cork city while off-duty and knocked a man unconscious has been jailed for six months for assault.

Dean Foley (25), who was stationed in Bantry at the time, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Stephen Murphy at Grand Parade in Cork on September 12th, 2009.

The case against Foley - who is currently suspended from An Garda Siochana - is the first to be investigated by the Garda Ombudsman Commission to result in a custodial sentence.

Mr Murphy suffered a broken nose, fractures to his cheekbones, broken teeth and bleeding to the brain in the late night assault which happened after an exchange of words.

Foley, with an address at Tradean, Knocknasuff, Blarney, Co Cork broke down in the witness box at Cork Circuit Criminal Court as he spoke of his remorse for the assault.

He said that one moment of madness had cost him his career and he deeply regretted his actions and the injuries he caused Mr Murphy, who was 29 at the time.

The court heard that Foley had sold his car and his motorbike and borrowed extensively to come up with a substantial sum of compensation to offer to Mr Murphy.

Foley had been with his brother, Travis when words were exchanged with Mr Murphy, who was intoxicated at the time. A row broke out and this escalated into an assault.

Foley was stopped by gardai that night and made a cautioned statement admitting throwing a punch but he had no idea that Mr Murphy was so seriously injured, the court heard.

Mr Murphy wrote to the court and said he had no wish to see Foley go to jail but he was happy to leave the penalty up to the court.

Foley's brother Travis has already pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of assault and is due for sentence in relation to the offence on June 27th.

Judge Seán Ó Donnabháin noted Foley's guilty plea and his offer of substantial compensation but he said that he could not ignore the injuries suffered by Mr Murphy.

Mr Murphy was very intoxicated at the time and it was not a contest of equals, he said as he sentenced Dean Foley to 18 months in jail. The final 12 months were suspended.

Have to say I feel sorry for the guy.A moment of madness and he ends up destroying his career and his reputation.I hope the prison authorities make sure to protect him.The guy he assaulted had no wish for him to be sent down but I suppose with the extreme injuries the judge felt he had no choice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

A moment of madness or just pure thuggery - take your pick I guess. This was a very serious assault and I would imagine the fact the attacker was a Garda had a bearing on the sentence ( i.e. possibly saw a tougher sentence than what otherwise may have been the case ).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Would that sentance be in line it what is usually handed down for an attack of that nature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Would that sentance be in line it what is usually handed down for an attack of that nature?

Pretty much, the fact that he (Garda) showed serious remorse, begged for a lesser sentence and offered compensation had a pull in his sentence.

The guy who got attacked is very lucky to be alive let alone not paralysed from the bleeding on the brain.

Feel sorry for both parties really. A Garda in a prison along side people he may have put in there is not going to be nice in fairness.

This should go to show no one is above the law and the Garda should have had more cop on that lashing out at the people he is paid to protect.

Although I did read that there is an appeal going threw at the moment in relation to the sentencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

I hope they give him soap on a rope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I hope they give him soap on a rope.
    I think being bummed will be the least of his worries as an ex-Garda in prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

jonsnow wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0526/breaking47.html

A garda who got into a row in Cork city while off-duty and knocked a man unconscious has been jailed for six months for assault.

Dean Foley (25), who was stationed in Bantry at the time, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Stephen Murphy at Grand Parade in Cork on September 12th, 2009.

The case against Foley - who is currently suspended from An Garda Siochana - is the first to be investigated by the Garda Ombudsman Commission to result in a custodial sentence.

Mr Murphy suffered a broken nose, fractures to his cheekbones, broken teeth and bleeding to the brain in the late night assault which happened after an exchange of words.

Foley, with an address at Tradean, Knocknasuff, Blarney, Co Cork broke down in the witness box at Cork Circuit Criminal Court as he spoke of his remorse for the assault.

He said that one moment of madness had cost him his career and he deeply regretted his actions and the injuries he caused Mr Murphy, who was 29 at the time.

The court heard that Foley had sold his car and his motorbike and borrowed extensively to come up with a substantial sum of compensation to offer to Mr Murphy.

Foley had been with his brother, Travis when words were exchanged with Mr Murphy, who was intoxicated at the time. A row broke out and this escalated into an assault.

Foley was stopped by gardai that night and made a cautioned statement admitting throwing a punch but he had no idea that Mr Murphy was so seriously injured, the court heard.

Mr Murphy wrote to the court and said he had no wish to see Foley go to jail but he was happy to leave the penalty up to the court.

Foley's brother Travis has already pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of assault and is due for sentence in relation to the offence on June 27th.

Judge Seán Ó Donnabháin noted Foley's guilty plea and his offer of substantial compensation but he said that he could not ignore the injuries suffered by Mr Murphy.

Mr Murphy was very intoxicated at the time and it was not a contest of equals, he said as he sentenced Dean Foley to 18 months in jail. The final 12 months were suspended.

Have to say I feel sorry for the guy.A moment of madness and he ends up destroying his career and his reputation.I hope the prison authorities make sure to protect him.The guy he assaulted had no wish for him to be sent down but I suppose with the extreme injuries the judge felt he had no choice.
    moment of madness my hole,thats not a couple of digs there,outright thugery.why would you like to see him protected?more deserving cases for protection i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nobody3

Just goes to show everyone is human.

At the end of the day this was a very serious physical assault on someone whose judgement was impaired. Someone with the training Foley had should have been aware of that and taken steps to defuse the situation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This isn't really related to, or a discussion of, our emergency services. It's personalising AGS down to one bad apple who is exactly where he belongs. I don't know a single LEO who would even try to defend this man or his actions. He has disgraced himself, and associating the word "Garda" with his name will forever be an unfortunate and unavoidable eventuality.

I had closed it last night, but then changed my mind and re-opened it again in the hopes that people wouldn't use it as a vehicle to get sly digs at AGS. Unfortunately this isn't the case. People just can't resist suggesting that this man is representative of the force in its entirety, and so for that reason...

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement