Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counselling psychology

Options
  • 26-05-2011 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

I've been offered two courses in the UK. One is counselling psychology. I've done more reasearch on the course itself and one of the things that came up that has worried me slightly is this:

Please note that, at this level, students will not practice formal counselling skills, but successful completion of the degree could lead to further training to become a Counselling Psychologist

I'm just wondering what this means. My understanding is that this course is the doorway to becoming a counselor after a postgraduate course. I am correct in thinking this? I have been offered counselling and Developmental psychology so I'm figuring out which course I will take, and I worry that the counselling course doesn't offer exactly what I thought. Anyone have more insight from the piece above that they could offer some help in my understanding of the course. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 00paul00

Hi,

A four degree course at colleges in Dublin offer the opportunity to practice counselling skills after year two. Check out Dublin Business School's part time courses. Note sure if they offer a full time course ...I would need to check their website...but have a look anyway.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I have a course lined up and I'm moving abroad to start it. Was wondering if anyone could offer some insight into what exactly the above paragraph refers to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

What it sounds like is that on the course itself you will not be doing any practice of counselling skills or working with clients - but that after you've completed that course successfully you could be eligible to move onto another course/part of the training that does.

We could all give our opinion on what it means, but the only way you'll know for sure is by contacting the college and asking them to clarify. Without even knowing what course it is and what university how would we know? Especially if you are thinking of moving abroad to carry out the course. I would recommend doing a lot of research into any course regarding your expectations of what you will be qualified to do after it.

Best of luck with it whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I thought as much to be honest. I know what I posted was vague but what you said is basically what I was thinking. It seems a postgrad to go further is what I'll have to do, and probably what I will want to do anyway so there is no problem there. Cheers for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PICKLES1

Hello I joined this website recently because I was inquiring about regression therapy. My boyfriend is interested in doing this because he was referred by his therapist to a woman who does regression therapy. I am wondering if regression therapy is a credible source or if it does more bad than good. If anyone could answer this question for me I would be very grateful. He had a terrible childhood and some of the things his therapist would like him to do is quite embarrassing but for her its the point to make him feel that way since it happened to him as a child and I am suppose to help with this so called "therapy". Please Help!:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement