Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much does a bricklayer earn.

Options
  • 26-05-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

im wondering how much a bricklayer earns in ireland (well nothin any more but in the good oul days) . i heard it was somthin around 37k in the states but it varys alot by location.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I think - don't quote me on this - it used to be a eurp a block.

Therefore, a good brickie could earn quite an amount of money in a week. Plus if it rained, they got standing time. And if they worked Saturdays the got extra. And if they worked over time, there was more on top of that. I think.

The hourly rate for a basic labourer is about 14 eur (again I think) and I'd imagine brickies get more than that. Either way, I know they priced themselves out of the market ages ago - designers tend to only put minimum amount of blockwork in many buildings now, due to cost mostly.

All this info is on a site out there somewhere - the CIF or BATU maybe - but I just can't find it for some reason. I'm quoting numbers I heard being thrown around on my previous jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

An ex bricky told me he used to get €2 a brick and on a good dry day he would lay 300. Dont know how true it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

2qk4u wrote: »
    An ex bricky told me he used to get €2 a brick and on a good dry day he would lay 300. Dont know how true it is.

A half decent brickie could easly lay 300+ bricks in a day according to a mate who is a brickie, which could be worth €300+ a day:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pumpit2010

i know lads who were getting between €3 and €4k on certain weeks, but would be no problem for them to have regulary earned between €1 and 2k a week during the boom. Say they were just throwing the blocks up though to get onto the next job.

most of them are doing nothing now though........and wont be for along time to come.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

pumpit2010 wrote: »
    i know lads who were getting between €3 and €4k on certain weeks, but would be no problem for them to have regulary earned between €1 and 2k a week during the boom. Say they were just throwing the blocks up though to get onto the next job.

most of them are doing nothing now though........and wont be for along time to come.............

I think there's a move away from "per brick" to "per day".

I know some people who employ foreign workers (eastern europeans) as painters & they're willing to work for €60-70 a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Oh yeah, there is, but the thing is that per block meant you were making them be productive to earn money (that would be the side that I'd have experience from). It was in their interest to get through the work quickly.2qk4u, 300 blocks a day for a good brickie - no problem. They were pulling in a good 1k - 2k a week when times were good. Easily.

They quite literally priced themselves out of their own market a couple of years ago. Even before the boom ended, major construction projects would limit the amount of blockwork to limit the cost. I believe it got to a stage where the some companies agreed with BATU that they would have a min percentage of blockwork walls in a building's design (say 20% of walls would have to be block) in order to keep the company's brickies in a job. That's the level of cost they were causing employers. Everything else could be plasterboard, or whatever.

I would imagine that most are being priced per day at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

A guy working with me used work as a brickie, he said he used get what he gets for a whole week now for just one days work. He gets €337 now. So €1685 for a five day week.

Advertisement