Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving stuff to London

Options
  • 26-05-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I'm moving to London soon and was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap/reasonable way to move your stuff over without doing multiple trips/driving a car load. I'd basically just be moving my room in the apartment I'm currently in to one in London, so it wouldn't be a huge amount of things. Main things would be guitars/amp, digital piano, xbox, clothes if possible. No furniture or anything. any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jpmiddleton

Hire a cheap van, get on the ferry!

If you hire the van with a company with a base in the UK, you can leave it there.

If you want cheaper than that, you need to ask a mate to lend you a van!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭McMalley

I was looking at renting a small van but I can't find any rental companies that allow hire here and return in the UK. Do you know of any??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Look at the transport company's they usually send a truck daily you might be able to get all your stuff on one if they have space..

Re the vans they wont let you drop off a irish regged van in London Book it up north and hire it up there and maybe they will let you drop it off in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

If your still looking try THESE They picked a pallet, up to a tonne,
    up from my house in Dublin on a Friday and delivered it to my
    new house in Croydon the following Tuesday for €75.
    All you have to do is get the pallet and pack it securely yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gazhoop

BobPresto wrote: »
    If your still looking try THESE They picked a pallet, up to a tonne,
    up from my house in Dublin on a Friday and delivered it to my
    new house in Croydon the following Tuesday for €75.
    All you have to do is get the pallet and pack it securely yourself.

I'll be heading over to London myself in a couple of weeks and have been looking into ways of getting my stuff across. Transland are by far the cheapest but what is the service like. Kinda feels like there must be a catch..!

What kind of stuff did you have on the pallet? Was there any sign of it having been bashed about..? Did it arrive when it should have..? Did they pick it up when they said they would..?

Thanks for the help Bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

I just got a pallet and made a box out of it with 4 sheets of plywood for the sides. Then I filled it up with my stuff, I think I had 7 large boxes, 2 medium, a small desk and a guitar. Put plywood on top and nailed it closed and then wrapped it with black pallet wrap.
    They picked it up on a Friday 10am and it was delivered by Tuesday 12 noon, when they said they would and not a mark on it or anything inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Jaysus that's class!! Wish I had known that before I lugged two heavy suitcases over with me the first time, and then every trip home I would bring back more! Knackered!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gazhoop

BobPresto wrote: »
    I just got a pallet and made a box out of it with 4 sheets of plywood for the sides. Then I filled it up with my stuff, I think I had 7 large boxes, 2 medium, a small desk and a guitar. Put plywood on top and nailed it closed and then wrapped it with black pallet wrap.
    They picked it up on a Friday 10am and it was delivered by Tuesday 12 noon, when they said they would and not a mark on it or anything inside.

Thanks Bob,

Really does seem to be the way to go...once you can trust them to get the stuff over undamaged. Turning the pallet into a box will definitely help with that though!

Some of the prices quoted by 'man and van' services or even getting the ferry over yourself are mad in comparison.

Advertisement