Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heading over to Spa?

Options
  • 26-05-2011 8:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

Think myself and a few friends are getting the ferry to France and driving across to Liege for the Belgian GP at the end of August. Just wondering if anyone has any advice, knows of good easy places to stay, or just whether any other fans from here are gonna be there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

It's more expensive getting the ferry to France and driving than it is to get the ferry to wales and the tunnel to France. I was looking at the relative cost of both trips for 5 people for Nurburgring next month but I don't have my new car yet so I'm now looking at Spa instead. All in all about 11 hours of driving and the stretch from Wales to Dover is the longest stint of the journey.
    The race weekend tickets are a lot more expensive for Spa than they are for Nurburgring The estimate I had for fuel costs, ferry and train, race weekend tickets and camping was about €180 per person for Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Just remember that just because the grand prix is on in Belgium, this doesn't mean you need to stay in Belguim and pay premium rates in dull towns. Germany France and Holland are all a short drive.

Last time i was there we forfeited qualifying and had a ball in Amsterdam ! A bit far though !

Spa itself is a bit like the phoenix park when it comes to scale definitely one of the better ones.

Did you price a ryanair flight and a hire car to one of these nearby countries !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I always stay in Aachen when going to Spa. Last time I flew into Weeze Airport (Dusseldorf) and got the train to Aachen which is right on the border with Belgium. On the Friday practice the Train ticket is fairly expensive to the Grand prix circuit. But on the Saturday and Sunday there is a very cheap ticket you can get from a machine in the ticket office (get a member of staff to show you how to do it on Friday as its in German but its simple). There are buses from Spa up to the circuit on the Sat and Sun but none on Friday so it either get a taxi or bum a lift (quite easy to do).

Ive uploaded the details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Was at Spa last year. Loved the circuit, hated the hotel. Don't stay at the Francorchamps Racing Hotel!

If I was going again, I'd probably go with a travel company that arranges the hotel and buses you in each day. Then just arrange the flights and race tickets myself.

Advertisement