Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website redirect

Options
  • 26-05-2011 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting one of those free .ie domains Blacknight are offering with Google, but as i already have a site with a .net domain how would I redirect the new one to the existing one ? I've looked at 301 directs, but AFAIK you can't use that as Blacknight only give you a webpage builder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

I haven't use blacknight so cant realy comment on that part.

but there are numerous ways of redirecting. You could do it on the server itself which involves editing the servers config files or you could do it using whatever programmin language(s) are supported by the server you want to redirect from.

For example, with PHP use...

header('Location: http://www.google.com/');

Javascript
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    window.location = "http://www.google.com/&quot;
    //-->
    </script>

Perl...

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;

use warnings;

my $url = "http://www.google.com/";

print "Location: $url\n\n";

etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I'm thinking of getting one of those free .ie domains Blacknight are offering with Google, but as i already have a site with a .net domain how would I redirect the new one to the existing one ? I've looked at 301 directs, but AFAIK you can't use that as Blacknight only give you a webpage builder.

Why are you going to the trouble of doing this? How do you see it benefitting you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

You could also add a basic meta refresh.

Don't use Javascript, though, because any chance that you have with SEO at the new URL will be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

cormee wrote: »
    Why are you going to the trouble of doing this? How do you see it benefitting you?

The site I already have comes up on pages 1 to 5 on Google and most other search engines, I'm closing it in feb next year, but wanted to use the advertising I have with the name printed on it. The new site would be a) an .ie domain, b) shorter and c) easier to spell and say !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

The site I already have comes up on pages 1 to 5 on Google and most other search engines, I'm closing it in feb next year, but wanted to use the advertising I have with the name printed on it. The new site would be a) an .ie domain, b) shorter and c) easier to spell and say !

You're going about it backwards so, you should be setting up a 301 redirect from your old site to your new site. Better off just buying a .ie than getting one with possible conditions attached to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement