Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagainín and Beagáinín

Options
  • 25-05-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

You hear the two different pronunciations depending on the dialect and the dropping of the fada seems to be a Donegal pronunciation.

Just to get rid of this niggling doubt is it correct that the fada stays on in the written language when a broad noun like this is slenderized?

Just want to be sure there is no secret rule that means the fada is meant to be dropped when there's slenderization (or inflection?) happening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

pog it wrote: »
    You hear the two different pronunciations depending on the dialect and the dropping of the fada seems to be a Donegal pronunciation.

Just to get rid of this niggling doubt is it correct that the fada stays on in the written language when a broad noun like this is slenderized?

Just want to be sure there is no secret rule that means the fada is meant to be dropped when there's slenderization (or inflection?) happening.
    Not for á, I believe. It does happen for o and e, as I'm sure you know, i.e. eo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Enkidu wrote: »
    Not for á, I believe. It does happen for o and e, as I'm sure you know, i.e. eo.

Sorry Enkidu I'm not fully sure what you mean there with the eo. Do you mean like in ainneoin ? Where it's a long sound but not shown in the written?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Yes, I wasn't very clear at all. I realise though that it's not what your taking about exactly (slenderising), but it is kind of similar, i.e. a long vowel next to a slender consonant.

However you can generate one, ia -> éi, which you probably know.

Advertisement