Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID a bird please?

Options
  • 25-05-2011 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Sorry but no pictures.. Can anyone offer advice or an opinion on what I saw and will try to describe here, I was playing golf on Tuesday 24th May 2011 in Mulranney, Co Mayo. a large dark brown bird, similar in size to a cormorant, but this was no cormorant, flew across one of the fairways about 50-60 yards in front of me, I have never seen anything like it, I estimate the wingspan at about about 4-5 feet, the thinnish tail was as long as the body, the head and shoulders seemed to be chocolate brown down to a lighter brown/cream chest, it flew quite slowly towards the sea very low. I hunted the interweb for hours and the only bird I could find that looks anything like what I saw was a juvenile or female Magnificent Frigatebird but thats a mega rarity I suppose, I'm sure someone will know what I saw.
    Thanks for any help
    allan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

might it have been a Buzzard.
    buzzard.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

Hi Trebor,
    Def not a Buzzard, this thing wasn't a BOP, its wings were too thin and 'albatross' like, I would recognise a buzzard
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Look up some Skuas. It sounds like one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

Ta Srameen.
    Think you are on the money, looked up Skua's it was either an Artic or long tailed Skua and with the length of the tail I'd say it was the latter.
    Was really cool to see something different.
    Thanks for the input
    Cheers
    LTS10.jpg

Advertisement