Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm lovin' it!

Options
  • 25-05-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Leis an caint faoi aistriú "Yes we can" ba mhaith liom ceann a chuir amach nach féidir aistriú go Gaelige, i mo thuairim. Sin é slúan McDonalds, "I'm lovin' it".

Ní féidir é sin a aistriú i gceart go Gaeilge ceapaim. Níl mé inann níos fearr a dhéanamh ná "Is bréa liom é (I love it)" nó "Tá mé ag baint taithneamh as (I'm enjoying it)" ach níl siad seo sach maith.

Tá an slúan seo ar éarraí McDonalds, i go leor teangacha éagsúla, ach ar féidir aistriú Gaeilge ceart nó níos fearr a chuir ar "I'm lovin' it"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

That's mad that you just put that one out there. I really really hope I can find it but I came across a perfect expression in one of máirtín ó cadhain's works and it made me think of this phrase. Really hope I wrote it down and/or can find it in my notes..

It's always the sense of something you want to translate rather than focal ar fhocal.

Ní féidir é sin a aistriú i gceart go Gaeilge ceapaim. Níl mé inann níos fearr a dhéanamh ná "Is bréa liom é (I love it)" nó "Tá mé ag baint taithneamh as (I'm enjoying it)" ach níl siad seo sach maith.

Montreal have you read 'Ceart nó Mícheart' by Seán Ó Ruadháin? It's terrific. I found it in the ilac centre library in January and found loads of great stuff in it..

But one thing that surprised me and that I hadn't previously known or heard anywhere was that he said not to say 'bhain mé taitneamh as' but instead use the verb and say 'thaitin sé liom', etc.

It's one you hear a lot so I never doubted it before that. But this guy Seán Ó Ruadháin was a fantastic writer and native speaker from Mayo. He wrote a novel called 'Pádraig Mháire Bhán' which I think dates to 1930s and got huge praise when it came out. It's a beautiful read with the best of Irish in it so I consider him a very reliable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

No I don't know that book. I would see those two as having two slightly different meanings. I would see "bhain mé taitneamh as" as meaning "I enjoyed it" or "I got enjoyment out of it" while "thaitin sé liom" would be more like "I liked it" or maybe even "It appealed to me". I wouldn't use the word "thaitin" anyway but that's probably due to differences in Galway and Mayo Irish.

No I don't know that book. I would see those two as having two slightly different meanings. I would see "bhain mé taitneamh as" as meaning "I enjoyed it" or "I got enjoyment out of it" while "thaitin sé liom" would be more like "I liked it" or maybe even "It appealed to me". I wouldn't use the word "thaitin" anyway but that's probably due to differences in Galway and Mayo Irish.

Hm he actually said that 'taitneamh a bhaint as' is wrong full-stop and that to say you enjoyed something you should just use the verb (he prob spelt thaitin as thaithnigh but I just wanted to use the caighdeán here).

Like i said it surprised me cause I had thought there was nothing wrong with taitneamh a bhaint as. In the book he focusses in on natural native Irish.

Anyway hope it helps someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I think "Is breá liom é" works. Same intonation, same meaning. Check out the different translations of it. The German one literally means "I love it" and others are similar.

• Advertisement

pog it wrote: »
    Hm he actually said that 'taitneamh a bhaint as' is wrong full-stop and that to say you enjoyed something you should just use the verb (he prob spelt thaitin as thaithnigh but I just wanted to use the caighdeán here).

Like i said it surprised me cause I had thought there was nothing wrong with taitneamh a bhaint as. In the book he focusses in on natural native Irish.

Ceapaim go bhfuil "thaithnigh" níos fearr mar chaighdeán. Sin a dheirtear i gConnamara agus más sin a scríobh mo dhuine! Bheadh an leabhar sin suimiúl ceapaim.

Deirtear go b'iad na daoine a labhraíonn teanga is mó a shocraíonn an caighdéan. Is gearr go mbeidh níos mó Béarlóirí san Ind na tír ar bith eile, mura bhfuil cheana. Tá daoine san Ind ag iarraidh go mbeidh a gcuid Béarla fhéin ar an caighdéan a úsáidtear go h-idirnáisiúnta. Bheadh sé sin suimiúil! :D

Ceapaim go bhfuil "thaithnigh" níos fearr mar chaighdeán. Sin a dheirtear i gConnamara agus más sin a scríobh mo dhuine! Bheadh an leabhar sin suimiúl ceapaim.

Deirtear go b'iad na daoine a labhraíonn teanga is mó a shocraíonn an caighdéan. Is gearr go mbeidh níos mó Béarlóirí san Ind na tír ar bith eile, mura bhfuil cheana. Tá daoine san Ind ag iarraidh go mbeidh a gcuid Béarla fhéin ar an caighdéan a úsáidtear go h-idirnáisiúnta. Bheadh sé sin suimiúil! :D

I learned the Conamara dialect myself Montreal, lived and worked there and focussed in on that dialect solely.

But not everyone does that. A lot of people begin by learning the caighdeán and so when I was writing above I deliberately chose the caighdeán for that reason.

It's also why I'm writing in English now as not everyone who is learning can understand grammatical things in Irish especially when they are starting out or are just starting back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

pog it wrote: »

Maybe there is a slight nuance in 'taitneamh a bhaint as'. when i see that i instantly think of the idiom ' to take a shine to something' which must come from the irish, i'm not sure.
    I have a habit of using 'sult' instead of 'taitneamh', 'sásamh' is another that is sometimes heard to reflect enjoyment in that structure

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Maybe there is a slight nuance in 'taitneamh a bhaint as'. when i see that i instantly think of the idiom ' to take a shine to something' which must come from the irish, i'm not sure.
    I have a habit of using 'sult' instead of 'taitneamh', 'sásamh' is another that is sometimes heard to reflect enjoyment in that structure

Sult I think is a Donegal word mostly, they say 'ar mo sháimhín suilt' instead of 'ar mo sháimhín só' for example.

Yeah all I can say is that Ó Ruadháin said that if you want to say you enjoyed something whatever you do don't say 'bhain mé taitneamh as'. I think he had a problem with the structure full-stop and that maybe the nuance that we may perceive to be there is not natural or native - for that particular phrase.

The noun and verb are otherwise used a lot more than just the verb on its own, like in 'comhairle a chur ar dhuine'. Perhaps that's why taitneamh a bhaint as rud came in, in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Leis an caint faoi aistriú "Yes we can" ba mhaith liom ceann a chuir amach nach féidir aistriú go Gaelige, i mo thuairim. Sin é slúan McDonalds, "I'm lovin' it".

Tá an slúan seo ar éarraí McDonalds, i go leor teangacha éagsúla, ach ar féidir aistriú Gaeilge ceart nó níos fearr a chuir ar "I'm lovin' it"?

Tá mo chroí istigh ann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

To be honest, that's a bit of an invented phrase in my opinion. It still doesn't seem natural to me, so I would actually "translate" it to "I'm really enjoying it" if I'm saying it in Irish English, and would look at someone from here with a raised eyebrow if they said it to me in any context other than that McDonalds advertisement. I don't know what's worse though that or the "and then some" campaign. Anyway, my point is that I guess the "I'm really enjoying it" meaning is easily translatable. Tá mo chuid Gaeilge uafasach, but I did a lot of translation from/into French and Spanish as part of my degree, and while meaning was important, sounding as natural as possible was also vital (like how I feel that "I'm loving it" doesn't :D).

You make a good point there. I guess that "I'm lovin' it" is txt spk for "I'm really enjoying it"! Or for proper txt spk, just "lovin it"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

TBH, you can't translate 'I'm loving it' exactly because it's not actually correct English in the strictest sense. 'I love it' would be the correct grammatical English to express that sentiment. It's like saying 'I'm being happy', when you should actually say 'I am happy'. 'I'm loving it' is American dialect (probably African-American).

So either 'Is breá liom é' or 'Is aoibhinn liom é' (a bit stronger than 'breá') would be correct and as near a translation as you could make.

Advertisement