Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age...too old for Medicine?

Options
  • 25-05-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hello all,

I have been told that there may be a cut-off age for studying Medicine ie 27 years! Is this true??? Surely not. Is there anyone out there studying Medicine at UCC over the age of 30, 40, 50 etc??? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

best bet is to ring UCC themselves. All you will get here is speculation unless someone absolutely knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

Im_EoinD wrote: »
    best bet is to ring UCC themselves. All you will get here is speculation unless someone absolutely knows.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    I did ask UCC and they said that there are mature students studying Medicine. "Mature" is over 23!!
    I would love to hear from a person over 30 studying Med at UCC just to put this rumour to bed ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've heard of people in their 50's studying medicine. I'm pretty sure they can't discriminate against your age like that. I know plenty of people in their late 20s who go for graduate entry medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Know for definite ppl older than this in medicine at the moment!!!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'd be with Faith, don't think they can discriminate on the basis of your age! if you want it, then go for it and grab it with both hands!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

Faith wrote: »
    I've heard of people in their 50's studying medicine. I'm pretty sure they can't discriminate against your age like that. I know plenty of people in their late 20s who go for graduate entry medicine.
    Does'nt stop the Defence Forces or the Guards

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Does'nt stop the Defence Forces or the Guards

thats a different kettle of fish though - the Gardai raised it to 35, and it was allowed by European law iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

Still discriminating against age what ever way you look at it

Still discriminating against age what ever way you look at it

Not when they argued it after the ruling of the Equality Tribunal, its got to do with the requirement to obey superior officers and the physicality of the job etc etc. So technically speaking, while it can be viewed as discrimination, written in law it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

Thank you all for your reply.
    It's good to know that there are students studying Med that may be older than me. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement