Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cormorant Fishermen In China

Options
  • 25-05-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all, I am looking for a TV documentary I saw around 10 or 12 years ago, it was on in the UK, it would have been on either BBC or ITV, it wasn't on Sat/Cable TV I am certain of that but, of course may have been shown since anywhere?

The subject was an elderly Chinese river fisherman who worked the local rivers from a bamboo raft using cormorant birds to do the actual fishing.

The documentary showed the custom of bringing captive birds together at breeding time, the owner of the male involved was given the 'pick of the litter' so to speak, except this wasn't a choice of young birds but the eggs.

The old guy in the film had a way to tell which was a male egg and which was female as it is impotant to choose the right sex for the best workers, also the owner had to stay awake for 5 days and nights along with the chick to imprint himself and have a faithful bird for (it's) life.

It is a beautiful film visually and set in an area something like the shots below, if anyone knows of the film or could tell me the title I would be eternally grateful.
    Thank-you for any help at all on this. Red

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI39PA9IGet0SfcZcyxfQ5cWqqYX5_9vM96px0IgKNgntw6t22LA

[Embedded Image Removed]

Comments

Advertisement