Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wellies

Options
  • 25-05-2011 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Does anyone know best type of wellies to wear riding. I don't want to invest in another pair of riding boots, as I only go riding about once a month. And I have to watch the cents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Honestly, I wouldn't be happy getting on a horse or putting someone on a horse with wellies on. They aren't built for easy escape and riding boots are.

You can get a decent pair of boots for €40 if you shop around. I know that's how much mine were and I got them at the Ploughing Championships last year. Shop around, if you can pick up a cheap pair of boots, it would be worth your time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Hi Amy,

A lot of wellies are not suitable for riding as there grips are too deep and they can be dangerous. We have tried many over the years and now only recommend the Le Chameau range, but not all of them are safe either. I would recommend Le Chameau Country Lady. I know the name is a bit funny but they are a great boot, not the cheapest but will last years. you will find pics here
    or here http://www.lechameau.co.uk/index.php?p=products&category=2&gender=neutral

We stock this brand as they last years, have a two year warranty and we have tested the hell out of them and have not had one back yet for leaking in 4 years. You will find Le Chameau in most of the better tack shops as they usually only allow one or two per county.

I know this is totally bias but we have looked at other wellies and have been asked to stock brands like hunter but we wont as they are getting a very bad reputation. If you need help finding a shop local to you that stocks this brand I could pass on the agents number who supplies them all and he'd help you find someone close.

Hopefully the mods wont be mad at me for this post but if you like this brand Ill help you get them near where ever you live and I have nothing to gain from that just to set the record straight!!!!

Eoghan

JUST to echo what Sup dude says, Id agree that wellies are not ideal but some are better than others. But he is right, a rubber riding boot wont be more than €40 in any tack shop in the country and they are designed for the purpose. You dont need high end leather boots. A lot of people do ride in wellies as the leather boots get destroyed while mucking out. And if you are watching the cents dont buy cheap wellies they'll break your heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 amywise9

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. I looked at the website and have to say that I just couldn't afford to pay €95 for the Le Chemeau wellingtons.

Hi Amy

It's no problem. It's our job to try and help everyone. And your right the Chameau's are up there on the price but I'd urge you not to buy a cheap pair of wells like Dunlop or whatever as they are not designed for rider. Le Chameau are an equestrian brand and safety is paramount. Is there a reason why you don't want to use the standard rubber riding boot?? Also have you a rough budget in mind cause maybe someone else would know a boot that they bought if the know what you can justify on a pair of wellies

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

a standard pair of rubber jodhpur boots shouldnt cost you much more than €25. personally i ride in wellies all the time as i prefer them but im riding my own horse so its my own risk, most riding schools etc wont let you ride without proper footwear!

• Advertisement

I'm sorry silverfox but a quick google search will show you that the average price of boots even from businesses who don't pay high street rent or rates or even have premises sell boots at between 35 and 40 euro. I think it's unfair saying to Amy that you'll find boots for 25 euro. If shops could sell them at that they would fly out the door!! You may find ones on special but they are often odd sizes. Most shop stock the jodhpur boot in leather cause that's what people ask for and these are usually much more expensive. Plus jodhpur boots really require chaps and that's another 25 euro so long boots are cheaper in the long run but a little hot in summer.

But regarding wells in riding schools your dead right and it's a good rule too!!

Regards

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

Hey, you should check out equestrianclearance.com
    I use them all the time as they are much much cheaper then irish stores and the stuff is perfect and they are very reliable!
    If not, Tesco's did their own brand horse wear I cant remember how much they were but I think they were cheap enough.
    And Twomey I would much rather see some one in a wellie then a runner!
    A lot of riding schools still allow students to ride in wellies, be it right or wrong.
    If you buy a good pair of boots (I have mountain horse I love them) they will last you a long time! I wear mine everyday for 12-14hrs and I get 2 years out of them! thats 7 days a week:P so they are well hardy! they cost me £65. Once again I buy from england because the Irish prices were bloody mental!!
    Good luck any way:D Hope that helps:D:)

Hi bully,

Your right runners are so dangerous. I guess it's up to everyone to decide the risk. Just one point regarding the UK and Irish stores. It's important for people to realise that the UK have great buying power and that if we buy off Irish suppliers they are usually 20% more expensive than UK ones. Now we all like to support Irish jobs but as an Irish retailer we are not charging what we do for the fun of it. Doing business in Ireland is getting tougher and tougher.

On another note it's also important for people to realise that the local tack shop is a dying industry. We only have a small Market and probably too many shops. If people do keep buying online with a few years you won't have a local shop. This means on a Saturday when your going for a competition and you need jods you won't be able to get them. I'm not trying to be negative bully lover just important people hear it from both sides. We're a small shop and we're just one of many but it's tough out there. The few euro we make from a boot doesn't go far to Paying the 100 euro a month esb standing charge we have to pay as a business!!!

Anyways Amy bully is right in one thing. There is great value out there at the moment both in shops and online so you won't have to spen much, but he's also right in saying if you can stretch the extra few bob you do get what you pay for. Anyways sorry for slighty going off topic!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

Ireland has always been expensive for riding equipment. I remember buying riding boots for 80punts in a place called Eileens at the back of Grafton street.
    Jods were about 50 punts.
    I would love to know the markup retailers are making.
    I would advise Amy to buy online or go to Tesco or Lidl as they always have riding gear.
    It's about time Irish retailers woke up to the fact consumers have greater choice these days, so prices should reduce.
    It's like the price of petrol and diesel. The prices are fixed by the cabal of retailers such as Topaz, Esso, Maxol etc.

Now Kevin, you shouldnt paint us all with the same brush. The mark up for equestrain is the same as every other retailer, maybe even less on some items especially branded items that have RRP. For example we know we are a hundred euro cheaper for a pair of leather riding boots than one of the shop in a neighbouring county. At our price we still make a few bob, at their price its just rip off. Im quite passionate about this as we fight hard to beat the big shops and give value but we still need to pay rent, rates, vat etc etc and you would be shocked at what you need to turnover just to cover the basics, I guess thats why so many shops fail.

Anyways regarding tesco, with the wellies just check the grips. As a few of us have said if there is too deep a grip it could lead to serious injury.

Oh and Amy Ive sent you a PM with a link of a boot for €30, best I could find.

Regards,

Eoghan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

homestead saddlery do a number of boots for between €25 and €30 euro. for someone riding only once a month or so, chaps are not really necessary, think of the number of pony club children you see riding in short boots and jodhpurs. unless you are riding for long periods of time or regularly chaps are not completely necessary, especially if you are working on a budget. as regards to being "unfair" to Amy, i think she can probably discover for herself whether prices are accurate or not! it is important to be aware that at the end of the day horse-riding at any level is NOT a budget sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

If your only riding once a month and not in a rush wait until Dublin is on in August (The Dublin Horse Show at the RDS) and head over to Holmestead or one of the other trade stands. You get really cheap stuff there especially if you wait until the last day, the Sunday.

But bear in mind you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Duracell Man

Check out http://www.wellies.ie/ they have a great range, good value too & free delivery, can't argue with that!
    I ordered some and they arrived the next day.
    The way to go!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

just ordered a pair of steel toecapped Dunlop wellies from here for less than a tenner http://www.arcosafety.ie/browse/Footwear/Wellingtons/Safety%20and%20Non-Safety%20Wellingtons

AND free delivery in Ireland

They'll do me for yard-work leaving more money for a nice pair of riding boots I reckon !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Miss W

Why not just invest in a pair of long rubber riding boots? They are waterproof like wellies but would also be much safer to ride in and require almost no maintenance if you dont get to use them for a while. Any local tack shop near me has no problem putting items aside so I can pay them off over time either if cost is an issue

Advertisement