Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should i be paying

Options
  • 25-05-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking at having a website designed for my shop and wanted to get a few opinions on pricing.

The quotes from different companies vary wildly from 3,000 euros to 8,500!!

This seems a lot to me, are these standard prices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

If you were getting an ecommerce site with high end design which accepted payments and communicated with your shop's stock and accounts system then 8,500 would be fair.

If you are getting a ten page static site built but the designer was one of the best in Ireland, then 3,000 would be fair.

If you are getting a Joomla template with an commerce plugin then 3,000 would be a rip off.

You would have to look at what they are offering with their quotes.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Weiland, what do you want the website to do - what is your overall goal with the site?

What did you send in the brief to the designers?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alex23

Hi

8000€ is way to much.I got three websites,ecommerce,seo done,great picture,1k each

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

alex23 wrote: »
    8000€ is way to much.I got three websites,ecommerce,seo done,great picture,1k each
    It's impossible to make a comment like that without knowing far more about the site, the specific requirements and what functionality is needed to make it work.

If the site requires work to be tied in with an existing stock management system, the licence to use this could cost over €1k on its own before any work is even started to integrate it with the site. As both Freddio and Cianos have pointed out, it all depends on what weiland needs from the site and what the developers are offering for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

As Paul says, it's impossible to tell - it's like saying 8k is way too much to spend on a car because I got one for 1k :)

• Advertisement

When i asked for quotation for my website i got quotations from 800 to 5k,its all about shopping around
    try inov8 from co louth,you might save 7k

thank u

The first example I looked at

<!-- Start editing template here -->
    If you are getting a Joomla template with an commerce plugin then 3,000 would be a rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Busnardo

My mate runs a plumbing supplies company in Louth. His site cost 4k. He is almost computer illiterate so that included:

- Help with getting product details, dimensions, images, pricing etc. and adding it to an excel spreadsheet.
    - Fully customised site design
    - Logo design and branding
    - Brief training on how to run the store
    - Some great tips on marketing

You could pay more for more advanced features like super fancy image slideshows and over the top design. You could also pay for SEO. But if you're willing to help out with the work (getting the designer what he needs) then 4k should get you a very nice site.

I think http://www.beulahprint.ie designed his ecommerce site.

Well the websites business is with no regulation at the moment,people without any experience buiding websites and people with experience charging as much as they want.The man incharge of my website made me the wrong disign for some reason,some mix up,i rang him to complain and in the same day he build another website for me.The disign is unic,great seo done on it and ecommerce.Full job from the start to the end 1 week.So it can be done in few days.4K its alot of cash in those times.Unless you have 100k accounts with logg in passwords for your customers i cant see what can cost so much!
    By the way,what kind of business are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Well the websites business is with no regulation at the moment,people without any experience buiding websites and people with experience charging as much as they want.The man incharge of my website made me the wrong disign for some reason,some mix up,i rang him to complain and in the same day he build another website for me.The disign is unic,great seo done on it and ecommerce.Full job from the start to the end 1 week.So it can be done in few days.4K its alot of cash in those times.Unless you have 100k accounts with logg in passwords for your customers i cant see what can cost so much!
    By the way,what kind of business are you in?

Please show me this magic !? Design can be done in 5 minutes, the inauthenticity/bad user interface/ugly aesthetically/graphic heavy are the common problems any educated end user will notice..

Those are just common BUZZ words, from the 90's

Again, time varys depending on project and skill, this does not mean all websites can be done in a few days

Ofcourse there is no regulation and there never will be, you get what you pay for, if you get 4 websites done for a small amount then i guaranty it, they are not great websites by any standard.
    I've spent time getting my qualifications and experience, i put all my effort into the design and the development process, thinking about every possible outcome, from compatibility issues to good user interface design, just because the customer see's websites as simple brochures or adverts is not my problem.
    Think of it as going to a restaurant, you'll get food in McDonalds and in The Hilton, its the quality that will differ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 shanno06

Before I got involved in the Web Industry, I would have thought the same as most people that 8k is ridiculous. However as I work as a developer in one of the leading companies in Ireland, when you take into account the project may take 2 weeks to complete. You may have 4 qualified pro's working on your project for two weeks. That's 2 weeks wages for 4 people. Then you have to take into account administration and the company profit also.

Then all of a sudden 8k doesn't seem like much at all. But then again most of our clients are major national or multi-nationals. Ill drop you a PM anyway because I do a bit on the side for smaller businesses and as everyone else has said I wont be anything near 8k (let alone 1k!).

Please check your inbox.
    Regards.

I use to buy carpet cleaning products from Musgrave.5 litre of evans extract 19 euros in any Musgrave in Dublin.Same evans extract carpet cleaning oin uk is 8.99 pounds with vat included.So we need around 50 5 litres bottles per week,thats around 200 per month and 2400 per year.Getting my stuff from uk saves me 6 euros per 5 litres, 2400 x 6 = 14 400€ saving in omly one product.Then,i get the cleaning rags from livberties reccycling, bluebell,6 euros per pack, same rags cost 24€ in chemical direct in dublin 15.
    All i am sayng is shop around.Get quotations from uk and asia,you dont need to spend the money around Dublin if people are nuts in their prices. I save 40k per year ordering stuff from uk.
    Is the same in website business.I dont belive any website should cost more than 1k.That s the main reason why only 10% of irish businesses have an website.In france you get great grants and in romania and poland you can have any website,any size,build for 500€.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

If you aren't going to take your business seriously then why would a professional web agency?

All i am sayng is shop around.Get quotations from uk and asia,you dont need to spend the money around Dublin if people are nuts in their prices.
    By All means go to Bangalore. Let me know how you get on.

Advertisement