Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alesis Multimix Firewire/Cubase Problem

Options
  • 25-05-2011 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Got an Alesis Multimix16 Firewire recently, using it with Cubase 5. Basically when I switch the ASIO driver in Cubase to the Alesis one cubase slows to a crawl. This is without even having a project open, or input assigned. Anyone else run into this problem? I've done the usual solutions, restarting, reinstalling, updating drivers, trying older drivers, the problem persists! Googling tells me it may be down to the firewire chipset I have, does anyone else have any ideas?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

JakHicks wrote: »
    Got an Alesis Multimix16 Firewire recently, using it with Cubase 5. Basically when I switch the ASIO driver in Cubase to the Alesis one cubase slows to a crawl. This is without even having a project open, or input assigned. Anyone else run into this problem? I've done the usual solutions, restarting, reinstalling, updating drivers, trying older drivers, the problem persists! Googling tells me it may be down to the firewire chipset I have, does anyone else have any ideas?!

Could well be the chipset - it's a common thing that catches people out with firewire. A workaround for you:-

Find what chipsets are good for the Alesis (guessing Texas Instruments)

Then buy a cheap PCI card with Texas Instruments chip on and device should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

I have never had a slow responding program because of a bad FW card.

Try downloading ASIO4ALL and monitor the issues.

Having said that you would need a Texas Instruments chipset regardless when working with Windows and FW audio.

Its a minor plus side to macs is that they generally use the same parts across their ranges where with Windows a Lidl machine could be made with such cheap components compared to a high end Toshiba.

Try this also:
    http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1030

That cleared up a problem I was having with a Focusrite Liquid mix over my internal (not texas instrument) firewire card.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JakHicks

Cool, ill try ASIO4all and let ye know how i get on. If needs be I'll get a new FW card, but the less money I've to spend the better. Ye know ye'reselves :p

And i kinda figured it was unusual for it to actually function but slow the program down.. i might try it with audacity or something free in a while and see if its a cubase issue

tried it with legacy drivers, same problem. Installed reaper which showed the inputs but when i tired to arm a track it crashed. ASIO4all just stalled cubase completely... think i need a new FW card :(

• Advertisement

It was something you would need to buy anyway.

Care to share some specs of your machine?

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1071
    That is guaranteed to fix anything but it is a good guide to set your comp up for audio.

I dont do all of what is on the list as I use my laptop as an everyday computer too and I wove the visual lovelies!

This is the laptop im using... http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/A500/A505-S6025/

Like I've using a USB 16 track alesis to record, but it only gives a main mix out because its usb 1.1 (and very cheap for that reason) pre amps are great for the price though... I recorded 18 or 19 tracks individually and played them back in cubase, all with inserts (reverb, compressors, guitar rig etc) and the laptop can handle it no hassle, upgraded to a OCZ SSD vertex 2 as well, if ye're familiar with them... crazy speed! will i be able to get a texas instruments express card FW? I cant find any on pixmania etc?

JakHicks wrote: »
    This is the laptop im using... http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/A500/A505-S6025/

Like I've using a USB 16 track alesis to record, but it only gives a main mix out because its usb 1.1 (and very cheap for that reason) pre amps are great for the price though... I recorded 18 or 19 tracks individually and played them back in cubase, all with inserts (reverb, compressors, guitar rig etc) and the laptop can handle it no hassle, upgraded to a OCZ SSD vertex 2 as well, if ye're familiar with them... crazy speed! will i be able to get a texas instruments express card FW? I cant find any on pixmania etc?

Ok, with a laptop there is a known work around. As a laptops firewire chip is onboard and you can't sort this out easily as a desktop owner.

You'l need either a pcmcia / express card from SIIG - they use Texas chips for their breakout cards.

No software will fix this issue - just to make that clear.

Ah ok, thats understandable! just thought the fact that it picked up the mixer at all would be hope! I'll go on the look out for an SIIG card, thanks! :) Will be back if i've any other hassle!

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Ok, with a laptop there is a known work around. As a laptops firewire chip is onboard and you can't sort this out easily as a desktop owner.

You'l need either a pcmcia / express card from SIIG - they use Texas chips for their breakout cards.

No software will fix this issue - just to make that clear.

Indeed, the built in FW port on my Toshiba P300 is not good enough for audio so I got a FW400 express card from Maplin. Handy thing about maplin is someone asked about this very subject on their site so they can confirm its Texas instruments based. The brand is ST LABS. No problems with mine for the last 3 years.

• Advertisement

bbk wrote: »

Is that TI chipset? - or have you link to the spec sheet? - can't see that on page.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Is that TI chipset? - or have you link to the spec sheet? - can't see that on page.

Yes. Despite Maplin having the wrong picture that is the card I purchased off of them. Maplin confirmed it was TI before I bought it. I was very strict on this.

ST Labs do make two versions (both of which Maplin doesnt have the correct picture for) of their 1394a express card which is new so to make sure and in case Maplin for whatever reason decided to stock a different model over the other take a gander at the following link and take out of the specific codes and get them to personally find the card for you in the shop.

http://www.st-lab.com/assign.asp?keyid=bo1

Advertisement