Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science

Options
  • 24-05-2011 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Lads just want to know what are the job prospects from getting a degree in computer science?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I just finished my exams there last week, and anyone in my class looking for a job seems to have got one. I know one guy likely to be coming out with a Pass degree landed a very good job this week. The industry is booming and theres a severe lack of developers in the country (a problem thats likely to get worse over the next few years). I got offered a few jobs and its hilariously easy to get interviews.

I think its one of the few courses you're almost guaranteed to get a job out of in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭jimcoolding

Jayo_M wrote: »
    I just finished my exams there last week, and anyone in my class looking for a job seems to have got one. I know one guy likely to be coming out with a Pass degree landed a very good job this week. The industry is booming and theres a severe lack of developers in the country (a problem thats likely to get worse over the next few years). I got offered a few jobs and its hilariously easy to get interviews.

I think its one of the few courses you're almost guaranteed to get a job out of in the end.
    Brilliant, thanks.

And at the risk of overstepping the mark, may I ask whether the pay is any good? You don't have to give me an exact figure just a ballpark figure!

cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

The range seems to be between 26-33k, I've taken a job of 30k with a bucketload of benefits and chance of a 10% rise within the next year. You can get bigger money with the likes of Credit Suisse in London, heard the figure of around 40k sterling. If you're one of those genius-like graduates you can get seriously massive money straight out of college.

The thing about Software Development and the like is that after you get 5 years industry experience, the opportunities are endless and even a quick look through monster.ie will show you the sort of money you could be looking at.

Another thing you might want to consider is that you can literally work anywhere in the world with the degree.

Thanks alot man, greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I took the London route mentioned above because after finishing the cs degree I didn't want to stay in a traditional IT role. The money in the financial industry for a CS grad is crazy

• Advertisement

x43r0 wrote: »
    I took the London route mentioned above because after finishing the cs degree I didn't want to stay in a traditional IT role. The money in the financial industry for a CS grad is crazy
    Is it more difficult to get jobs/interviews in places like London than here in Ireland?

I want to go to America, just wondering if that'd be too difficult to get over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Is it more difficult to get jobs/interviews in places like London than here in Ireland?

I want to go to America, just wondering if that'd be too difficult to get over there?

I don't know really. I interviewed for jobs in both countries and got 2 offers from London and 1 from Ireland. The reason London is more attractive compared to the US is that getting a visa to work in the US is tricky and might put off some companies

Thanks man.

It's 315 points in UCC so hopefully with a bit of luck I get in.

Advertisement